Life expectancy of CD changer.

SET Man

Life expectancy of CD changer.
« on: 7 May 2010, 12:15 am »
Hey!

Dang it! Look like my CD changer is starting to bite the dust.  :?

Lately my 5 years old Sony SCD-C2000ES changer using as transport  is acting strange, taking too long to read, freeze up while playing, can't read the TOC on some discs.

I did modified with new connectors but I was very careful doing it. I don't know why. I might open it up and see if there is any dust on the lens or somthing.

Anyway, from what I've heard. CD changer don't last very long compared to the single disc machine. Is this true? Anyone one else have experience with single CDP vs CD changer?

Well, maybe I will need to get a new one soon. I have to admit that I'm now addicted to having CD changer where I could just load up the CDs and let it run. Surprisingly I have no problem getting up to change, flip and cue vinyl LPs :lol:

Any good reliable changer out there? But maybe I look for a single disc machine?

BTW... it seems to work fine right now.  :scratch:

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:

Stu Pitt

Re: Life expectancy of CD changer.
« Reply #1 on: 7 May 2010, 02:32 am »
I suffer from the same affliction - too ADDish for a single CD deck, yet have no problem with vinyl.  Weird, huh?

I can't answer if/why changers' transports are less reliable.  I think the lack of relability are the parts that change the discs, and not the lens itself. 

It sounds like you're a candidate for a music server.  I bought an Apple TV about a year ago and haven't looked back.  It makes things very easy.  Just rip everything as Apple Lossless to iTunes, sync to your Apple TV, and connect to your DAC via optical.   You can control it either through your TV or by using an iPod Touch or iPhone.  Ripping everything gets a bit tedious, but it's more than worth it IMO.   

My Rega Apollo collects a good bit of dust. 

Stu Pitt

« Reply #2 on: 7 May 2010, 02:37 am »
You can get an Apple TV and iPod Toch refurbished from the Apple Store website for pretty cheap.  I like them better than the Squeezeboxes because it's an autonomous system - the computer doesn't need to be on.  Streaming gives you infinitely more storage space, but the computer needs to be on, and you can get drop outs and lag.

The Apple Tv will also do Internet radio and YouTube.  YouTube has me watch and listening to far more music than I have in the past.  Where else can you find pearl Jam playing an acoustic set at Tower Records in Yonkers before they exploded onto the scene?   

Just a few thoughts. 

Bemopti123

« Reply #3 on: 7 May 2010, 02:52 am »
My Yamaha charger lasted from 1993-2005.  Then, it began to not read things etc...  I dumped it, it was a reliable deck and yet, it was not sonically remarkable. 

I still have an old 1994 single deck Sony CDP.  It has begun to give problems with reading, expelling the disc. 

A physical medium CDP, at this point, unless it is in the single hundreds of $ range, is not worth it.  The time of the virtual music formats have arrived.  Nevertheless, unlike what many, many people are commenting about the sonic "virtues" of a computer server set up, it is no panacea. 

From some of the set ups I have tried, sometimes, the sonic results can be either similar to a CDP/transport combo, thus, once again, sonically unremarkable.

The great thing about a computer based set up is the incredible experience of piling, compiling and manipulating ridiculous amounts of music at one's command.

A really excellent computer based music system that is sonically superb does not come cheap and that is the truth. 

Phil A

« Reply #4 on: 7 May 2010, 02:57 am »
I have a Sony SCD-C2000ES as well.  I've had not issues but it also probably sees fairly light use.  It was in the secondary bedroom and basement systems and now I have it sitting in the main system as a back-up (to a Modwright Oppo BDP-83) for SACD and as a CD transport.  When I moved it to the basement system from the bedroom, I believe I gave away an old Onkyo 6 disc changer that might have been 15 years old and was used in both the secondary bedroom and basement systems and other systems before that.  No issues at all and the Onkyo was probably powered on most of the time I had it without any issues even with the display.  With what is available today, a changer is probably not as desirable as it once was.  My Oppo BDP-83 and the Oppo 980 I have in the bedroom both have USB inputs that can take USB thumb or hard drives.  The Squeezebox Touch also has a USB input (and hooks to a home network and can do internet radio without a computer on).  Western Digital and other cos. also make media players.  I might eventually get a Squeezebox Touch.  The transport mechanism in anything like that has parts that can wear out over time.  I also have a Zune player for the car and you can use something like that (i.e. iPod) with certain receivers that have inputs or you can get a minijack to stereo RCA cable and hook it up the same way you do a changer.

Stu Pitt

« Reply #5 on: 7 May 2010, 03:04 am »
Another option is the Wadia iTransport.  More expensive and less functional than an Apple TV, but it's pretty simple and can sound pretty good with the right DAC. 

A refurbished Apple TV and iPod Touch are cheaper combined though.  Sorry if I sound like I'm pushing them on you.  Just trying to let you know why I went with them.  Actually, I use my iPhone, not an iPod Touch.   

Stu Pitt

« Reply #6 on: 7 May 2010, 03:06 am »
I've had an NAD 523 changer for about 15 years now.  Oy problem is the drawer sticks occasionally when closing and needs a nudge.  Sounds pretty good for it's age, but it's no Apollo or music server.

mjosef

« Reply #7 on: 7 May 2010, 04:05 am »
Might just need some loving care Buddy...open her up, clean and apply tiny amount of lubing agent to the moving parts of the drawer. And if there are detachable connections inside, unplug and replug them to make cleaner contact. And clean the laser lens if its assessable.
Did that to my 4yr old HK when it started acting up, and it seemed to do the trick, plays fine now.

2gumby2

« Reply #8 on: 7 May 2010, 11:57 am »
My Denon DCM-380 5-disc changer has been going strong since I bought it in 2003. It's been completely reliable. If this one ever dies, I expect to get whatever Denon changer is available at the time as I have been very satisfied with this one.

Levi

« Reply #9 on: 7 May 2010, 12:34 pm »
Hey!

Dang it! Look like my CD changer is starting to bite the dust.  :?

Lately my 5 years old Sony SCD-C2000ES changer using as transport  is acting strange, taking too long to read, freeze up while playing, can't read the TOC on some discs.

I did modified with new connectors but I was very careful doing it. I don't know why. I might open it up and see if there is any dust on the lens or somthing.

Anyway, from what I've heard. CD changer don't last very long compared to the single disc machine. Is this true? Anyone one else have experience with single CDP vs CD changer?

Well, maybe I will need to get a new one soon. I have to admit that I'm now addicted to having CD changer where I could just load up the CDs and let it run. Surprisingly I have no problem getting up to change, flip and cue vinyl LPs :lol:

Any good reliable changer out there? But maybe I look for a single disc machine?

BTW... it seems to work fine right now.  :scratch:

Take care,

Hey Buddy,

If you spin vinyl from here on, your CD Changer will last eternal.   :green: :green: :wink:

On a more serious note, you can source for a replacement laser when it gets unbearable.  Sometimes, for what its' worth it is a great idea to get a different unit.

SET Man

« Reply #10 on: 10 May 2010, 02:25 am »
My Yamaha charger lasted from 1993-2005.  Then, it began to not read things etc...  I dumped it, it was a reliable deck and yet, it was not sonically remarkable. 

I still have an old 1994 single deck Sony CDP.  It has begun to give problems with reading, expelling the disc. 

Hey!

Paul, I also have a Rotel single disc player from around 1994. It starting to act strange about 3-4 years ago. But it still work most of the time. Man! That changer lasted 12 years? Lucky you.

You can get an Apple TV and iPod Toch refurbished from the Apple Store website for pretty cheap.  I like them better than the Squeezeboxes because it's an autonomous system - the computer doesn't need to be on.  Streaming gives you infinitely more storage space, but the computer needs to be on, and you can get drop outs and lag.

The Apple Tv will also do Internet radio and YouTube.  YouTube has me watch and listening to far more music than I have in the past.  Where else can you find pearl Jam playing an acoustic set at Tower Records in Yonkers before they exploded onto the scene?   

Just a few thoughts. 

Stu, I'm not really into computer based player. You know I don't even have or ever have an iPod yet  :icon_lol: I still like to play my CD the old fashion way.... and even older fashion way when I play my LPs  :lol:

Might just need some loving care Buddy...open her up, clean and apply tiny amount of lubing agent to the moving parts of the drawer. And if there are detachable connections inside, unplug and replug them to make cleaner contact. And clean the laser lens if its assessable.
Did that to my 4yr old HK when it started acting up, and it seemed to do the trick, plays fine now.

Actually it did works fine the last time I used it last week. So, maybe it can be just dust on lens. Thanks for the tips I will open it up and see.

My Denon DCM-380 5-disc changer has been going strong since I bought it in 2003. It's been completely reliable. If this one ever dies, I expect to get whatever Denon changer is available at the time as I have been very satisfied with this one.

I was looking at Denon and Onkyo changers just in case if I'm going to get another changer. :D

Hey Buddy,

If you spin vinyl from here on, your CD Changer will last eternal.   :green: :green: :wink:

On a more serious note, you can source for a replacement laser when it gets unbearable.  Sometimes, for what its' worth it is a great idea to get a different unit.

Levi, finding laser assembly for the changer is near impossible and if you could find one. I don't think it will be worth to go all the trouble doing that since after all it is a $300 changer.  :icon_lol:

Anyway, guys... I might considering get a transport or at least a decent single disc player would make a good transport if it comes to that. :D

Take care,