Promitheus TVC passive preamp anyone?

SoundQuest

Re: Promitheus TVC passive preamp anyone?
« Reply #2140 on: 9 Sep 2007, 11:58 am »
Just received my Apollo from Nick yesterday, and the sound has been impressive the moment it took over duties from my passive pre.  Unlike the photo on the Promitheus website, my unit comes with two additional switches on the front next to the volume knobs and I think it is used to activate/deactivate the buffer.  Will confirm once I receive the instructions manual from Nick later. 

Overall, I am mightily impressed with the quality of the finish on the unit and the sound.  Will break it in slow and enjoy it.

Bk

tanchiro58

« Reply #2141 on: 9 Sep 2007, 03:44 pm »
Unlike the photo on the Promitheus website, my unit comes with two additional switches on the front next to the volume knobs and I think it is used to activate/deactivate the buffer.

SoundQuest,

Would you take some pictures of your Apollo preamp to show us? Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Tan

SoundQuest

« Reply #2142 on: 10 Sep 2007, 01:29 pm »
Ok, here are the pics.  I ordered mine in original TVC red.  Wonderful colour.

The two switches are located next to the volume knobs.

tanchiro58

« Reply #2143 on: 10 Sep 2007, 03:59 pm »
SoundQuest,

Thank you very much for your time and effort. I have already ordered mine but do not know how long does it take even though Nick told me it takes three weeks to be done. Very nice pictures. Thanks again.

SoundQuest

« Reply #2144 on: 10 Sep 2007, 09:12 pm »
SoundQuest,

Thank you very much for your time and effort. I have already ordered mine but do not know how long does it take even though Nick told me it takes three weeks to be done. Very nice pictures. Thanks again.

I think you may have to wait quite a while. I ordered mine in Jun.  My guess is the hand-rubbing is about 2-3 months.

Cincy_bob

« Reply #2145 on: 12 Sep 2007, 11:39 pm »
Well, I took delivery of my Reference Dual-Box TVC on Monday.  Right on schedule.  I am currently allowing the TVC to run in, although I must say that the performance was very impressive right out of the box.

I ordered some BHP, which will, hopefully, be delivered some time next week.

Ray, you provided me with detailed dimensions and instructions for using the BHP to properly damp the transformers, top and bottom plate of the single-box TVC.  Can you provide some guidance as to how I might modify those instructions for my dual-box TVC?  I assume that I will need to modify the dimensions and mounting location of the pieces of BHP that attach to the top and bottom plates, but I would greatly appreciate some guidance here.

Thanks for your help!

launche

• ...on being an audiophile...no.
« Reply #2146 on: 12 Sep 2007, 11:46 pm »
Bob, where'd you get the BHP stuff from and I also need some guidance on using it.

Thanks

goldlizsts

• Let Music Flow!
« Reply #2147 on: 13 Sep 2007, 01:37 am »
Bob, where'd you get the BHP stuff from and I also need some guidance on using it.

Thanks

I posted earlier asking for help (guidance) on the BHP cut dimensions for the REF 3 (single box dual mono) TVC, nobody seemed to care to answer.  I am asking again, if someone in this thread is kind enough to help.  Thanks in advance.

Cincy_bob

« Reply #2148 on: 13 Sep 2007, 03:16 am »

Thanks

Launche -

I bought my BHP from Speaker City:

http://www.speakercity.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=SC&Product_Code=damping-bhp&Category_Code=damping

For instructions on how to use the BHP to damp the transformers and the top and bottom plates for the single-box TVCs, look at pg. 209 of this thread where Ray Bronk provided all the details.

- Bob

Cincy_bob

« Reply #2149 on: 13 Sep 2007, 03:18 am »

Thanks

I posted earlier asking for help (guidance) on the BHP cut dimensions for the REF 3 (single box dual mono) TVC, nobody seemed to care to answer.  I am asking again, if someone in this thread is kind enough to help.  Thanks in advance.

Goldlizsts, see Ray Bronk's instructions on page 209 of this thread.

guest1632

« Reply #2150 on: 13 Sep 2007, 06:31 am »

Thanks

Launche -

I bought my BHP from Speaker City:

http://www.speakercity.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=SC&Product_Code=damping-bhp&Category_Code=damping

For instructions on how to use the BHP to damp the transformers and the top and bottom plates for the single-box TVCs, look at pg. 209 of this thread where Ray Bronk provided all the details.

- Bob

Hi Cincy_bob,

I haven't seen a dual box TVC, so as far as the strips go, don't know what to tell you. i'll try and get in touch with Rollo, and see what he says.

As far as the transformers go, the same would apply for placement of the BHP. Putting that last piece on the bottom, is like icing on the cake.

Ray

goldlizsts

• Let Music Flow!
« Reply #2151 on: 13 Sep 2007, 09:24 am »

Hi Cincy_bob,

I haven't seen a dual box TVC, so as far as the strips go, don't know what to tell you. i'll try and get in touch with Rollo, and see what he says............................

Ray
[/quote]

Charles has a dual box also. 

goldlizsts

• Let Music Flow!
« Reply #2152 on: 13 Sep 2007, 09:28 am »

Goldlizsts, see Ray Bronk's instructions on page 209 of this thread...........
[/quote]

Thanks Cincy_bob.  I thought that was for the regular TVC vs. the dual mono, so it'd be different for the dual mono?  Is that correct, Ray (Blonk)?

guest1632

« Reply #2153 on: 13 Sep 2007, 10:53 am »

Thanks Cincy_bob.  I thought that was for the regular TVC vs. the dual mono, so it'd be different for the dual mono?  Is that correct, Ray (Bronk)?
[/quote]

Hi goldlizsts,

The only difference in my instructions are the 6x2 strips that you would put down on the top and bottom of the TVC. Because you only have one transformer in each box, don't know if the 6x2 strip would apply here.

As far as putting BHP on each Transformer, that would still apply.

What you are doing here, is to dampen the transformer's frame, and if you put a piece under the transformer itself, it will have the effect of dampening the core itself from vibrations. All I know, ... is that it works.

i will try to get in touch with Rollo today, and see what he did as far as to any further dampening of the chassis of each box.

Ray Bronk

jonners

« Reply #2154 on: 15 Sep 2007, 09:24 am »
  Very favourable mention of the Promitheus TVC by Andrew Harrison in the November Hi-Fi News.

Gaara

« Reply #2155 on: 15 Sep 2007, 04:45 pm »
Who has the most recent Stereophile with the Recommended Components list?

Guess what pre is nestled in Class B with a bunch of $2000+ preamps?

GHM

« Reply #2156 on: 15 Sep 2007, 04:53 pm »
Quote from: Gaara link=topic=31621.msg#msg date=

I haven't seen it, but that is very cool for sure! :D

Cincy_bob

« Reply #2157 on: 15 Sep 2007, 08:45 pm »

I did see that in the latest issue of the magazine.  While the Class B ranking is certainly an achievement, I have to admit that I am wondering why it is that the TVC did not warrant an even higher rating as a Class A component.

In my reference audio system, I have been running in my new Promitheus Reference Dual-Box TVC for a little over 100 hours now.  (So it's still just a baby...)  The TVC has temporarily taken the place of my darTZeel preamp in my reference system while I allow the TVC to run in and while I am assembling my second system - an SET system that will feature the TVC, 300B tube amps and single point source crossoverless speakers.

I have been very pleasantly surprised at the unbelievable sound quality of this TVC.  It is far more competitive with the darTZeel preamp than I imagined it could possibly be - so much so that I am honestly scratching my head about why the Stereophile writers did not classify the TVC among the Class A preamplifiers.  I can't imagine that the Placette resistor-based passive - which has been classified as a Class A component for quite some time - offers any meaningful sonic advantage over the Promitheus TVC.

Based on what I am hearing through this TVC, I have very high expectations for the sound quality of the SET system I am in the process of assembling around it.  And I am very interested to see/hear what Nicholas has in store with the new Signature version of the TVC that he intends to debut in a couple of months featuring double-C core transformers...   :thumb:

guest1632

« Reply #2158 on: 16 Sep 2007, 01:31 am »

Thanks Cincy_bob.  I thought that was for the regular TVC vs. the dual mono, so it'd be different for the dual mono?  Is that correct, Ray (Blonk)?
[/quote]

Hi Goldlizsts,

I finally talked to Rollo today, and he did not put any BHP on his dualboxed TVC's top and bottom plate. Just use the BHP on top, sides and bottom of the two transformers. Apparently, the transformers on the dual boxed units must be in the center of the box. When you put the lid on, apparently with the BHP in place, it kills any resonances from the two plates.

By the way, if anyone wishes to contact Charles Rollo directly concerning what he has done with the TVC's, you can contact him at:

CROLLO1@nyc.rr.com

He says he misses the group here.

Ray

NewBuyer

« Reply #2159 on: 16 Sep 2007, 03:22 am »
...I am very interested to see/hear what Nicholas has in store with the new Signature version of the TVC that he intends to debut in a couple of months featuring double-C core transformers...   :thumb:

Have you heard anything from Nicholas? I hope he is ok, haven't heard from him or seen him around here in a little while it seems...