Cheap and Cheerful System: suggestions for M3TS or M3TM based system

morganc

This... https://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649522986-hegel-h90-integrated-amplifier/

I think the Hegel H90 would be a winner as well as the Schiit gear!  Thanks for the advice on this front.

charmerci

I think the Hegel H90 would be a winner as well as the Schiit gear!  Thanks for the advice on this front.

It's gone - do you buy it?

glynnw

• I have tin ears.
I started with an M3TS and now have an M3TM and have used a bunch of amps, all of which sounded good, though of course some were better.  Power from 3.5 watts to several hundred - lower power can sound great, but bass needs some horsepower - I use a couple of GR Research servo twin 12" OB subs and they work fantastically with the Spatials.  Currently, for amp I am using a 35 year old CJ MV75a1 and love it - these can be found for abt $700.  Using passive pre - Tortuga -  maybe $500 for used one - the Tortugas sound stunning.  Then find a nice used DAC  for a couple hundred - they all sound very similar to me in this price range.  This combination, even without the subs, can be very pleasing.

paolocaminiti

Did you get the spatials in the end? would be nice to hear a comparison to the gr research?

DarrellC

Using passive pre - Tortuga -  maybe $500 for used one - the Tortugas sound stunning. 

glynn, do you find a passive pre preferable to the active ones you have used?

glynnw

• I have tin ears.
The actives sounded a bit better, but not by a huge margin.  And a little noise in a preamp shows up with some amp/speakers combos.  Currently I am in passive mode because my amps have so much gain they show up any noise in a preamp.

Shakeydeal

glynn, do you find a passive pre preferable to the active ones you have used?

I'm not glynn, but I have a Tortuga and I much prefer it to active preamps I have owned. Most recent include:

CJ LS 17 II
deHavilland Ultraverve
ARC SP9 II (with GNS mods)
Gill Audio Alana
Antique Sound Labs Flora EX
Lamm LL2

If your system is passive friendly, it's hard to beat an LDR based preamp.

Shakey

DarrellC

Thanks guys, I am pretty intrigued by the passive concept, either TVC or ATVC.  I do have a VAC pre, an older Renaissance from the early 2000's, and I am wondering if a passive might be a good alternative.

DarrellC

BTW, my power amp is a BAT and I have a Modwright modded Oppo, so there is still plenty of tube flavoring in my chain.  My Spatial X3's will be here in about 2 weeks.

Shakeydeal

I have had a TVC using S&B transformers (custom made by K&K Audio) and an AVC (Sonic Euphoria) and both are very good. I would still say that an LDR is another step up. And I'm pretty sure a passive is going to be much more transparent than that VAC preamp.

Shakey

aniwolfe

I am using a Goldpoint passive volume attenuator into a LTA ZOTL 40 EL34 Amp. Sounds great! I sold my LTA MZ3...put a nice about of money in pocket.

https://goldpt.com/sa2.html