Anybody own a hot tub?

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
Anybody own a hot tub?
« on: 30 Jul 2012, 12:15 am »
As part of a deck refresh, we are considering a hot tub.  Unlike so many other hobbies and big purchases, the amount of info available is somewhat limited.  You can't easily get pricing and it has been challenging to try and compare feature/functionality across brands.

While I am leveraging various hot tub specific forums, I figured that it couldn't hurt to ask for info here as well.   :D

So, if you have a hot tub, here are a few questions for you:

How big a hot tub did you go for - four, six, or seven plus?

What features/functionality have you really enjoyed and used?

Where did you buy you hot tub from - hot tub/spa store, pool store, Internet, Costco, Home Depot, or other?

How often do you use your hot tub?

Would you buy it again?

Any other advice or info is also greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

George

Phil A

Re: Anybody own a hot tub?
« Reply #1 on: 30 Jul 2012, 01:00 am »
George mine is waiting for repair right now (about 14 years old).  I used it more for the first few years I had it than over the last few.  They call mine a six seater but that's pushing it.  More like 4.  I think it is about 91x91 inches give or take.  I got mine from a store.  The reason I have not used it as much is really time.  I used it when I first got it and when I was retired for almost six years.  Over he last 5, it has not been used as much.  I enjoy just relaxing in it.  Don't need features.  I'd buy one again.  In less than two, I'll have one built into a pool in FL (and will be retired this time for good).

mick wolfe

« Reply #2 on: 30 Jul 2012, 01:33 am »
Bought a five person hot tub years ago at a "spa store". Used it quite often for the first year or two... then the novelty wore off. About that time, maintenance issues started to surface as well. ( leaks, cover needed replaced, etc.) You must remember that lurking under that cover is a warm, humid corrosive environment. The "spa store " had disappeared by then of course. Maybe less than a year or so later, I gave it away.....and it wasn't that easy as it weighed around 1200 lbs. Frankly, if someone hadn't taken it, I had plans to buy a chain saw and get rid of it in pieces. Everybody is different and we all have varied priorities, but I for one, would never own another spa.

David C

• Don't try and lay no boogie woogie on the king
« Reply #3 on: 30 Jul 2012, 03:19 am »
George
I have owned 2 hot tubs/spas. I currently own a 300 gal one that sits on a downstrairs patio. Seats about 6 people. I would not advise anyone to purchase one. I enjoy being in the tub but with temps of 100f+ you only stay in for some 15 min. I see it as a waste of money. Easy to keep up with the chems etc but for the limited amount of time that they are used I would find something else to invest in.

David

Phil A

« Reply #4 on: 30 Jul 2012, 03:26 am »
Maintenance issues certainly do surface.  I've had a bunch.  Seems around the 10 year mark or right before when they started. 

Jon L

« Reply #5 on: 30 Jul 2012, 03:30 am »
I haven't used my hot tub in 2 years.  Perhaps if it was in the sweet spot in the audio room..

ctviggen

« Reply #6 on: 12 Aug 2012, 07:19 pm »
I bought this house with a hot tub, which was outside.  I used it maybe twice.  After the first year, it sprung an internal leak.  The spa manufacturer recommended leaving it on all winter, which I did, but I let the water get too cold and parts froze (hard to keep track of a spa -- I'm too busy).  So, I cut up the spa and got rid of it.  When I cut it up, I realized it was carpenter ant and mouse infested.  (Didn't know carpenter ants would go through solid insulation too.)  I would think -- for a few seconds -- about a spa if it was in a three season room.  Otherwise, they're more work than they're worth.  Just think, we get a foot of snow.  You have to trudge through that and adjust chemicals in the spa and pay for the electricity while it's below freezing outside, and you use the spa once a month.

JoshK

« Reply #7 on: 12 Aug 2012, 08:19 pm »
When I was in college we had one in our apt complex.   I used it often, most often after jogging.   That is when I like to use it most.  Helps relax your muscles.

My dad has one which he uses regularly, and which I use with him we I visit him.  He always uses for 15mins more or less after working out with a glass of wine.   That is how I liked to use it.

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #8 on: 12 Aug 2012, 08:38 pm »
We bought a hot tub today and will have it installed within the next two weeks.

Given the fact that my wife and I exercise or do karate (my wife - not me) pretty much every day, I am confident we will use it very often for the foreseeable future.  Additionally, my boys play sports and I am sure they will enjoy it as well.

We bought a very good brand (Sundance) and from a spa dealer who is local and has been in business for 30+ years.

In terms of location, it will be within 15' of our sliding door that leads out to the deck and patio.  By keeping it close to the house, we hope to use it all year round.

Once it gets installed I'll try and post some pics.

George       

JoshK

« Reply #9 on: 12 Aug 2012, 08:47 pm »
Everytime my family and I went skiing in whistler, we would use the hottub, in the dead of winter.  My dad and I ride his quads on snowmobile trails in deep snow in the winter and then come back and hop in the hottub.

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #10 on: 12 Aug 2012, 10:52 pm »
The wife wants one as part of a deck refresh, and I want no part of it.  To me it's like sitting in a warm bath of human soup, and as owner of two older houses the last damned thing I want is something else to maintain.  Ditto with the RV or camper trailer she wants.    :lol:  For most decks you'd better do a LOT of reinforcing to support that weight.

Anyway, that's the excuse I'm using.   :icon_twisted:

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #11 on: 12 Aug 2012, 10:56 pm »
The wife wants one as part of a deck refresh, and I want no part of it.  To me it's like sitting in a warm bath of human soup, and as owner of two older houses the last damned thing I want is something else to maintain.  Ditto with the RV or camper trailer she wants.    :lol:  For most decks you'd better do a LOT of reinforcing to support that weight.

Anyway, that's the excuse I'm using.   :icon_twisted:

You are correct on the major reinforcing...water is heavy!!

We decided to put the hot tub on our patio and not on the soon to be built, new deck.

While I agree it is like sitting in soup, it does feel really good after a long and hard workout.

George

JoshK

« Reply #12 on: 12 Aug 2012, 11:11 pm »
the heat and the chlorine should kill just about everything

I'll warn you against attempting sex in the hot-tub...been there done that.... don't every want to try again!

soundbitten1

« Reply #13 on: 12 Aug 2012, 11:23 pm »
We rented a camp in the Adirondacks with a hot tub a few weeks ago. Had to keep the temp at 104 which meant not staying in too long, also had to shower before getting in and after getting out (chlorine). Used it 3 times in a week. It was nice but it didn't want me to go out and buy one. After the newness wore off I don't think I'd use it much and like others have said it would be just another thing to maintain.

SoCalWJS

« Reply #14 on: 13 Aug 2012, 12:13 am »
 - missed this thread somehow..........

We've had our current spa for 10+ years and LOVE it - can't do w/o at this point. It's our second Hot Springs and can't recommend them highly enough. It has the continous circulation pump that takes the water past a UV sterilzer and through an ion cartridge - water is just about as clear as it can get with minimum chemicals - just clean the filters regularly (which isn't that often for us).
It's primarily just for the two of us, but when family shows up it seats 5-6. If it's not boiling hot outside, we use it 4-5 times a week minimum, and sometimes at least once a day. I've had a bad back since my early 20's and it is part of my regimen along with moderate exercise and a massage chair. I can now play golf fairly regularly whereas before the spa, there was no way I could play on consecutive days.
It is absolutely fantastic in the winter - you get warm to the bone before turning in. :thumb:

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #15 on: 13 Aug 2012, 12:51 am »
Mine hasn't worked in 7-8 years.  It has boxes of inductors and caps stored on top of it now, along with other misc. junk.  I think we are going to cut it up and remove it.