does stone make a good platter or base?

beat

« on: 14 Feb 2003, 04:12 pm »
I'm thinking of delving into the DIY TT world. Considering the differences in granite, marble, and sandstone, they would probably all perform differently right? Are we best off with the tried and true acrylic?

beat

« Reply #1 on: 14 Feb 2003, 05:12 pm »
dang, It took me over an hour to figure out how to post that pic..phew!! now I know.

nathanm

« Reply #2 on: 15 Feb 2003, 03:48 am »
Nice piece of rock!  Might as well use it I say.  It can't be beat, beat. :wink:

Marbles

« Reply #3 on: 15 Feb 2003, 03:58 am »
While I have NO experience to back up my opinion, I think marble would make a much better base than platter.

In fact I'd really like to try it some day.

Seems like a lead filled acrylic platter is all the rage right now.  I think that a marble platter might ring like glass...but I could be all wrong too.

beat

« Reply #4 on: 15 Feb 2003, 05:46 am »
so I'm guessing the platter you want to be sonicly dead? which must be why the shot filled acrylic is the rage. If so, and I wanted to keep the stone theme going, Id have better luck with a sandstone for the platter. It would have a less crystaline structure. I suppose I would coat it with surfboard resin. If I do this I will be calling on you all alot in the near future to share your expertise.

nathanm

« Reply #5 on: 15 Feb 2003, 06:51 am »
I think the piece in the picture would make a nice base, not necessarily a platter, although I suppose if you have the tools to work with such material it would be interesting.

Tonto Yoder

« Reply #6 on: 15 Feb 2003, 12:51 pm »
Quote from: beat
so I'm guessing the platter you want to be sonicly dead? which must be why the shot filled acrylic is the rage. If so, and I wanted to keep the stone theme going, Id have better luck with a sandstone for the platter. It would have a less crystaline structure. I suppose I would coat it with surfboard resin. If I do this I will be calling on you all alot in the near future to share your expertise.

Check out this link to Walker Prscenium, specifically his use of lead for his platter.

http://www.walkeraudio.com/proscenium_turntable.htm

I understand this Walker TT sounds fairly good. :D

Tonto Yoder

Slightly relevant thoughts from Atma-Sphere
« Reply #7 on: 16 Feb 2003, 12:39 pm »
http://www.atma-sphere.com/208.htm

You might find these adventures relevant to a DIY TT--Atma-Sphere upgraded an older Empire TT to use as their reference.  Their work with resonance should be relevant to a DIY TT (though not specifically to stone as a plinth).

beat

« Reply #8 on: 17 Feb 2003, 01:00 am »
wow,
those are very cool, great food for thought. Thanks guys. I'll post more when I figure out how I'm goin to do it.