What contributes most to warm-up time?

Early B.

What contributes most to warm-up time?
« on: 4 Jul 2021, 11:48 pm »
I've had system combinations where it took anywhere from 0 - 45 minutes for the system to warm up. The only time I recall when my system didn't need to warm up was when I briefly had Class D amps. Currently, my system warms up after 2 or 3 songs. This means my system sounds "bad" once I turn it on, but after a few minutes, there's a remarkable improvement in sound. At initial turn on, the system is bright and mushy (yep, "mushy" is an audiophile term). Usually, I turn on my system and let it play some music while I go upstairs and wait for it to settle down.

What component contributes most to system warm up? Is it the amp? If so, why?

RDavidson

Re: What contributes most to warm-up time?
« Reply #1 on: 5 Jul 2021, 12:49 am »
In my experience it has always been amps. It has something to do with thermal stabilization. I don't know what parts would need this, but my guess is that it's primarily the output devices. I don't have the knowledge to explain further, but I'm sure others here do. Just sharing my experience.

SET Man

Re: What contributes most to warm-up time?
« Reply #2 on: 5 Jul 2021, 01:10 am »
Hey!

I give my system 30-45mins... 30mins most of the time to warm up after I turned it on before I do any listening.

And to me the component that need the most time is the amp for sure. I use SET amps. Beside letting those tubes come up to temp, all those big caps need to charge up.

Also, if you're spinning vinyls and use MC cart you'll notice (or not but I do) that MC cart sound better after 15-20mins of playing time... about one side of the LP.

Buddy