« Reply #20 on: 9 Nov 2006, 03:26 pm »
95bcwh,

Thanks for the link.

Cheers

hometheaterdoc

• Industry Participant
Re: Moscode 401 - MAGIC!!!
« Reply #21 on: 9 Nov 2006, 04:12 pm »
The CCas are very very very very very neutral tubes.  It's a love/hate kind of deal with that tube.  I've not liked them in every situation I've ever tried them.  They were always a little too sterile and clinical sounding to me.  Others fall all over themselves trying to describe how utterly fantastic they are...  They are extremely low noise and very detailed.  I can see why a lot of people like them.

The Mullards (depending on vintage of course) tend to have more warmth.

'Grats on the new amp Barry.  I'm glad you're liking it.

F-100

« Reply #22 on: 9 Nov 2006, 04:28 pm »
Congrats Barry!!  I'm :drool: for this amp too!!

Now, you need to upgrade the room to a better location so you can crank it up!!  :lol:

95bcwh

« Reply #23 on: 9 Nov 2006, 04:39 pm »
The CCas are very very very very very neutral tubes.  It's a love/hate kind of deal with that tube.  I've not liked them in every situation I've ever tried them.  They were always a little too sterile and clinical sounding to me.  Others fall all over themselves trying to describe how utterly fantastic they are...  They are extremely low noise and very detailed.  I can see why a lot of people like them.

The Mullards (depending on vintage of course) tend to have more warmth.

'Grats on the new amp Barry.  I'm glad you're liking it.

Shane, do you have extra pair of CCa's for sale?? aa

Having tried the Mullards, I agree with you, there's more warmth, but in a subtle way, the image become smoother, bigger, but the edge is still very well defined, the mid-range is become more seductive. I'm comparing the Mullards 12AU7 vs the Sovteck tubes supplied by Moscode.

F-100, get your ass over to Texas quick, so we can go out and audition audio gears together... :thumb:

tvad4

« Reply #24 on: 9 Nov 2006, 04:40 pm »
These are excellent photos of genuine Siemens CCa tubes. Notice the grey supports beetween the micas. This is what you want. Some CCa tubes made later in the 1960s have shiny metal mica supports. I have never heard this variety. Some users like these as much as the grey riser version, but these are not as sought after as the grey riser version. I know from experience how the grey riser CCa tubes sound, and therefore I can only recommend that version.

Notice the wide metal getter support. Again, this is what you want, versus later CCa tubes made in the 70s that have a thin wire supporting the o getter.

95bcwh

« Reply #25 on: 9 Nov 2006, 04:46 pm »
:notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

These are excellent photos of genuine Siemens CCa tubes. Notice the grey supports beetween the micas. This is what you want. Some CCa tubes made later in the 1960s have shiny metal mica supports. I have never heard this variety. Some users like these as much as the grey riser version, but these are not as sought after as the grey riser version. I know from experience how the grey riser CCa tubes sound, and therefore I can only recommend that version.

Notice the wide metal getter support. Again, this is what you want, versus later CCa tubes made in the 70s that have a thin wire supporting the o getter.

hometheaterdoc

• Industry Participant
« Reply #26 on: 9 Nov 2006, 04:55 pm »
Shane, do you have extra pair of CCa's for sale??

I'll have to look in the tube pile.  I'm pretty sure I sold the only NOS pair I had left last year because I just didn't like the tube.

tvad4's advice is great.  The early versions are what everyone is after (and rightfully so as they are much better than the later vintages of CCa's, which are still good, but nowhere near the same level as the early vintages).

You are right as well in that the Mullards (especially the early vintages) add warmth, yet don't sacrifice detail or image sharpness/soundstaging.

arthurs

« Reply #27 on: 9 Nov 2006, 05:01 pm »
Barry - you in Texas?  Wherebouts?

95bcwh

« Reply #28 on: 9 Nov 2006, 05:04 pm »
Barry - you in Texas?  Wherebouts?

I'm in Audiophile wasteland - Houston. :peek:

Brad

« Reply #29 on: 9 Nov 2006, 05:16 pm »
Barry,

Don't be callin' Houston no wasteland.
I heeer they gots some of dem BOZE speekers down at t' Bes' Buy now

Audio concepts is the only store here I know of and they have moved on to Home Theater....

tvad4

« Reply #30 on: 9 Nov 2006, 06:24 pm »
For anyone considering purchasing Siemens CCa or Amperex 6922 Pinch Waist tubes, I strongly recommend getting a return policy from the tube dealer/seller. CCa and 6922 Pinch Waist tubes are notorious for having a high percentage of noisy and/or microphonic tubes. A dealer may say the tubes have tested quiet on the measuring equipment, and yet when you plug them into your system, they can still be noisy or microphonic. These tubes are way too expensive to buy without the option of returning them for a credit or a refund if they prove to be unsatisfactory for reasons of noise or microphonics.

95bcwh

« Reply #31 on: 9 Nov 2006, 07:22 pm »
Yes indeed.... Bose is everywhere now..Costco, Sam's club, Target...looks like they're doing a good job in promoting high-end audio in Houston. :lol: :lol:

Barry,

Don't be callin' Houston no wasteland.
I heeer they gots some of dem BOZE speekers down at t' Bes' Buy now

Audio concepts is the only store here I know of and they have moved on to Home Theater....

95bcwh

« Reply #32 on: 9 Nov 2006, 07:33 pm »
I have just done some quick search, indeed not only is the Siemens CCa not cheap, it's difficult to find one too..a lot of E88CC though.

Guess it's best for me to just enjoy the Mullard for the time being. :dunno:

For anyone considering purchasing Siemens CCa or Amperex 6922 Pinch Waist tubes, I strongly recommend getting a return policy from the tube dealer/seller. CCa and 6922 Pinch Waist tubes are notorious for having a high percentage of noisy and/or microphonic tubes. A dealer may say the tubes have tested quiet on the measuring equipment, and yet when you plug them into your system, they can still be noisy or microphonic. These tubes are way too expensive to buy without the option of returning them for a credit or a refund if they prove to be unsatisfactory for reasons of noise or microphonics.

Carlman

« Reply #33 on: 9 Nov 2006, 07:56 pm »
Quote from: 95bcwh
One word - magic! That's it, I'm throwing in the towels, no more upgrading game for me. I'm done, for a long long time!
I have just done some quick search, indeed not only is the Siemens CCa not cheap, it's difficult to find one too..a lot of E88CC though.

So, it's been like a day since you set it up and you're already looking to upgrade/change the very thing that made you throw in the towel!?   :o :lol:  That's hilarious.  The bug is strong with this one. ;)

Glad you decided to stick with what you have for at least a little while before changing it...

-C

tvad4

« Reply #34 on: 9 Nov 2006, 08:06 pm »

So, it's been like a day since you set it up and you're already looking to upgrade/change the very thing that made you throw in the towel!?   :o :lol:  That's hilarious.  The bug is strong with this one. ;)

He is experiencing what many other 401HR owners already know. The amp is killer with stock tubes, but can be kicked up even higher with only one pair of ~$100/pair NOS tubes.

I know you're just breaking his balls, but it's something you need to hear before you start dismissing it to Audiophilia Nervosa.

95bcwh

« Reply #35 on: 9 Nov 2006, 08:07 pm »
Errr...tube should not be considered an "upgrade" right?? I would say it's more about experimenting with different flavour :wink:

Glad you decided to stick with what you have for at least a little while before changing it...

-C

Carlman

« Reply #36 on: 9 Nov 2006, 09:29 pm »
Just messin' with ya.... I do encourage you to just sit back and relax and enjoy the music and not obsess for a while. ;)

-C

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #37 on: 10 Nov 2006, 09:19 pm »

Good advice TVAD. 

Both of my expensive tube purchases have the return option.

I am going to try the CCa's vs. the Mullard 6922's tonight.

George

95bcwh

« Reply #38 on: 10 Nov 2006, 11:12 pm »
George, where did you buy these tubes, especially the CCa.? They're really difficult to find.. :dunno:

Good advice TVAD. 

Both of my expensive tube purchases have the return option.

I am going to try the CCa's vs. the Mullard 6922's tonight.

George

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #39 on: 11 Nov 2006, 12:10 am »
Tubes were purchased off Audiogon from Sam1104.

He is a little pricey, but has an excellent reputation and offers a 7 day return policy on his NOS tubes.

George