A billionaire is shopping for ultra-high-end system!

JoshK

Re: A billionaire is shopping for ultra-high-end system!
« Reply #20 on: 24 Sep 2006, 04:45 pm »
Rockport Hyperion speakers ($90,000/pair)
4 WAVAC SH-833 monoblocks ($700,000/four...use biamped)
WAVAC PR-T1 preamp ($30,000)
Weiss Jason transport ($14,000)
Weiss Medea DAC ($14,000)

Total (without cables, power conditioner and gear rack):  $848,000

Cables should be able to push this over $90,000 easily.

What no vinyl? :nono:

Scott F.

« Reply #21 on: 24 Sep 2006, 04:56 pm »
Based on what I have auditioned so far, the only thing that fit his budget and looks good is the Acapella Spharon

Barry,

I think you are headed down the right path with the Acapella's. I know several people with a lot of money and their outlook on 'things' are far different than ours. We buy gear first because it sounds good and focus less on the coolness factor. When you have that much money, 'things' are about statements of taste. In the case of stereo gear, it must be functional, sound good (if not great) and must make a statement. That statement usually equates to lots of money and often times must hold some sort of artistic value.

The Acapella's fit right in both of those catagories. You might also consider the Avante Guarde horn loaded bass module as part of the speakers. The next step swould be amplification.

That said, I'd send him directly to Josh at Electron Luv (my personal hero)

http://www.electronluv.com/index.html

Josh will hand make him a one of a kind set of amps, preamps plus an active crossover for those super cool horns. Nobody in the world will ever own anything similar to his gear. This will likely weigh in hugely on his choice.

And if he really wants, Josh will even custom fabricate a pair of speakers for him. Again, all of which will be one of a kind and an absolute statement.

There will be a few things that your aquantence will need to take into consideration. If he goes with custom horns, he is going to need to increase the size of his room (in length). The wavefront launched by these bad boys needs some space to completely develop and intergrate. Think about adding another 20 to 30 foot or so. Plus with gear that big, things get cramped really quick. Joshs speakers are the size of a Volkswagon (literally).

Trust me on this one, your friend won't be interested in standard box speakers unless its maybe the Dynaudio Grand Master Reference (which would make a cool 5 channel HT rig for him (they do make the center channel BTW) but these likely won't be enough to impress.

The Legacy Audio Whispers might trip his trigger.

There are some very good choices on that Exotic Audio website. That is a very good starting point.

Again, these guys are usually looking to make a statement when they spend money. What we think is cool doesn't even show up on their radar screens. People with serious coinage wouldn't dream of buying the pieces we salivate over.

...and I apologize to anyone who may be offended by my use of the words 'they' or 'them'. It wasn't meant to stereotype or segregate. I just couldn't figure out a better way of describing an entirely different classification of wealth.

Se7en

« Reply #22 on: 24 Sep 2006, 05:25 pm »
I'd have him look at the Magico Ultimates. Of course, he will still need to invest in the room.

http://www.magico.net/products.html

PhilNYC

« Reply #23 on: 24 Sep 2006, 05:45 pm »
josh...yeah, I was going to include the $120k turntable Rockport is building, but I had no idea off the top of my head as to what the matching phono stage, cartridge, eta. would be.

that said, if I was a billionaire, Rockport will indeed get my money for a pair of speakers...maybe not the Hyperions, but no speaker has ever blown me away like the Rockport Anteres....

95bcwh

« Reply #24 on: 24 Sep 2006, 09:17 pm »
This is a big surprised to me.. forgive my ignorance, from the look of this setup, the cost of amplification is 8 times the cost of the speakers?? :o  Are we being too biased towards one aspect of the system  :wink:

Rockport Hyperion speakers ($90,000/pair)
4 WAVAC SH-833 monoblocks ($700,000/four...use biamped)
WAVAC PR-T1 preamp ($30,000)
Weiss Jason transport ($14,000)
Weiss Medea DAC ($14,000)

Total (without cables, power conditioner and gear rack):  $848,000

Cables should be able to push this over $90,000 easily.

Marbles

« Reply #25 on: 24 Sep 2006, 09:25 pm »
These are self powered speakers, so he would still need a pre-amp and a source.

Se7en

« Reply #26 on: 24 Sep 2006, 09:29 pm »
Marbles,

That's one channel?  :o

Marbles

« Reply #27 on: 24 Sep 2006, 09:31 pm »
Marbles,

I couldn't resize the photo....if you slide the bar to the right, you will see the right speaker as well.

95bcwh

« Reply #28 on: 24 Sep 2006, 11:41 pm »
Marble,
  This one million dollar system sure looks interesting. Do you think, in terms of sound quality, it can beat all other top of the line speakers from brands like, Acapella, Rockport and all other suggestions that have been mentioned on this thread?

Rgds
   barry

Marbles,

I couldn't resize the photo....if you slide the bar to the right, you will see the right speaker as well.

Marbles

« Reply #29 on: 24 Sep 2006, 11:45 pm »
It's just the speakers and amplification.

To get truely great sound, you need to start with a great room, and then assemble a system that is synergistic.

To say "I'm going to buy the best of everything and put it together in a system and it will be the best system in the world" is crazy.  Synergy is the key...tell him to contact Rives Audio, or Dolby Sound Labs to work on the room, then he can start on the components.

nathanm

« Reply #30 on: 25 Sep 2006, 12:04 am »
If he doesn't have time to go shopping how will he have time to sit back and listen to music on crazy expensive speakers? :scratch: 

95bcwh

« Reply #31 on: 25 Sep 2006, 12:10 am »
If he doesn't have time to go shopping how will he have time to sit back and listen to music on crazy expensive speakers? :scratch: 

I think he's just going to use it to make a "statement".. to impress his business partners, these rich people throw plenty of big party at home, hence that will be a good time to show-off something.. :lol:

JoshK

« Reply #32 on: 26 Sep 2006, 03:18 pm »
If I had that kind of money to spend and really wanted to make a statement, I think there is little choice but to call Josh @ Electroluv [see here] and have him design your friend an entire custom made one of a kind statement system.  That would rule. 

example

PhilNYC

« Reply #33 on: 26 Sep 2006, 04:57 pm »
If I was a billionaire, I'd seriously consider this system:

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #34 on: 26 Sep 2006, 05:02 pm »
He is best off hiring a consultant.    Have someone who can come in and design the room along with hook him up with the right equipment.   The consultant will have interior designers and acoustic engineering to handle all his needs.   If he wants the cool looking stuff that will impress his rich buddies it really isn't that difficult just to buy the big name brands.   With that much of a budget anyone with the right background can give him a great sounding system.   

95bcwh

« Reply #35 on: 26 Sep 2006, 05:06 pm »
Thanks guy for all the nice suggestion.. I have asked him about hiring a consultant, he's from Hong Kong, and he told me that he has hired a consultant to build one home theater for him before and he didn't like it. I guess I will need to hook him up with some US consultant then..:))

Papajin

« Reply #36 on: 26 Sep 2006, 05:11 pm »
Out of curiousity, do you frequently hob-nob with billionaires?  :thumb:

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #37 on: 26 Sep 2006, 05:13 pm »
If so.....I'd like to be your friend!  :lol:

Bob

95bcwh

« Reply #38 on: 26 Sep 2006, 05:16 pm »
Out of curiousity, do you frequently hob-nob with billionaires?  :thumb:

haha...no.. not at all..he happened to be my classmate 20 years ago.. his dad wasn't rich at that time.  Now that his family is rich, but he'd never tried to intimidate me with his wealth, we still go and visit local pubs.. drinking cheap beers, sometime he pays, sometimes I pay.. :green:

95bcwh

« Reply #39 on: 26 Sep 2006, 05:17 pm »
If so.....I'd like to be your friend!  :lol:

Bob

but first you need to know me !!  :lol: :lol: :lol: