OMG: Got my first tube amplifier.....

TKonrad.NOLA

OMG: Got my first tube amplifier.....
« on: 4 Apr 2020, 03:14 pm »
After social distancing and home bound in NOLA, for the last few weeks, I got the crazy idea to sell my Yamaha AS2100 and buy my first tube amp.  Cary Audio was having a 40% off sale and I thought, if not now, then when?  I plugged it in yesterday and played it all day and night.  It is easily the best sounding amp I have ever had.  Why didn't I do this years ago? 

JakeJ

Re: OMG: Got my first tube amplifier.....
« Reply #1 on: 4 Apr 2020, 03:27 pm »
Congrats!  And also glad you are enjoying the sound.  Tubes are very rewarding.

Which model?

TKonrad.NOLA

« Reply #2 on: 4 Apr 2020, 03:48 pm »
Congrats!  And also glad you are enjoying the sound.  Tubes are very rewarding.

Which model?

CARY SLI-100. 

Freo-1

« Reply #3 on: 4 Apr 2020, 03:58 pm »
Nice pickup.  Tubes have a special midrange that very few SS can emulate. 

Enjoy the ride. 

meby

« Reply #4 on: 4 Apr 2020, 04:00 pm »
Better late than never. Good choice Cary makes great amps! :thumb:

abd1

• DailyFrenchie
« Reply #5 on: 4 Apr 2020, 04:21 pm »
After social distancing and home bound in NOLA, for the last few weeks, I got the crazy idea to sell my Yamaha AS2100 and buy my first tube amp.  Cary Audio was having a 40% off sale and I thought, if not now, then when?  I plugged it in yesterday and played it all day and night.  It is easily the best sounding amp I have ever had.  Why didn't I do this years ago?

Nice... I had a similar audiophile epiphany when I heard my first good tube setup. Jaw meet floor. Then I went home and put my stuff up for sale and got my first tube amp. Not sure I can own a solid state amp again, but thinking of trying a hypex class d w/ a tube preamp just for s%*ts and giggles.

Before I heard the tubes I never even understood why someone would pay so much for an amp with so little watts, had to "maintained", and could have tubes burn out, and had more distortion -- I was ignorant. Then I heard one and realized watts are probably the most overrated item in all of audio, tube biasing is simple, and tubes tend to not burn out for a long time, and they're fun to try different tubes, and even order harmonic distortion is your friend! Enjoy!

TKonrad.NOLA

« Reply #6 on: 4 Apr 2020, 04:39 pm »
Nice... I had a similar audiophile epiphany when I heard my first good tube setup. Jaw meet floor. Then I went home and put my stuff up for sale and got my first tube amp. Not sure I can own a solid state amp again, but thinking of trying a hypex class d w/ a tube preamp just for s%*ts and giggles.

Before I heard the tubes I never even understood why someone would pay so much for an amp with so little watts, had to "maintained", and could have tubes burn out, and had more distortion -- I was ignorant. Then I heard one and realized watts are probably the most overrated item in all of audio, tube biasing is simple, and tubes tend to not burn out for a long time, and they're fun to try different tubes, and even order harmonic distortion is your friend! Enjoy!

That is what kept me away; low watts and having to bias. Then learning about PCBs vs point-to-point wiring.  It was all so much and I felt it easier to just stick with solid state.  I am pretty sure this will be my last amp, ever.  I love it so much and they say it needs about 100 hours of break in.   I have never really believed in break-in other than speaker drivers with stiff rubber surrounds, but I will see what happens after 100 hours

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #7 on: 4 Apr 2020, 05:39 pm »
I used to be an all SS guy, and for exactly the same reasons as you, TKonrad.  Once I switched to tubes, there was no going back.  At this point I've been a tube-o-phile for a long time. 

Having been in the tube world for a while, I can say with confidence that Cary makes some of the very best tube gear out there - congrats on starting off with the best!

TKonrad.NOLA

« Reply #8 on: 6 Apr 2020, 12:23 am »
This amp has made me fall in love with my speakers all over again.

SET Man

« Reply #9 on: 6 Apr 2020, 01:56 am »
Hey!

Congratulation on your first tube amp! And 40% off Cary Audio amp? Well, that sounds like a very deal!

Enjoy the sound. And it won't be long until you'll be thinking of tube rollin' on that amp Well, don't go crazy with that  :wink:

Take care,
Buddy