Is 160 watts Class A power enough?

G E

Is 160 watts Class A power enough?
« on: 26 Sep 2020, 12:41 am »
I have the RM30 series 2

I really like the sound of class A power into them. My amps transition to AB above 50 watts into 8 ohms

Anyone running pure Class A into their RM 30’s?

Is 160 watts a channel enough juice?

My music is all over the map. The Who live at Leeds to Billie Holiday to Ellington big band. Not so much orchestralckassical but Mahlers Second is good for the soul.

Thx for your thoughts

GeorgeAb

Re: Is 160 watts Class A power enough?
« Reply #1 on: 30 Sep 2020, 07:21 pm »
Yes, more than enough. I have driven RM-30 with 125W of class a/b power to glorious results. 

You could also determine if you ever drive them in A/B with your current amplifier.  For example, you could apply a 500Hz test tone and turn volume to say 90 to 95dB (something higher then normal listening levels) and then measure voltage at input terminals.  P=V2/R (the 2 is V squared) to determine how much power you are actually using at fairly high SPL. You may be surprised at how little power you use to get ear splitting sound levels.

G E

« Reply #2 on: 22 Oct 2020, 07:19 pm »
Yes, more than enough. I have driven RM-30 with 125W of class a/b power to glorious results. 

You could also determine if you ever drive them in A/B with your current amplifier.  For example, you could apply a 500Hz test tone and turn volume to say 90 to 95dB (something higher then normal listening levels) and then measure voltage at input terminals.  P=V2/R (the 2 is V squared) to determine how much power you are actually using at fairly high SPL. You may be surprised at how little power you use to get ear splitting sound levels.

Good to know George!

I recently got a Pass Labs xp-22 preamp and it's wonderful!  It drives Bryston 28 Bsst-2 which are 1000 watt each mono blocks.  First 5% is Class A and I hear when it transitions to AB.  The sound "hardens a bit".

Considering a move to Pass Labs amps now.  Their weight concerns me at 150 pounds each, the Brystons are "only" 82 pounds each.  My L4-L5 are messed up and along with "moderate arthris in a hip, I've slowed down the past 18 months.  It caused me to pass on the RM60 that you eventually got.  I've vicariously enjoyed your project and listening stories!

Of course, once placed, there they will sit until the next move.

Heat could be an issue.  My plasma screen is above the amps and it gets warm with the Brystons cooking.  Guess I'll have to turn off the heat register in that room during winter months.

ge

Rocket_Ronny

• Your Room Is Everything - Use It Well.
    • ScriptureSongs.com
« Reply #3 on: 22 Oct 2020, 08:54 pm »
I biamp mine with 50 tube watts on the planers and 40 watts on the woofers and I listen at around 89 dB with peaks around 98 in my chair. No clipping.

Rocket Ronny

G E

« Reply #4 on: 23 Oct 2020, 10:30 pm »
I biamp mine with 50 tube watts on the planers and 40 watts on the woofers and I listen at around 89 dB with peaks around 98 in my chair. No clipping.

Rocket Ronny

What size is your room?

Mine is 13x15x9

But future space will be larger.