Ground for my AVR - had low frequency buzz…

Theronbo

Ground for my AVR - had low frequency buzz…
« on: 16 Apr 2022, 01:12 am »
 Not sure if this is the right circle… here goes.

Wanted to increase HT from 7 to 11 channels (20x30 room with 11.5’ ceiling).

Wanted to go separates… but pricing … same price for a Denon AVR 6700H as preamp only from other vendors.

Had a Marantz SR5014.

Just a couple weeks b4 I’d acquired an older Krell KVA-2250 (250wpc stereo) amp. Love it.

Upgrade to Denon went remarkably smooth. Except… definite low frequency hum on the front speakers…

1. Unplugged RCA connectors between amp & AVR - buzz gone. Assume it’s from AVR.

2. Plug both into same UPS… no joy. (Read devices like sharing same ground… but AV has no ground on power cord)

3. Use old chassis power cord:
A. Cutoff device connector square bit… strip ground line.
B. Remove both prongs for neutral & hot.
C. Connect ground to ground on Denon chassis (intended for turntable according to manual) & ‘plug’ into same UPS.

Buzz gone!

Any comments? Is this for some reason stupid?

Why doesn’t Denon AVR or the Marantz have ground line on the power cord?

nlitworld

• Strange things are afoot at the Circle K
Re: Ground for my AVR - had low frequency buzz…
« Reply #1 on: 16 Apr 2022, 02:19 am »
Any comments? Is this for some reason stupid?

Why doesn’t Denon AVR or the Marantz have ground line on the power cord?

The best answer I can find is $$$. It's cheap and easy to make something good enough, so if they can save $0.40 per unit, they'll do it. My Pioneer is the same way. Most anything until you get bigger $$ seems to he the trend of no ground plug in the mix.

Theronbo

« Reply #2 on: 16 Apr 2022, 01:13 pm »
The Denon AVR X6700H is a $3k device…

Seems to be no discounting for higher end AVRs (anything with more than 7 channels).

Many brands are building limited models.  My local Magnolia store said the had zero inventory… that of models available… they’re almost building to order.

nlitworld

• Strange things are afoot at the Circle K
« Reply #3 on: 16 Apr 2022, 02:36 pm »
I stand corrected. I thought Anthem used grounded power cables, but it seems even they have opted for not. I know once companies get into more of the separates system of pre/pro & amplifier they tend to favor grounded plugs, but then you're going farther down the rabbit hole. Emotiva can be had for an ok price compared to what you're getting. Still easy to rack up $6k in gear real fast though.