HotRod DAC

R-A-W

HotRod DAC
« on: 19 Feb 2012, 01:25 pm »
Steve,

What would you recommend.
I have your Offramp I2S with fully modded Benchmark DAC1.
Would you recommend the HotRod or a OR5 in combination with the DAC1.

Roger

audioengr

Re: HotRod DAC
« Reply #1 on: 19 Feb 2012, 08:01 pm »
Steve,

What would you recommend.
I have your Offramp I2S with fully modded Benchmark DAC1.
Would you recommend the HotRod or a OR5 in combination with the DAC1.

Roger

I could sell you an OR5, but the Hot Rod will probably be better than the modded DAC1.

You will have a big wait though.

Steve N.

R-A-W

« Reply #2 on: 21 Feb 2012, 01:37 pm »
For those that don't subscribe to TAS, the review of the Peachtree iDAC in the July/August issue is very interesting.

http://www.avguide.com/review/peachtree-audio-idac-tas-214

Steven Stone concludes that the digital source is actually more important than the DAC itself.  When the iDAC and the W4S DAC's were driven with his Off-Ramp 4, not only did they each sound a lot better, they sounded almost identical.  No surprise to me :thumb:

This is all the more reason to invest in a really good digital source, with the best clock you can get.  Anyone know where to get one of those? :wink:

Steve N.

Steve,

If the source is that important would the turboclock not be an essential upgrade option, to beat the OR5/fully modded DAC1 combo?

I doubt it.  I dont think it will fit anyway...

Steve N.

Is the HotRod enclosure already defined in this stage?

Roger

audioengr

« Reply #3 on: 21 Feb 2012, 06:10 pm »
Steve,

If the source is that important would the turboclock not be an essential upgrade option, to beat the OR5/fully modded DAC1 combo?

I think it will still beat it, based on my results with the Synchro-Mesh.

Is the HotRod enclosure already defined in this stage?

Not yet.  I have new panels in fabrication for the Overdrive and I was thinking that I need something similar for the Hot-Rod.  To get that that low price level, I still need to use an off-the-shelf chassis, but the front and back panels are custom.

Steve N.

adhesiv

« Reply #4 on: 5 Jul 2012, 07:12 am »
How close are we to more info on the Hot Rod DAC? I've been contemplating a pace car for my Transporter>Metrum Octave combo or trying out the Hot Rod DAC to replace the Metrum.

audioengr

« Reply #5 on: 5 Jul 2012, 06:05 pm »
How close are we to more info on the Hot Rod DAC? I've been contemplating a pace car for my Transporter>Metrum Octave combo or trying out the Hot Rod DAC to replace the Metrum.

Not very close I'm afraid.  First I need to get the transformer buffer stage "Final Drive" completed and into production.  Second, there is a growing need for a Linux compatible USB interface, so I may be forced to work on this first.

It is a fall/winter project I think.

In the meantime, you could use a Synchro-Mesh for $599.00.

Steve N.