u dsd vs hi-m dac

pjaizz

u dsd vs hi-m dac
« on: 19 Dec 2023, 10:45 pm »
Hey Gang:

I am curious as to which portable DAC is better for interfacing with Qobuz on a PC.  I currently use an Audioquest Black and it can't do 24/192.  I suspect both NuPrime units are fine and up to the task, but just wondered what users of both think.  I won't be using it on my phone, unless my LG V60 craps out, so mostly interested in PC usage (sending to Audioengine 2's).  Mild interest in DSD, but great sounding PCM is most important to me.  Thanks in advance...and happy holidaze all!

rustydoglim

Re: u dsd vs hi-m dac
« Reply #1 on: 20 Dec 2023, 08:10 am »

Westerwälder

« Reply #2 on: 2 Jan 2024, 01:34 pm »
I use the Hi-mDAC on my PC.
In my search for a better Dac, I tested the Dragonfly cobald.
Unfortunately, it produced high-frequency noise in the treble range.
This was not the case with the Dragonfly red.
I was also able to test this one.
The Dragonflys overwhelmed me with their directness and didn't reproduce as much detail.
I prefer the Hi-mDAC from NuPrime.
It plays very musically. Voices come across naturally and the stage is very well spread out in depth. It reproduces more subtleties.
It bothers me a little that the volume is set back to a medium level after switching it on again.
Probably a good safety measure for headphones.
I can live with that.

My question to rustydoglim:
is the uDSD the better choice for PC operation in my case?

Translated with DeepL.com (free version)

rustydoglim

« Reply #3 on: 4 Jan 2024, 06:52 am »
My question to rustydoglim:
is the uDSD the better choice for PC operation in my case?
Translated with DeepL.com (free version)

Yes, uDSD is more neutral and has more details.  There are only a few (3 or 4?) units left at clearance price:
https://b2b.nuprimeaudio.com/product/nuprime-udsd/

Westerwälder

« Reply #4 on: 4 Jan 2024, 12:25 pm »
Yes, uDSD is more neutral and has more details.  There are only a few (3 or 4?) units left at clearance price:
https://b2b.nuprimeaudio.com/product/nuprime-udsd/

Is it possible to take advantage of the offer in Germany?
I would get the uDSD from Audium in Berlin.

rustydoglim

« Reply #5 on: 4 Jan 2024, 02:47 pm »
What are CLEARANCE ITEMS?

A product started its life in the distribution channel in various markets. At some point, sales dropped so much that no distributors bother to order it anymore. Product such as uDSD is a perfectly good product, but due to competition, and Nuprime's sales channels (dealers mostly want to sell high end products, not cheap portable products), so the model gets discontinued. The remaining stocks are put into clearance for direct sales at discounted price.

You can only order clearance items DIRECTLY from the factory.  And it will be shipped by post office EMS mail (typically one week to ship worldwide).

Westerwälder

« Reply #6 on: 5 Jan 2024, 05:23 am »
What are CLEARANCE ITEMS?

A product started its life in the distribution channel in various markets. At some point, sales dropped so much that no distributors bother to order it anymore. Product such as uDSD is a perfectly good product, but due to competition, and Nuprime's sales channels (dealers mostly want to sell high end products, not cheap portable products), so the model gets discontinued. The remaining stocks are put into clearance for direct sales at discounted price.

You can only order clearance items DIRECTLY from the factory.  And it will be shipped by post office EMS mail (typically one week to ship worldwide).

Thanks for the information.