What the Heck do you call these doohickeys?

Ericus Rex

What the Heck do you call these doohickeys?
« on: 10 Jan 2022, 04:06 pm »
Connected between G and K of the phase inverter in my tube amp. Seems to function as a current limiter as they only flash at power on and go dim after a few seconds. But what are they called other than glorified Christmas bulbs?

[/img]

mgalusha

Re: What the Heck do you call these doohickeys?
« Reply #1 on: 10 Jan 2022, 06:52 pm »
They are neon bulbs and are used to limit the grid current until the tube is warmed up. Some designs use diodes for this purpose. I have worked on a few devices that use those, most recently some Quicksilver gear, they were in both the preamp and the power amps.

dwmaggie

• First memory of music was parents Zenith portable.
« Reply #2 on: 10 Jan 2022, 07:10 pm »
Neon bulbs were nicknamed nixies back in the 70's.  They were also used to display numerals in a desktop calculator the size of an IBM Selectronic typewriter.  I have also seen them used in speaker circuits for protection.

Ericus Rex

« Reply #3 on: 11 Jan 2022, 01:35 pm »
Great!  Thank you, guys!  It's a really great idea, but I'm guessing only needed for diode rectification?

mgalusha

« Reply #4 on: 11 Jan 2022, 03:18 pm »
Great!  Thank you, guys!  It's a really great idea, but I'm guessing only needed for diode rectification?

If it has tube rectification and they are not slow warmup, then it's still a good idea. Some rectifier tubes will come up very fast, especially directly heated tubes like a 5Y3-GT.

Ericus Rex

« Reply #5 on: 13 Jan 2022, 01:37 pm »
Thanks, Mike!  Good info there. Do you think these are NE-2? That seems to be the ubiquitous size.

BTW, I still have your old Meadowlarks!