Consolidate to integrated amp for Devore, some HT duty. Ideas?

low.pfile

I am starting to consider some alternatives to my system. Two goals:  The change is an attempt to consolidate boxes/reduce cables. Also, I would like to optimize the fullness of the music - maybe one click on the warm side of neutral. Currently, I am using a RWA 30.2 amp and Modwright SWL 9.0 SE preamp with Eico/Mullard GZ34. DAC is Wavelength Brick. My music preference is fairly varied. Devore Nines speakers. Tubed seems inevitable. Must match or improve upon my current set up.

Another consideration is the requirement for 3 unbalanced inputs: DAC, TT, and  video source (L/R preouts from AVR). The RWA 30.2 integrated only has one and I read can be upgraded to 2 max.  Because it will be part of a 5.1 HT system it needs to be unfinicky, dynamic and have a decent amount of power--the RWA and MW do fine at that. And it's just a couple of BR movies a week, action movies are infrequent, but do happen.

I think I favor closed box integrated amp design but would consider open tubes if the footprint was reasonable (no Manley stingray). I am not very tube savvy, so need to brush up on on my SET vs Push Pull, and tubes types.

I am considering a used Leben CS600 (used), yes, it's likely the most frequently paired integrated with Devore....so, what else should I consider for a max of $4500 (but really want to spend less)?

thanks
ed

Ericus Rex

So the integrated must have a phono section, yes?

The Rogue Tempest would satisfy all your requirements.  It's closed box design, has optional phono section, is remote controlled and much less expensive than Leben!  Sonically Rogue stuff tends toward neutral (within the 'tubey' spectrum, of course) so it could be exactly what you're lookin fer.

If you're looking for LUSH tubey, then there's the Primaluna integrateds.  They offer an optional MM phono stage, have tube cages to tame that 'open' look but aren't remote controlled (unless you opt for the Premium model).

Good luck in your search!

low.pfile

A good question ER, I wasn't making a phono section a requirement-that would be even more consolidation. Though I would consider an integrated with one if was great. Currently, I am using a Heed Quasar with a MM cartridge. Thanks on the suggestions, I will look into both of them.
Cheers, ed

boead

Check out Rouge Audio.
http://www.rogueaudio.com/Products_Tempest.htm

Ive heard some of thier amps and they are real nice.

ajzepp

You should give John DeVore a call and get his input, too. He's one of the coolest guys in the business and he's very accessible. I had Super 8s for nearly three years and I'm a huge fan of his. I really want to have a second system one day and get some monkeys back in here....if not for the fact that I'm in love with Maggie Magic, I'd still have my DeVores....they are amazing speakers!

low.pfile

Hey AJZepp. Yeah, I've exchanged mail with John on other things. Based on the shows Devores are usually paired with Shindo or Leben, so likely that would be his recommendation. I recall reading somewhere that he personally uses/used an Audio Note with the Super 8s.

Yep, I just upgraded from my super8s to the nines, so no big hurry--getting used to this change first. Sounds great. I am simply getting an idea of what to keep my eye on in the used market.

I remember your super dark Super8s. they were cool.