Any high-powered amps that perform well above their price?

8thnerve

Does anyone know of any high-powered (300+Wpc@4ohms) amps at the $1000 price point that just perform well beyond that price category?

JoshK

« Reply #1 on: 12 Sep 2003, 03:11 pm »
to be honest, I can't think of any hi-fi (excluding pro audio) amp that has this sort of power rating at that price point.

vpolineni

« Reply #2 on: 12 Sep 2003, 03:16 pm »
new or used?

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #3 on: 12 Sep 2003, 03:27 pm »
AVA 550ex will put out 500 watts at 4ohms and it performs well beyond it's $2k price point.

Edit - Nevermind, I missed the $1k price limit, sorry.

I'm w/Josh, not much at $1k that is any good w/that power, unless you get a killer deal on something used.

Carlman

1 criteria amp choice
« Reply #4 on: 12 Sep 2003, 03:35 pm »
I don't know if this performs 'above' its price but, maybe performs well for its price....
This 400 Watt amp!

Is there a reason this amp must be 300 watts?  Are there any other criteria necessary to pick the amp you are seeking?  Does it matter how the 300+ watts were measured? etc...

8thnerve

Re: 1 criteria amp choice
« Reply #5 on: 12 Sep 2003, 03:52 pm »
Quote from: Carlman

Is there a reason this amp must be 300 watts?  Are there any other criteria necessary to pick the amp you are seeking?  Does it matter how the 300+ watts were measured? etc...

Maggies like lots o' power.  Just trying to see if there is anything out there at this price.  The Parasound HCA-1500A will 305Wpc @ 4 Ohms and it is $999.  And like others said, there are lots of Pro amps out there like Crown, QSC, and Carver that will do it.  Just wondering if anyone knows of any "giant-killers" so to speak.  Even if something came in at around $1500 it would be close.  Unfortunately as far as I know AVA is only factory direct.  I am looking for something that could be sold retail as well.  Unless Frank is interested in some special-case dealers????.....Frank?

KevinW

« Reply #6 on: 12 Sep 2003, 04:16 pm »
The introductory price of my new class D amp will be about $1299.  It will put out 500 W into 4 ohms, and always be cool to the touch.  As to performance... well I think it's aces.  It will debut at VSAC in tubed hybrid form.

Raj

checkout mos 250
« Reply #7 on: 12 Sep 2003, 04:21 pm »
Hi,

Why don't you check out the mos 250, get one built for you by David White, try the audiophile kit and also use the active psu's  (1 per channel), it should blast away all opposition at this range and also far beyond......

Thanks
Raja

neilr11

« Reply #8 on: 12 Sep 2003, 04:34 pm »
They don't come on the used market to often, but you could find a used Coda-Continuum Stage amp for under $1K easy. 400 watts into 4ohms, 1400va transformer, stable to a fraction of an ohm, 100KuF of caps, first 10 watts class A, built like a tank. Sounds great.

I have the Stage + which is similar (200 watts into 4 ohms, but 35W of class A!!)  to the stage driving my Maggies.

drphoto

« Reply #9 on: 12 Sep 2003, 06:40 pm »
How about Adcom GFA555? Maybe not 'audiophile' quality, but they don't suck. I hooked one of my old ones up the other night, and it wasn't too shabby. Yes, they can be bright and edgy with the wrong associated equipment, particularly some speaker cables.

Rated @ 200 w/ch and can be bridged. Be careful if bridging that your speakers are at least 8 ohm.

They can be found for $300-$400 all the time.

There are at least a couple of companies modding these too. I think Randy has one, maybe he will chime in.

(no, I'm not trying to sell anything...I'm going to use mine for a sub amp)

randytsuch

« Reply #10 on: 12 Sep 2003, 07:11 pm »
Quote from: drphoto
How about Adcom GFA555? Maybe not 'audiophile' quality, but they don't suck. I hooked one of my old ones up the other night, and it wasn't too shabby. Yes, they can be bright and edgy with the wrong associated equipment, particularly some speaker cables.

Rated @ 200 w/ch and can be bridged. Be careful if bridging that your speakers are at least 8 ohm.

They can be found for $300-$400 all the time.

There are at least a couple of companies modding these too. I think Randy has one, maybe he will chime in.

(no, I'm not trying to sell anything...I'm going to use mine for a sub amp)

Hi Doc,
I have an Adcom, but its a newer model, the 5200, which puts out 50 watts.  Stan Warren modded it for me, and it is pretty good for what I paid.  Right now, I am building a gainclone, and will see how it compares.

Randy

Jonathan

There's an interesting discussion over at Audio Asylum...
« Reply #11 on: 12 Sep 2003, 07:44 pm »
How about the Carver ZR Professional Series pro audio amps?

They are rated at 95, 220, and 300 watts per channel into 8 ohms, 150, 350, and 600 into 4 ohms, class D, and are not very expensive. I'm curious about these myself, but there's not a lot of info out there.

Here's a link: http://shop.store.yahoo.com/aicons/carzrpropowa2.html

If anyone knows more about this, feel free to chime in.

Jon

JoshK

« Reply #12 on: 12 Sep 2003, 08:32 pm »
Jon,

That has got to make for a badass sub amp if nothing else!

Jonathan

« Reply #13 on: 12 Sep 2003, 10:34 pm »
Quote from: JoshK
Jon,

That has got to make for a badass sub amp if nothing else!

Indeed!  I'm way curious to try it as a main amp, although because it only has balanced and Neutrik inputs it would require some noodling around with connectors. It would be interesting to use it with a passive preamp like the LT Audio LW-1.

John Casler

Re: Any high-powered amps that perform well above their pric
« Reply #14 on: 13 Sep 2003, 12:35 am »
Quote from: 8thnerve
Does anyone know of any high-powered (300+Wpc@4ohms) amps at the $1000 price point that just perform well beyond that price category?

If you up the ante to $1500+ you can find:

CineNova 300wpc x 3 (don't buy off the internet or no warrantee)
ATI 300wpc x 2 (A proven performer)
Adcom GFA-5802  300wpc x 2 (part of the re-designed line by former Cal Audio boys)

All three pretty good performers (I happen to use the CineNova in my system with good results, and have placed the other two with clients who are very happy with them)

(oops :oops:  it appears I didn't read close enough.  You said 300wpc at "4" ohms.  my suggestions are 500-600wpc at 4 ohms)

Tbadder1

« Reply #15 on: 13 Sep 2003, 12:44 am »
Pick up used one of the John Curl designed Parasound 3500.  Used you could probably get it for 1200 or less.  700 watts per channel @ 4 ohms!  First 30 watts Class A.  Completely dual mono.  It's a beast for the bucks!!!

Peace Love Dope
Dan

Iced Halo

« Reply #16 on: 14 Sep 2003, 02:26 am »
Rotel RB-1080 is meant to be excellent... sells for $999.

Bob A (SD)

Re: 1 criteria amp choice
« Reply #17 on: 14 Sep 2003, 04:06 am »
Maggies like lots o' power.  Just trying to see if there is anything out there at this price.  The Parasound HCA-1500A will 305Wpc @ 4 Ohms and it is $999.  And like others said, there are lots of Pro amps out there like Crown, QSC, and Carver that will do it.  Just wondering if anyone knows of any "giant-killers" so to speak.  Even if something came in at around $1500 it would be close.  Unfortunately as far as I know AVA is only factory direct.  I am looking for something that could be sold retail as well.  Unless Frank is interested in some special-case dealers????.....Frank?

I'm running Magenplanar MG-IIIa's in a biamped configuration using two ss amps that give 300wRMS/ch @ 4 ohms.  Both are vintage although one definately much older than the other:  Parasound HCA-1200 and a modified Dynaco ST-410 that I built way back when.  I've also tossed a custom 18" sub into this mix -:)  Plenty of headroom!

--Bob

Paul L

« Reply #18 on: 14 Sep 2003, 07:27 pm »
I am not sure 200W will be considered as high power or not.  If so, check out the Crimson CS640D monoblock.

F-100

Re: Any high-powered amps that perform well above their pric
« Reply #19 on: 27 Sep 2003, 07:44 am »

I don't know if you have look into this amp yet but this monster delivers 600Wrms into 4Ω?

http://www.perreaux.com/product.php?idp=44

and you can buy it used for $1395 here:
http://cgi.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cl.pl?ampstran&1069816151&2&3&4&