Lowther TP-1A

Davey

Lowther TP-1A
« on: 27 Apr 2012, 01:09 am »
Anyone have an idea what a Lowther TP-1A speaker (a single speaker, not a pair) in beautiful condition would sell for on the market nowadays?  (I have my eye on one.)  :)

It's just like one of these:

http://www.roger-russell.com/eico/lowther.htm

Thanks,

Dave.

Freo-1

Re: Lowther TP-1A
« Reply #1 on: 29 Apr 2012, 07:15 pm »
Took a look on Audiogon.

A rough guess is between 150.00 to 200.00.  They were sold in pairs, so double the listed price.

milford3

« Reply #2 on: 29 Apr 2012, 07:33 pm »
http://www.roger-russell.com/eico/lowther.htm

Fantastic website.  The history of speaker design.

JoshK

« Reply #3 on: 29 Apr 2012, 07:50 pm »
A piece of history...no idea the value, but I'd probably buy it, pair it with a mono stereo and enjoy it.

srb

« Reply #4 on: 29 Apr 2012, 08:43 pm »
..... pair it with a mono stereo and enjoy it.

I'll take that to mean a "mono mono" or a "mono system"!

JoshK

« Reply #5 on: 29 Apr 2012, 09:00 pm »
yep...got me...I am so used to saying Stereo as a generic for the amp... I meant a Mono amp.

Davey

« Reply #6 on: 1 May 2012, 10:49 pm »
Thanks for the feedback.

$150.00-200.00?  :)  No, I don't think so.  I found a pair that were advertised for $6000.00....back in 2008.  I believe this (single) speaker should easily be worth half that.  I was just wondering if anyone had any recent knowledge.

Anyways, these were sold as singles back in the day.....because stereo was a new-fangled invention back then.  :)

Actually, when you listen to a speaker like this you begin to appreciate how far speaker system capability has progressed.  Not very far.  :)

Cheers,

Dave.

Freo-1

« Reply #7 on: 1 May 2012, 11:01 pm »
Thanks for the feedback.

$150.00-200.00?  :)  No, I don't think so.  I found a pair that were advertised for $6000.00....back in 2008.  I believe this (single) speaker should easily be worth half that.  I was just wondering if anyone had any recent knowledge.

Anyways, these were sold as singles back in the day.....because stereo was a new-fangled invention back then.  :)

Actually, when you listen to a speaker like this you begin to appreciate how far speaker system capability has progressed.  Not very far.  :)

Cheers,

Dave.

Well, that was the price listed on Audiogon.  Perhaps the Audiogon suggested average used price is in error? 

Update: The A'gon listing is in error.  Thanks for pointing this out.  :thumb:
« Last Edit: 2 May 2012, 12:27 am by Freo-1 »

Æ

« Reply #8 on: 1 May 2012, 11:09 pm »
yep...got me...I am so used to saying Stereo as a generic for the amp... I meant a Mono amp.

By the way, most people equate stereo with two channels of amplification, but stereo can have any number of channels. Comes from a Greek root-word meaning solid, as in a wall of sound, a soundstage.

srb

« Reply #9 on: 1 May 2012, 11:23 pm »
By the way, most people equate stereo with two channels of amplification, but stereo can have any number of channels. Comes from a Greek root-word meaning solid, as in a wall of sound, a soundstage.

Word derivation aside, any links to a "stereo" amplifier for sale that has something other than two channels?  (Other than an AV receiver with a "5-channel stereo" mode like I have?)

Steve

Æ

« Reply #10 on: 2 May 2012, 12:23 am »
Word derivation aside, any links to a "stereo" amplifier for sale that has something other than two channels?  (Other than an AV receiver with a "5-channel stereo" mode like I have?)

Steve

Here is another technical fact I'm sure you'll appreciate. Headphones are not 'stereo'. Well one or two headphone manufacturers claim to actually have acheived stereo by some sort of cross feed technique. Technically speaking, two separate transducers one for each ear and only one for each ear is binaural.