The X-Statik's up and running again...

Danny Richie

Re: The X-Statik's up and running again...
« Reply #20 on: 5 Oct 2015, 07:24 pm »
Thanks for all of the great answers, Danny.

I am very interested in upgrading that 56uF cap in the midrange. I suppose there would be (or should be) a another small bypass cap in there as well, correct? Also, what would be your take on the sonic improvements on that particular cap upgrade? Just more of the same from the other upgrades already performed?

Thanks again!

There is already a by-pass cap on the 56uF value. It is the small yellow cap. You can also upgrade it to a Sonicap.

Upgrading to the Sonicaps will improve the clarity of the mids. There is no question about it.

Captainhemo

« Reply #21 on: 5 Oct 2015, 08:18 pm »
Chops, 
have you done the tube connectors/no rez upgrades as well ?  If not, for slightly less $ as those 4 27uF sonic caps will  run you, you could get a couple sheets of no rez and a set of tube connectors, I bet you'll be surprised at the diff they make. If you go with the tube connectors at some point, remember to order a couple extra male ends for your speaker cables.
I don't know what AV123 put inside the cabinets (if anything ?), but it may also be worth while  if/when n you line the cabinets with no rez to try adding 1 - 1.5 oz of acousti Stuff behind each  driver  . Fluff it up and  cover the rear wall evenly.  You can get it a PE or Amazon

Just some sugggestions

Chops

« Reply #22 on: 7 Oct 2015, 03:37 pm »
There is already a by-pass cap on the 56uF value. It is the small yellow cap. You can also upgrade it to a Sonicap.

Upgrading to the Sonicaps will improve the clarity of the mids. There is no question about it.

Yeah, if I'm going to upgrade the 56uF cap, I might as well upgrade that bypass cap while I'm at it. No point in cutting corners.  :green:

Chops

« Reply #23 on: 7 Oct 2015, 03:40 pm »
Chops, 
have you done the tube connectors/no rez upgrades as well ?  If not, for slightly less $ as those 4 27uF sonic caps will  run you, you could get a couple sheets of no rez and a set of tube connectors, I bet you'll be surprised at the diff they make. If you go with the tube connectors at some point, remember to order a couple extra male ends for your speaker cables.
I don't know what AV123 put inside the cabinets (if anything ?), but it may also be worth while  if/when n you line the cabinets with no rez to try adding 1 - 1.5 oz of acousti Stuff behind each  driver  . Fluff it up and  cover the rear wall evenly.  You can get it a PE or Amazon

Just some sugggestions

I plan on doing the No-Rez, just have to wait a little bit for funds to roll in.

Speaking of No-Rez, it looks like it eats up a bit of air space, so I was also already thinking about adding some stuffing to help regain that air space. Danny... Your thoughts on this?

Danny Richie

« Reply #24 on: 7 Oct 2015, 03:48 pm »
I plan on doing the No-Rez, just have to wait a little bit for funds to roll in.

Speaking of No-Rez, it looks like it eats up a bit of air space, so I was also already thinking about adding some stuffing to help regain that air space. Danny... Your thoughts on this?

The No Rez is air space neutral. While the damper does take up some air space, the foam slows down air flow in the box and makes it act like it is a larger air space.

Chops

« Reply #25 on: 7 Oct 2015, 05:06 pm »
The No Rez is air space neutral. While the damper does take up some air space, the foam slows down air flow in the box and makes it act like it is a larger air space.

Very good to know. Thanks again Danny!

Chops

« Reply #26 on: 21 Oct 2015, 11:11 pm »
Just ordered the four 27 uF caps, two bypass caps and two sheets of No-Rez. I'm going to be busy next weekend (not this coming weekend)!  :thumb:

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #27 on: 21 Oct 2015, 11:27 pm »
Just ordered the four 27 uF caps, two bypass caps and two sheets of No-Rez. I'm going to be busy next weekend (not this coming weekend)!  :thumb:

Sounds like another convert for upgrading the X-Series crossovers. Have fun, both fixin & listenin  :thumb:

Mike

Chops

« Reply #28 on: 22 Oct 2015, 12:42 am »
Sounds like another convert for upgrading the X-Series crossovers. Have fun, both fixin & listenin  :thumb:

Mike

Yeah, I figure if I've already done the standard crossover mods that Danny offers, I might as well go the rest of the way and replace the last big cap, with two physically bigger caps! LOL  And since I'll have the X-Statik's open again, might as well do the No-Rez while I'm in there.

doug067

« Reply #29 on: 24 Oct 2015, 02:29 am »
Hello fellas, Have had my X-Statics 10yrs or so. Did the no-rez, connectors and had Danny build me some crossovers with all the best couple years back. They have been in the closet ever since as I found some ls-6 cabinets and built those, those too have all the goodies.  After all this talk I dug my X-Statics out of the closet the other day and plugged them in. Just as I remember them and have kept them. Open, spacious beautiful sounding. Got to admit they look cool too! Have fun and enjoy yours.

Chops

« Reply #30 on: 24 Oct 2015, 06:41 pm »
Hello fellas, Have had my X-Statics 10yrs or so. Did the no-rez, connectors and had Danny build me some crossovers with all the best couple years back. They have been in the closet ever since as I found some ls-6 cabinets and built those, those too have all the goodies.  After all this talk I dug my X-Statics out of the closet the other day and plugged them in. Just as I remember them and have kept them. Open, spacious beautiful sounding. Got to admit they look cool too! Have fun and enjoy yours.

10 years? You must have 2 year pre-production models.  :lol: :green: :wink:

I know what you mean though. No matter what speakers I try or buy, I always come back to these in the end.

Chops

« Reply #31 on: 31 Oct 2015, 12:55 am »
I got my box-o-goodies from Danny yesterday, including (4) 27 uF Sonicaps, (2) tiny bypass Sonicaps, and (2) sheets of No-Rez.

I'm still trying to figure out how I'm going to install those two massive caps on the crossovers. They're nearly twice the size of the original 56 uF cap that's on there. I guess it would be alright to rest the top cap over on top of the inductor next to it.

Then there's the chore of having to remove the two bass drivers and all of that glued in felt to install the No-Rez. I have a feeling I'm going to have a very long, busy day tomorrow.

Chops

« Reply #32 on: 31 Oct 2015, 05:27 pm »
I have the speakers pulled all apart at the moment... Well, one of them anyway. Man, that glued in felt is a royal PITA to remove! I'm using a puddy knife to scrape the stuff off, but there's no way all of it is going to get removed. It's impossible. At this rate, it's going to take all day just to do this one speaker. I'm not looking forward to installing the No-Rez either. That'll probably be a pain also.

Well, back to the ole' grind...

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #33 on: 31 Oct 2015, 05:35 pm »
I'm not looking forward to installing the No-Rez either. That'll probably be a pain also.
IF you can get the cabinet sides clean, the No Rez is simply to install since it has a good adhesive.  If not, you might have to use something like Liquid Nails. 

Danny Richie

« Reply #34 on: 31 Oct 2015, 05:43 pm »
I have the speakers pulled all apart at the moment... Well, one of them anyway. Man, that glued in felt is a royal PITA to remove! I'm using a puddy knife to scrape the stuff off, but there's no way all of it is going to get removed. It's impossible. At this rate, it's going to take all day just to do this one speaker. I'm not looking forward to installing the No-Rez either. That'll probably be a pain also.

Well, back to the ole' grind...

Scott is right. Installing the No Rez is real easy once you get all of that glue off the walls.

I've been there too. I know it is a pain to get all that cleaned off, but it is worth it.

Chops

« Reply #35 on: 1 Nov 2015, 04:48 am »
That was a long, annoying 12 hours of work. My finger tips have multiple cuts from that nasty razor sharp glue as well as my knuckles from scraping against it. And at the end, I ran a little short on the No-Rez. The bottom section where the crossover is, I had to peace it together with slightly smaller pieces on the sides and two 2" thin pieces for the front panel.

The crossovers went good though. I used some duct seal under the stack-o-caps  to help stabilize them as well as a couple of zip-ties.

Danny Richie

« Reply #36 on: 1 Nov 2015, 01:51 pm »
Looking good.

Now add in a little loose poly fil or fiberglass insulation to the back half of the box.

Chops

« Reply #37 on: 1 Nov 2015, 02:44 pm »
Looking good.

Now add in a little loose poly fil or fiberglass insulation to the back half of the box.

Earlier you said that extra poly wasn't needed with the open-cell foam of the No-Rez.  :scratch:

Danny Richie

« Reply #38 on: 1 Nov 2015, 03:07 pm »
Earlier you said that extra poly wasn't needed with the open-cell foam of the No-Rez.  :scratch:

I was thinking that there was some in there already that you'd put back. I guess the felt was all there was in that model.

Chops

« Reply #39 on: 1 Nov 2015, 04:03 pm »
So, essentially I have open these things again and put some poly in them?

If so, it's not something I'm going to rush out and do anytime soon.