Catch of the Day: Vinyl You've Recently Bought

orthobiz

Re: Catch of the Day: Vinyl You've Recently Bought
« Reply #60 on: 30 Oct 2009, 12:50 am »
OK: another DoFP question: there's the original mastering and then there's the late mastering. There are a few difference between them, the one that sticks out in my mind is on Side 2.

The first song, "The Afternoon," ends with "Time to Get Away" and it melts into "Evening..." For the original mix, they sing (I think) "Evening, time to get away" more than once and it fades into the next song. On the original mix, they sing that three times. On the later mix, they only sing it twice.

So (like nobody has anything better to do), how many times do they sing it on the Speakers Corner reissue? You see, from what I've read, the original mix may be better and it would mean I should look for a European copy vs. a reissue. Jerome has that original copy, if it's an import, maybe he can dig it up when not tired and give it a spin...

Paul

jsaliga

• Restricted
  • Vinyl Provocateur
    • The Spinning Record
« Reply #61 on: 30 Oct 2009, 01:00 pm »
Fascinating.  I knew there were slightly different mixes but that was never important enough to me personally to know more or persue a copy of them for my collection.

I don't necessarily have "better" things to do, but I have "other" things to do that would probably be more of a priority than what you are asking of me.  For example, I have a rather large pile of new audiophile vinyl that is still sitting in the shrinkwrap waiting for a visit to my turntable.  I definitely want to compare my original Deram pressing to the Speakers Corner reissue, and I said as much earlier.  However, it isn't a particular priority of mine and I will most likely get to at a moment of convenience.  At this time I can't say when precisely that will be or make any promises.  I have a lot of vinyl that is reasonably well organized in my storage racks, but unfortunately I also have a lot that isn't.  My original pressing is stored in a rack with a jumbled lot of about 500 LPs.  And getting that rack reorganized is something that is on my to-do list for when I next take some time off of work.

--Jerome   

ecramer

• Volunteer
  • In time whats deserved always get served.
« Reply #62 on: 30 Oct 2009, 01:14 pm »
I find the whole thing of pressings and mixes much of a bother for me . If there's a better sounding copy i'm inteersted but i don't care if its new 180 gr vinyl,  reissue or the original that's the only thing i'm into. what label when it was made has nothing to do with if i am going to pick it up.  If its clean and looks good that's it no multible copys for me the best sounding one stays and the other one goes. I just don't get why people have 8 copys of the same lp  :scratch: 
« Last Edit: 30 Oct 2009, 06:16 pm by ecramer »

jsaliga

• Restricted
  • Vinyl Provocateur
    • The Spinning Record
« Reply #63 on: 30 Oct 2009, 02:02 pm »
I just get why people have 8 copys of the same lp  :scratch:

Some people are collectors.  That shouldn't be too difficult to understand.  I am both a music lover and a collector.  Some albums I will own multiple copies of and in several formats.  Days of Furture Passed is a great album, but it is not something I feel strongly enough about to get anal over owning every pressing.  On the other hand, Kind of Blue...oh yeah.  I have several different vinyl pressings as well as a 1/4" 4-track stereo tape, Redbook CD, and SACD.  Why?  Simply because I want them, and I have never needed any more justification than that.

And as an audophile I absolutely do care what it's pressed on and what label it comes from.  Many vinyl reissues pressed in the 1980s are absolute junk.  In contrast Speakers Corner, for example, typically does very nice 180g pressings that have very low surface noise.  If loud rock is your bag then that may not be very important to you, but as a jazz lover let me say that if you are a fan of 1950s and 60s jazz, finding decent sounding original Verve and Blue Note pressings is becoming more and more of a chore, and it is getting more expensive than ever.  So I appreciate being able to buy high quality pressings because you usually get what you pay for.  Yes, you can still buy a plain vanilla vinyl reissue of Everybody Digs Bill Evans from Concord for $10, and it doesn't hold a candle to the 45 RPM 180g Analogue Productions pressing that was remastered by Steve Hoffman and costs $50.  I own them both.  Just try to find a NM original Riverside pressing of it for less than the low side of $500.

--Jerome
« Last Edit: 30 Oct 2009, 04:34 pm by jsaliga »

vinyl_lady

« Reply #64 on: 30 Oct 2009, 08:12 pm »
Yesterday I received my deluxe box set of String Cheese Incident's Trick or Treat. It contains a 180 gram double album plus 11 CDs of some of the band's most classic Incidents from Halloween's past at Atlanta's Variety Playhouse (1998) Philadelphia's Electric Factory (1999), Portland, ME's State Theatre (2000), New York City (2001), Shrine Auditorium (2002) in Los Angeles, Sin City's Cox Pavillion (2003) and the Exhibition Center at Alliant Energy Center in Madison, WI (2004).

Since the band members are off doing solo projects this year, there won't be an SCI 2009 Halloween Incident :( I've seen them twice at Red Rocks, once with Taj Mahal and Bob Weir & Rat Dog. Each concert lasted between 4 and 5 hours :thumb: Great jamin

Happy Halloween everone.

Laura

Wayner

« Reply #65 on: 30 Oct 2009, 08:21 pm »
I find the whole thing of pressings and mixes much of a bother for me . If there's a better sounding copy i'm inteersted but i don't care if its new 180 gr vinyl,  reissue or the original that's the only thing i'm into. what label when it was made has nothing to do with if i am going to pick it up.  If its clean and looks good that's it no multible copys for me the best sounding one stays and the other one goes. I just don't get why people have 8 copys of the same lp  :scratch:

Ed,

I've been guilty of that in the past, but I've turned over a new leaf and am right on your page. Give me the best copy and that's good enough. Even if it's not the best copy, that's good enough. I just need to budget better and wait for the right one to come along. It's tough to do tho.

W :lol:

orthobiz

« Reply #66 on: 30 Oct 2009, 09:55 pm »
I find the whole thing of pressings and mixes much of a bother for me .
Ed,
I've been guilty of that in the past, but I've turned over a new leaf and am right on your page.

Guess I haven't moved on yet. I find the which pressing/which copy really interesting. To each his own.

Paul

jsaliga

• Restricted
  • Vinyl Provocateur
    • The Spinning Record
« Reply #67 on: 1 Nov 2009, 01:38 pm »
A couple of new arrivals...

--Jerome

orthobiz

« Reply #68 on: 1 Nov 2009, 10:22 pm »
Best T Rex out there
And the beginning to "Stay With Me" rivals the best of the long intro solos, like Rock and Roll Animal's "Sweet Jane"

"but with a face like that you''ve got nothin' to laugh about..."

Paul

jsaliga

• Restricted
  • Vinyl Provocateur
    • The Spinning Record
« Reply #69 on: 2 Nov 2009, 01:25 pm »
I have one more order on the way and I just wanted to thank Berndt for posting about The Smiths albums.  I have them all on CD but decided to order The Queen is Dead on vinyl and if I like what I hear then I'll order the rest of The Smiths catalog.  From what I have read so far the Rhino remasters that were supervised by Johnny Marr have been pretty well received.

--Jerome

vinyl_lady

« Reply #70 on: 2 Nov 2009, 05:05 pm »
I have one more order on the way and I just wanted to thank Berndt for posting about The Smiths albums.  I have them all on CD but decided to order The Queen is Dead on vinyl and if I like what I hear then I'll order the rest of The Smiths catalog.  From what I have read so far the Rhino remasters that were supervised by Johnny Marr have been pretty well received.

--Jerome

Jerome,

I have the Queen is Dead reissue and I like what I hear. My introudction to The Smiths was via their 2 "best of" CDs and this is the first Smiths vinyl I have owned. I like the vinyl enough to order the rest of the collection.

Laura

jsaliga

• Restricted
  • Vinyl Provocateur
    • The Spinning Record
« Reply #71 on: 3 Nov 2009, 12:36 pm »
Thanks Laura.  I'm expecting it in the mail today and am looking forward to giving it a spin.

--Jerome

Miney

• Free your mind... and your ass will follow
« Reply #72 on: 4 Nov 2009, 03:51 am »
After a healthy search, found a Classic 200g reissue...

It beats the beans out of the CD!  Would love to hear both Classic and a minty original in mono.  Anyone compared versions?

kenreau

A couple of new arrivals...

--Jerome

I see more and more of the Rhino 180 gram reissues.  I've read a few good reviews (GD American Beauty).  I've bought their Black Sabbath Paranoid reissue and thought it was great.

Are they universally solid recommendations?  (as opposed to the "Back to Black" drek  :nono:)

Thx
Kenreau

« Last Edit: 4 Nov 2009, 07:03 pm by kenreau »

orthobiz

I see more and more of the Rhino 180 gram reissues.  I've read a few good reviews (GD American Beauty).  I've bought their Black Sabbath Paranoid reissue and thought it was great.

Are they universally solid recommendations?  (as opposed to the "Back to Black" drek  :nono:)

Thx
Kenreau

Not universal by any means. Without trying to sound like a retrogrouch, some releases are better than others. I know that Wayner had good success (I believe) with Yes "Fragile" a few months ago. But the Rhino Yes "The Yes Album" was dead and lifeless. So bad that I took my college Yes copy (the one where the bottom was wearing through on the album cover) back from my daughter and traded the new one! (I know, I'm a dastardly dad!)

I frequently mention Steve Hoffman's website. There are a bunch of people way more grouchy about re-releases than me and you can read about which versions (almost always the imports) and which LP label and deadwax, etc. Others have mentioned on this thread that it's easy to get too caught up in all the various incarnations of an individual record pressing, but for me it's fun to seek out Tea For the Tillerman with LH (Lee Hulko) in the dead wax and earlier "2 eye" Red Label Columbia pressings of a Bob Dylan record, etc.

It's kinda like some early CD releases: did they get the right master tape, does an original even still exist, did they use the right processor digitally to make the CD, did they brickwall the recording, etc. etc. Steve Hoffman did a credible job remastering Moondance on LP and I think they may have actually improved the tinny sounding Big Star records, Zappa's Hot Rats is supposed to be good also.

Bottom line: Remastered does not always mean "better."

If you want to read someone who is way over the deep end, go to dccblowout.com where Tom Port routinely trashes reissues, Mike Fremer and audiophilia.

I'll tell you one universal thing, though: anybody posting in this thread and in the Vinyl Circle is having one hell of a good time!

Paul

Wayner

« Reply #75 on: 4 Nov 2009, 09:40 pm »
The Yes-Fragile is done by Analog Productions, pressed by Rhino. The Yes Album was made by Rhino (and I think cut by them as well). I think the lessen with these two examples is that it depends on who did the remastering job. The Yes Album, is boring and lifeless as Paul says. I have the original release, Atlantic #8283, and that 1971 recording is way, way better.

Now, The Genesis collection, 1970-1975 is done by Rhino and it is fabulous! Much better then any of the original pressings....by a country mile!

So, to Paul's comment again, it's a hit and a miss with Rhino. I have something else that was on that label, but can't recall what is was right now that wasn't good either.

That's why I like to give a little technical review on the records I buy so others can get a little heads up on the recording quality.

I have heard some real bad shit on Capital re-issues, but I only have one (and I can't remember which one that is either that didn't live up to my hopes.

Hollywood records has done a great job remastering, but has QC problems with handling and pressing, stupid stuff like scratches and un-concentric LP pressings, stuff that plagued the '70s is back now.

Wayner  :?

twitch54

« Reply #76 on: 4 Nov 2009, 10:27 pm »
Now, The Genesis collection, 1970-1975 is done by Rhino and it is fabulous! Much better then any of the original pressings....by a country mile!

I couldn't agree more Wayner, based on your recent review and the fact that I only a couple of the originals I made the plunge / purchase.......thanks for helping me spend my money ! ... :o

Wayner

« Reply #77 on: 4 Nov 2009, 11:21 pm »
Thanks Dave!

I wish I cold have spent more time with you at RMAF. By the way, 1 of my uncles was a station masters for the Great Northern Railway in Willmar (MN) and the other was head of security at the St. Paul depot for many, many years (also X high-way patrolman).

Wayner  :D

orthobiz

« Reply #78 on: 4 Nov 2009, 11:25 pm »
Capitol reissue: I listened to Radiohead OK Computer and it was OK (haha). I'm not sure what to make of a digitally recorded album re-released on vinyl. Quality was decent and record was highly listenable.

My most recent acquisition is (are?) The Sights. It's a Detroit group, I bought sound-unheard off the Fall of Rome website. Everything you see for 20 bucks shipped...how can you go wrong? Two LP's (one is green, half translucent and half clear) with a double single. The vinyl is a bit noisy, but so is the music, so it's OK. allmusic.com lists influences as The Who, The Jam and The Buzzcocks. I definitely hear some Buzzcocks in there. A bit garage grundgy with lots of pop hooks, some burning guitar and some Mellotron!!!

They are in concert and I hope to catch them later in November in Michigan but it's the day before The Pixies in Chicago...hmmmm...

Paul

Wayner

« Reply #79 on: 4 Nov 2009, 11:53 pm »
I also have Radiohead OK computer. It's a good recording. Paul, many LPs since the mid '80s are digitally recorded and put onto LP format. I have no problem with that, nor do I have a problem with CDs. I (and I sure you, too) have good and bad examples of music on both formats. Many folks like the Dire Straights album, Brothers in Arms and it was one of the first DDD recordings available on both CD and LP. I have it also on both formats. The LP kicks some butt!

Wayner  aa