Need tips on how to get the best sound from a Windows 10 PC

Sandbakk

• Dipole is my choice of speaker construction.
Need tips on how to get the best sound from a Windows 10 PC. What do I need to bypass the sound processing in the PC and rather get as lossless sound as possible to a couple of good speakers. The goal is to be able to stream hifi audio from for example Qobuz, or even from Youtube, although the quality there is not so good, while I work on the same computer.

Thanks.  :D

Mag

Re: Need tips on how to get the best sound from a Windows 10 PC
« Reply #1 on: 5 Oct 2021, 12:22 pm »
If using headphones please see my post in the Music Circle A Revelation to Me. With this computer it uses Realtek in headphone mode and defaults to Samsung when I use the TV speakers. Realtek works well with headphones, which I believe you can download if I'm not mistaken.

The other option with my other computer is usb out to outboard dac usb input, works well. Another option which I haven't tried is usb to a mixer with usb input (I'm thinking Yamaha MG-10 mixer, believe newer models have usb input at back, not sure if the one I use has usb, haven't looked) Anyway with usb, you then have to go into your Sound settings and adjust the usb output to dvd quality 48k, may be difficult to find but it is there if you look hard enough.

If you just want to play cd, blueray from a internal drive or usb stick (what I use) I highly recommend Leawo bluray player which you can download, mine is registered but I think it'll work without registering, for free.

Any question let me know and I will try to help. 8)

Sandbakk

« Reply #2 on: 5 Oct 2021, 03:36 pm »
Thanks. But isn't there a lot of built-in processing of the audio signals in Windows before the audio signal arrives at a USB output? Quote from Audirvana's website: "... minimizing processor activity during playback and always following the shortest possible software path to the audio output."

What I am looking for is whether it is necessary to implement some kind of Audirvana solution, without having to use Audirvana?

Or does the digital signal, for example from Qobuz, go straight to USB?  (Sorry for my lack of knowledge about this, this is unknown technology to me.)
« Last Edit: 5 Oct 2021, 04:37 pm by Sandbakk »

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #3 on: 5 Oct 2021, 04:16 pm »
Thanks. But isn't there a lot of built-in processing of the audio signals in Windows before the audio signal arrives at a USB output at all? Quote from Audirvana's website: "... minimizing processor activity during playback and always following the shortest possible software path to the audio output."

What I am looking for is whether it is necessary to implement some kind of Audirvana solution, without having to use Audirvana?

Or does the digital signal, for example from Qobuz, go straight to USB?  (Sorry for my lack of knowledge about this, it is unknown technology to me.)

I am no expert but I believe the signal still needs some sort of music player and a DAC.  Unless you have an old computer, you should still be able to use Audirvana and use your computer.  A good I7 cpu and 16gb ram should work well.  If you have issues, go into task manager and turn off all unnecessary programs and consider turning off your antivirus software temporarily unless you are working online.  Also don't do any upsampling with  Audirvana.

If you are still having an issue, consider using a free music player called Hysolid.  I think it is less cpu intensive and it has great sound quality.  You control it with a cell phone.

https://www.hysolid.com/

Phil A

« Reply #4 on: 5 Oct 2021, 04:20 pm »
I don't use Windows on my main system but there is this site - https://www.fidelizer-audio.com/

Sandbakk

« Reply #5 on: 5 Oct 2021, 04:36 pm »
I don't use Windows on my main system but there is this site - https://www.fidelizer-audio.com/

Thanks, I will definitely try this. This is not for my main setup, this is only for hifi listening in the office.

WGH

« Reply #6 on: 5 Oct 2021, 04:58 pm »
What I am looking for is whether it is necessary to implement some kind of Audirvana solution...

I tried Audirvana, in my setup there was a decrease in quality. The statement "always following the shortest possible software path to the audio output" simply means it bypasses the Windows Kmixer, the Kernel Mode Audio Mixer is part of the default audio playback system. Most if not all music players for the last 10 years have bypassed the Kmixer using ASIO or WASAPI, both of which allows the music players to bypass Windows Audio and gives direct communication to the hardware. At this point it is barely worth mentioning, it's like an ad proudly stating your digital TV uses a digital tuner.

I tried the audio optimizer applications like Fidelizer, etc. and didn't hear a difference. Maybe they once worked a long, long time ago. Fidelizer appeared in January 2015 when most people were still running Windows 7 and it seems users are still susceptible to the placebo effect.

What do you mean when you say PC? Is it a laptop or tower computer. Not much you can do to improve the sound of a laptop. A tower or fanless design like the affordable HAL MS-6 has many options.
https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?board=71

In my Windows 10 build I went a slightly different direction. The DIY music server I used for 10 years used a Intel Atom processor like the HAL and I wanted to try something else.

Building an Affordable High-End Silent Music Server
https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=177495.msg1867916#msg1867916

Sandbakk

« Reply #7 on: 5 Oct 2021, 05:06 pm »
What do you mean when you say PC? Is it a laptop or tower computer.

Sorry I was not clearer, should have given this information: I use a desktop/tower PC, with the ability to insert additional cards, such as additional sound cards or the like.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #8 on: 5 Oct 2021, 05:25 pm »
I also tried Fidelizer and did not notice a difference but that was a few years ago and it was the free version.  I got better results just turning things off running in the background.

What is the specs of your computer?

WGH

« Reply #9 on: 5 Oct 2021, 05:34 pm »
Back when audio optimizer programs first appeared many enthusiasts were repurposing older computers and turning them into music servers. Turning off unneeded processes made sense with these old processors. I was surprised the old Intel Atom D525 ran JRiver without hiccups but it sure was slow.

Now days processors are so fast you could power a penis shaped rocket and still listen to flawless music.

Replacing the tower's exhaust fan with a silent Scythe Kaze Flex 120mm Fan, 300-1200 RPM (as long as the motherboard has a 3-pin fan connection) will do more for listening enjoyment  than any dubious software.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0763TSZ59?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details

Don't forget the Noctua NA-SAV2 Silicone Anti-Vibration Fan Mount Set
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B018T385ME?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details

If the computer has been well used for years and upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10 then a clean install of Windows 10 using the Media Creation Tool will do wonders for speed and reliability.
The process is the same even if you keep the motherboard.
https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=177478.msg1867705#msg1867705

Mag

« Reply #10 on: 5 Oct 2021, 05:48 pm »
Thanks. But isn't there a lot of built-in processing of the audio signals in Windows before the audio signal arrives at a USB output? Quote from Audirvana's website: "... minimizing processor activity during playback and always following the shortest possible software path to the audio output."

Or does the digital signal, for example from Qobuz, go straight to USB?  (Sorry for my lack of knowledge about this, this is unknown technology to me.)

With my main system using using Leawo or Amazon HD the sound quality is top notch. It betters my Yamaha BD-a1060 marginally using the usb stick. And I would say the sound is almost as good as my Bryston BCD-3. But I also upsample the signal multiple times.

With my other computer MSI Trident 3 using headphones I'm hearing details in recordings that I don't hear with my main system.

A computer if you use the internal sound card supposedly adds noise to the signal, but with usb out I definitely don't notice any noise and with the MSI Trident 3 I don't notice it either otherwise I would not hear the level of detail that I'm hearing.

Now with my Sony NS9100ES I can hear the noise when I switch the video processor on/off. So yeah you don't notice noise in a signal until it is not there. All I can say is give it a try Leawo Blu-ray Player is a Free download and so is Voice Meeter mixer I use with the MSI Trident 3. For me having a mixer in the signal chain has elevated the sound quality to a high level and I can customize the setting to suit my loudspeakers or headphones. :smoke:

E-Zee

• Industry Participant
    • Diy speaker resources and crossover assembly services
« Reply #11 on: 5 Oct 2021, 06:44 pm »
It sounds to me, like you are not looking for a dedicated streamer or network player, but just want high quality output, while streaming online content from your desktop PC. 

Not certain if the question is related to grabbing signal from audio-out cable from soundcard vs pulling audio from USB.

I also frequently stream audio while working on my desktop.  I have tried a few different arrangements. I Have used powered stereo speakers first with integrated and then with aftermarket sound card.  Then I switched from powered speakers to passive speakers and used several different desktop mini amplifier setups, with increasingly upgraded passive speakers.  I tried the passive speakers with desktop amplifier, after going first through a DAC.  I dont think the DAC gave much if anything over the aftermarket soundcard.

I think of all the above steps, what improved my enjoyment most was the switch from powered to passive speakers, followed secondly by the addition of an aftermarket dedicated soundcard.

The benefits of powered speakers are simplicity and less clutter.  Power cord to wall, audio cable to desktop, done, but I think the performance per dollar ratio is much higher with passive speakers.

I can't say the sound quality difference from integrated audio to aftermarket upgrade card was huge, but the features and adjustment of the associated software were beneficial and added some enjoyment, and some sound improvement, possibly even justas result of having dedicated filtering in place and removing some electronic noise.

On that note, there are many people that are firm believers that a power filter between wall and computer can make an audible difference.  My computer is connected to a power conditioner but I haven't tested that for any audible changes.

The switch from powered speakers to passive was the largest improvement in sound quality and made repurposing and replacing speakers much easier.
 I can't get in to what type of amp or amp/dac combo because that would derail the whole discussion, but I would say skip anything under about $80, and as you get close to the $150 to $220 range there are lots of great options. Don't even bother to ask which, just find something in that price bracket with strong comparative reviews and you will be happy.

Someone will yell at me for saying this but I have had great results with aftermarket sound card straight to power amplifier, and even using a reasonable quality DAC such as the topping D50s most recently, I can't say that the DAC was as significant of a factor if at all, compared to speaker selection.  Also, raising your speakers even 4 inches off of desktop, even with makeshift stands will increase your Soundstage and they will sound better.

I dont know if any of that helps but those have been my experiences.  Add a sound card, add a desktop amp, get better speakers.

Elon

ezeescrossovers.com