VMPS sub issue

Steve Vol

VMPS sub issue
« on: 13 Aug 2020, 03:08 pm »
VMPS VSS Sub w/ 1000 watt amp problem.  Sorry if this is a basic question, my sub has stopped working, how do I determine if it is a sub/amp problem or if my receiver is not sending a signal to the sub. Sub fuse is good, and when I turn the sub/amp power off and on there is a popping sound.  The signal is coming thru a Yamaha AV Receiver RX-V2400.  The rest of the channels work fine.

Thanks for any help/sugguestions.

Steve

Evoke

• Industry Participant
    • EVOKE Planar Loudspeakers
Re: VMPS sub issue
« Reply #1 on: 13 Aug 2020, 03:36 pm »
Figuring it out takes some trial and error... Process of elimination.

Simple things first - change the cable from your receiver sub out to the sub amp in. Check your surround sound settings and confirm that the sub is on. If you've had a power failure recently, electronics can lose their settings.

First, I can't remember if the amplifier is separate from the sub. If it is - connect any working speaker channel to the sub and see if you get sound from it. That would indicate an amp problem. A thump doesn't always mean it's working.

Another option is to use a different source to the subwoofer amp. Another receiver, music from a phone through a mini to RCA jack works as a test - start with the volume super low.

These things should show whether the sub amp is good.

At that point, if none of this works, if you use another receiver - anything you can get your hands on - this is only for testing, and see if that works.

As you can see - we are testing every link in the chain. In a recording studio - sometimes things are so complicated we just rip out all the wires and get drunk. Hope it works for you - and you can have a celebratory beverage :-)

Steve Vol

« Reply #2 on: 13 Aug 2020, 05:19 pm »
Thanks for the sugguestions.  The next question would be, if the amp is bad, since it is built into the sub, how do I repair or replace it, or can it be bypassed?

Steve

John Casler

« Reply #3 on: 13 Aug 2020, 05:48 pm »
Thanks for the sugguestions.  The next question would be, if the amp is bad, since it is built into the sub, how do I repair or replace it, or can it be bypassed?

Steve

Good chance that THIS plate amp will drop right in.

https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-spa1000-1000w-subwoofer-plate-amplifier--300-809

Doublej

« Reply #4 on: 13 Aug 2020, 11:57 pm »
Possibly yes to repair, yes to replace, yes to bypass (which is a variation on replace). Repair is a potential DIY if you have the skill and the time, otherwise repair is best left to a qualified audio technician.

The toughest part about replacing seems to be finding a similar featured, power, size, and plate amplifier. John has given you a good lead.

Bypass is really a variant of replace. You are replacing the amplifier and either removing the existing plate amplifier and replacing it with a blank metal or wood plate that you can mount speaker terminals to or you leave the existing plate amplifier attached to cabinet and create holes by either drilling into the metal plate or removing components (pots or rca jacks) to open existing holes to mount speaker terminals to.

Steve Vol

« Reply #5 on: 14 Aug 2020, 04:48 pm »
Thanks to both for the reply.  Big help.  The amp look identical to one I have.   As it turns out after further digging in, we had some power outages that evidently reset all the settings on my system and turned the sub off.  Got lucky on that, don't have to buy new equipment - LOL, but miss out on the fun of buying new equipment!

Thanks for the responses.

Steve