How do you keep your cables OFF the ground?

john1970

Cable Isolators!
« Reply #40 on: 8 Apr 2006, 11:00 pm »
IMO this cable isolation appears to be a buch of psuedoscience to say the best.  Has anyone performed double-blind testing at matched output levels to verify the results?  If so, it would be very interesting to see the statistics and the results.

nathanm

« Reply #41 on: 9 Apr 2006, 12:51 am »
I would, but I am too enthralled by watching paint dry.

CornellAlum

« Reply #42 on: 9 Apr 2006, 02:07 am »
Anyone here actually hear of having an open mind?  I haven't tried this, but unless you have, why all the cracks?  I thought ERS paper was BS until I tried it. :!:

2bigears

« Reply #43 on: 9 Apr 2006, 02:45 am »
mine are in the air with the help of a little cable ferry,she's cute too!! call it "a sense of humor" :D  :D  :)  :D  :D  good thread, some funny stuff!!

_scotty_

« Reply #44 on: 9 Apr 2006, 04:07 am »
I have used pieces of petrified wood, jasper and cardboard boxes to good effect.
Scotty.

mcrespo71

« Reply #45 on: 9 Apr 2006, 04:14 am »
Once again, I'll state that nothing can beat telekinesis.

2bigears

« Reply #46 on: 9 Apr 2006, 08:24 am »
huh,tela..what. cable ferry i tell you. Major VOOO DOOO   :o  :lol:  :o

avahifi

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.avahifi.com
« Reply #47 on: 9 Apr 2006, 03:58 pm »
Evidently nobody got my message:

Specification for Damping Factor for all AVA equipment:

Unit should not get wet!

Frank   :D

nathanm

wait a sec...
« Reply #48 on: 9 Apr 2006, 08:25 pm »
Cable ferry?or cable faerie?

2bigears

« Reply #49 on: 9 Apr 2006, 08:39 pm »
now lets think on that a bit,guess it depends how big your cables are, right.back to school for me.question of the day though:do Fairies really wear boots???? :D  :D  :o  :D  :D

djbnh

« Reply #50 on: 10 Apr 2006, 01:09 am »
Quote from: 2bigears
back to school for me.question of the day though:do Fairies really wear boots???? :D  :D  :o  :D  :D
No, but Trolls do.

warnerwh

« Reply #51 on: 10 Apr 2006, 03:49 am »
I live in a house and keep my stereo in the house too.  I also isolate my cables with carpeting so that they can't touch the concrete underneath.  My system sounds wonderful, it made a night and day difference.   The carpeting also helps damp the vibrations in my wire.  If you use cable isolators it actually promotes vibrating cables and will blur your imaging and destroy the natural timbre you would have had otherwise.

On my interconnects I hang 5 pound dumbells to keep them taught so the resonance frequency of my ic's is above the audio band.  These tweaks were only 10k and are a necessity in any truly high end system imo.

95bcwh

« Reply #52 on: 10 Apr 2006, 05:00 am »
Quote from: warnerwh
I live in a house and keep my stereo in the house too.  I also isolate my cables with carpeting so that they can't touch the concrete underneath.  My system sounds wonderful, it made a night and day difference.   The carpeting also helps damp the vibrations in my wire.  If you use cable isolators it actually promotes vibrating cables and will blur your imaging and destroy the natural timbre you would have had otherwise.

On my interconnects I hang 5 pound dumbells to keep them taught so the resonance freq ...

Warner, you tweak doesn't look that expensive to me, why does it cost "10k"? or this "10k" is not referring to money?

warnerwh

« Reply #53 on: 10 Apr 2006, 06:48 am »
My 5 pound dumbells are made of 24 karat gold. They're much more aestetically pleasing.

Digi-G

« Reply #54 on: 10 Apr 2006, 12:26 pm »
I'm surprised no one else has brought this up,,,, but has anyone listened to their system in a zero-gravity environment?  That way not only are the wires floating in space, but all of the components are too.  The only drawback I can think of is that the speaker is turned into a projectile when it gets a good bass whack...   :lol:

Folsom

« Reply #55 on: 10 Apr 2006, 02:52 pm »
How about fishing line from the ceiling!

pacifico

« Reply #56 on: 10 Apr 2006, 03:01 pm »
Current market price is approximately 44K for each dumbell. Replace with gold plated lead!!! Sell them, buy another system and a lexus.  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

mcgsxr

« Reply #57 on: 10 Apr 2006, 04:08 pm »
At present, my speaker cables are routed behind a bookcase, from amp to speaker, so they do not touch the ground at all.

To be honest, I don't notice any improvement etc, but perhaps since they are touching something, it nullifies any advantage of not touching the floor?

Not played around with any cable risers in the past, but I am not knocking the idea either - shoot, I never would have believed the difference that isolating my old DAC made either...

ton1313

« Reply #58 on: 11 Apr 2006, 02:36 pm »
A friend of mine used empty shoe boxes to lift his cables from the ground. He claims that there was a slight increase in clarity, similar to when you try a cheap isolation product under your CDP.

Gordy

« Reply #59 on: 11 Apr 2006, 04:28 pm »
Quote from: ton1313
A friend of mine used empty shoe boxes to lift his cables from the ground. He claims that there was a slight increase in clarity, similar to when you try a cheap isolation product under your CDP.

Chris, are you reading this???  Store your cd's and lift those Reality Cables all at once!  No more need for those greasy chop sticks  :lol:

Seriously though, any non-conductor should be fine... if the theories I've read hold true...