Had anyone tried Audioquest CV-8 and don't like it?

Se7en

Re: Had anyone tried Audioquest CV-8 and don't like it?
« Reply #20 on: 16 Aug 2006, 06:31 am »
So dollar for dollar, you reckon the extreme cable gives better sound than AQ??? I checked Xtreme website, their cables are pretty expensive, the price for X5 is equivalent to AQ top of the line Earth Feature series..way out of my budget :o

AQ has the so-called "DBS" system, do you know what technology is being used in the xtreme cables to make them sound good??

Damned..I should have just been contented with using zipcord. :scratch:

I don't consider the Xtreme Cable cheap by any stretch, but I do know that he discounts pretty deeply, and that at the end of the day it isn't that much more than the AQ (bi-wired). I could only quantify it as being a different sound. The AQ is smooth/relaxed without losing dynamics. The Xtreme seems breath the music differently (if that make sense), there is an openess, extension and pace with the Xtremes that can become quite addictive, especially when used in conjunction with the Bruce Moores (also hand wired with Xtreme X5  8) ).

By the way, I get a hell of a lot more base extension with the 50w Bruce Moore mono/Xtreme cable combo than I do the Carver ZR 1600 (not talking sheer power obviously). 

They use various materials blends of gold. silver. copper depending on which cable/application, but most notably, they only use Cotton to shield. The sound is very open....

I'd give Extreme a ring and see if you can work something out. I know that they take car of first time buyers, maybe even a trial?

lcrim

« Reply #21 on: 16 Aug 2006, 05:04 pm »
I've posted this before but I use Audioquest CV-4 that I bought raw.  I have had some very pricey NBS speaker cables as well as some cyoed CAT6  as well as a lot of others and keep coming back to the CV-4.  I believe the solid conductors  work better for me than stranded.  The materials and construction of the CV-4 is similar to the CV-8 just less of it.   Its also about half the list price of the CV-8 now and I don't think I paid anywhere near list when I bought it.
As with any cable post, YMMV, IMO, etc.

Antman27

« Reply #22 on: 17 Aug 2006, 01:50 pm »
I am going to give some AQ cable a try any thoughts on running it full range with speakers jumpers VS bi-wire ?
Also any thoughts if the DBS is worth the $$ or get a better cable without DBS like the slate/rockeffella/or gibraltar
« Last Edit: 17 Aug 2006, 02:09 pm by Antman27 »

Se7en

« Reply #23 on: 17 Aug 2006, 02:17 pm »
I am going to give some AQ cable a try any thoughts on running it full range with speakers jumpers VS bi-wire ?
Also any thoughts if the DBS is worth the $$ or get a better cable without DBS like the slate/rockeffella/or gibraltar

I'm using the single run of CV6 with jumpers to my VMPS at this moment. I didn't notice any "cable" difference between that and running two pairs of CV6 in a vertical bi amp to the same speakers. I'm quite happy with them in a single cable/single amp scenario.

As for the DBS/Non DBS I cannot personally tell if it has made any difference ( I could always pull one of the batteries out and get back to you).

I cannot speak to any of the other cables in the AQ line.

95bcwh

« Reply #24 on: 17 Aug 2006, 02:38 pm »

When I tested the AQ cables without DBS (can't recall the name), it sounded noticeably different from those with DBS (CV-8). I think AQ will be nut to make DBS and non-DBS cable sound the same because no one then will pay for DBS

Antman27

« Reply #25 on: 27 Aug 2006, 05:55 pm »
any updates to report ?

John Casler

« Reply #26 on: 27 Aug 2006, 06:18 pm »

I'm using the single run of CV6 with jumpers to my VMPS at this moment. I didn't notice any "cable" difference between that and running two pairs of CV6 in a vertical bi amp to the same speakers. I'm quite happy with them in a single cable/single amp scenario.

As for the DBS/Non DBS I cannot personally tell if it has made any difference ( I could always pull one of the batteries out and get back to you).

I cannot speak to any of the other cables in the AQ line.

The DBS system is based on the theory that a cable will "sound" better if the dielectric is fully charged.

Many believe this "charging" happens slowly over hours of use (cable burn in) and will also slowly "discharge" when a cable is not energized for a period of time.

This makes a "simple" A/B/A/B on the same cable impossible since after the cable dielectric is "charged", be it by battery (DBS) or playing music, it takes some time to "discharge" to allow you to hear the difference.

The DBS claim is that it will sound as good as possible, from the moment you press play.  There is no claim that it will sound better than a fully charged dielectric from continuous use.

Does it work?

I don't know, but I do know that most of my cables are DBS charged, and I am very happy with the result (real or imagined)