NBA season suspended

rodge827

Re: NBA season suspended
« Reply #140 on: 25 Mar 2020, 02:35 pm »
I’m sure the Easter reopening is a target date and not set in stone. The actual condition of this pandemic will determine public policy moving forward. As we all know predictions are an educated guess at best...daily statistics will determine the path.

Stay safe my friends!

stlrman

« Reply #141 on: 25 Mar 2020, 02:40 pm »
I believe I am correct in saying that State mandates would Trump , or take precedence over any national directives.
Now will many governors and mayors be swayed to change their policies? I hope not !!

mcgsxr

« Reply #142 on: 25 Mar 2020, 03:36 pm »
It’s a tough spot for any and all leaders.

I just hope all the front line healthcare workers get what they need during this. 

Be well my friends. 
« Last Edit: 26 Mar 2020, 12:12 am by mcgsxr »

charmerci

« Reply #143 on: 25 Mar 2020, 04:26 pm »
I’m sure the Easter reopening is a target date and not set in stone. The actual condition of this pandemic will determine public policy moving forward. As we all know predictions are an educated guess at best...daily statistics will determine the path.

A 5 second glance at the chart will show that an Easter target date is not set in stone - it's set in FOO-FOO DUST!!! Just one listen to a hospital worker interview in a big city shows it's not going to get better in 2 weeks.

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #144 on: 25 Mar 2020, 08:32 pm »
Pittsburgh sanitation workers have refused to pick up trash without PPE and hazard pay.  They're attitude was expressed in an article as what, you gonna take the trash to the landfill yourself?  So everyone is unsure if it's a reasonable request for protection, or a cash grab when they have everyone over a barrel.  I haven't formed any opinion either way until we get more info.

Photon46

« Reply #145 on: 25 Mar 2020, 10:25 pm »
I say the following with tongue only slightly in cheek. If our government is considering co-opting the forces of private industry to direct manufacturing capabilities towards the immediate needs of the medical community's shortage of PPE, ventilators, etc., we should also marshal the forces of tailors and seamstresses to immediately engage in the manufacture of this resourceful Taiwanese doctor's DIY multi-layer cloth face mask:

https://mustsharenews.com/cloth-face-mask/

Well, I posted this a few days. Now, it's become a reality ( I'm proud to read of the civic minded folks who are pitching in on this effort.)

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/25/business/coronavirus-masks-sewers.html?action=click&module=Top%20Stories&pgtype=Homepage

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #146 on: 26 Mar 2020, 12:25 am »
I’m proud to say my Taiwanese wife (US citizen) began producing cloth face mask covers two days ago. She will donate them to a hospital once a few more masks are ready.

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #147 on: 26 Mar 2020, 01:07 am »
4/12/2020 is coming up pretty quick. 
I'll still be working from home and washing my hands like I'm Howard Hughes.
I'm real curious to see if it comes roaring back in countries that were serious about the quarantine or does it lie dormant until next Winter?

Here in Pennsyltucky the number of cases is shooting way up as more people are getting tested.
My neck of the woods is pretty darned quiet with everyone staying in as much as possible.

stlrman

« Reply #148 on: 26 Mar 2020, 01:52 am »
Real quiet in the Burgh !!

stlrman

« Reply #150 on: 26 Mar 2020, 11:13 am »
This is a very interesting article !! The  graphs can be adjusted by the reader to show different possible Outcomes—
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/03/25/opinion/coronavirus-trump-reopen-america.html?action=click&module=Opinion&pgtype=Homepage

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #151 on: 26 Mar 2020, 12:47 pm »
Wow, that graph is incredibly illustrative.  I played with the settings to see what would happen.  A massive difference of when and how high the peak will be with the length of time for mitigation efforts.  15 days is a disaster, 60 days works pretty well, but moved the peak to June 27.  And RO was dramatic, in other words how many people will an infected person transmit the virus to.  When I make a guess at where we are now with the other parameters including 60 days of mitigation efforts and the RO is 2 we have 2,800 deaths.  When the RO is moved to 3 there are nearly a million deaths.  The real world estimates are between 2 and 5, because we don't have enough testing to know what that number is.

charmerci

« Reply #153 on: 26 Mar 2020, 05:42 pm »
Half a million/ 500K recorded worldwide cases!
I thought the US would be the worldwide leader late next week. Looks like it will happen in the next few days!

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #154 on: 26 Mar 2020, 08:12 pm »

kmmd

« Reply #155 on: 26 Mar 2020, 08:54 pm »
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

The US is now #1 in total cases and still climbing.  Test and you will find.

Easter may not be so “beautiful,” but at least we will ease off in social distancing.  :duh:

kmmd

« Reply #156 on: 26 Mar 2020, 09:15 pm »
All of this should’ve been done months ago.  When the entire US has only tested 5k people AS OTHERS TEST 5-10K PER DAY, well you don’t find what you don’t look for.  Get ready for the real numbers.  Stay safe all.

My first post exactly two weeks ago.

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #157 on: 26 Mar 2020, 09:49 pm »
I just wrote what I thought worth sharing here...
EVERYONE is going to (eventually) GET THIS DISEASE. The whole point of all this fruhaha is so we ALL DO NOT GET IT AT THE SAME TIME.
If you think the quarantine is magically going to STOP THE VIRUS you are really delusional. All it can do (and is designed to do) is slow down the rate of infection. Corona is here to stay FOREVER. So you might not get it today, nor next week maybe even not next month. But eventually we ALL are goona' have it. Some not bad. some bad. some dead. There IS not stopping it.
Now maybe they will create a vaccine What that means is you will get it, but your body will be better able to fight it off, due to antibodies your body made due to the vaccine.
But you WILL still be infected.
So enjoy...

Stu Pitt

« Reply #158 on: 26 Mar 2020, 10:59 pm »
I just wrote what I thought worth sharing here...
EVERYONE is going to (eventually) GET THIS DISEASE. The whole point of all this fruhaha is so we ALL DO NOT GET IT AT THE SAME TIME.
If you think the quarantine is magically going to STOP THE VIRUS you are really delusional. All it can do (and is designed to do) is slow down the rate of infection. Corona is here to stay FOREVER. So you might not get it today, nor next week maybe even not next month. But eventually we ALL are goona' have it. Some not bad. some bad. some dead. There IS not stopping it.
Now maybe they will create a vaccine What that means is you will get it, but your body will be better able to fight it off, due to antibodies your body made due to the vaccine.
But you WILL still be infected.
So enjoy...
And it’ll change and get a new name. Remember SARS? Coronavirus.

Pretty sure Bubonic Plague is actually still around too. I think there’s a handful of cases and deaths from it every year worldwide.

Edit: Yup. Still around...
https://www.google.com/amp/s/abcnews.go.com/amp/Health/plague-exists-now-us/story%3fid=55860883

kmmd

« Reply #159 on: 26 Mar 2020, 11:18 pm »
Hmmm.  It is interesting if people think that this will magically disappear by social distancing or stay at home.  Yes it is to help to slow the spread and prevent those who do not have it to get it.  The idea is to flatten the curve and spread the timing of those getting sick while decreasing risk to those who are most vulnerable to become severely ill.  If they do become ill, then there is increased time that this happens.  This will allow hospitals the time to acquire appropriate equipment and personnel and not overload them with severely sick people at the same time.   Patient care is significantly compromised, and the mortality rate is unnecessarily increased in overcrowded hospitals and emergency departments.  Overcrowding poses great risk to healthcare workers. 

Relaxing social distancing and stay at home mandates too early will result in exposing those who do not have the disease to the asymptomatic or mildly ill people thus resulting in another peak of the disease. The rate at which this is spreading speaks for itself if it is a good idea in the near future.  We are also very lucky that this has not mutated.

Earlier and widespread testing would have caught this much sooner.   Appropriate action and preparation could have happened.  It is hard to believe that more than half of this country has performed less than 500 tests in the entire state as of today.  How does one know that there aren’t “hotspots” in those states?

Stay well and be  safe.