My X-Statik Build

jeffwhetstone

Re: My X-Statik Build
« Reply #20 on: 2 Jun 2019, 11:53 pm »
Alex,     

Beautiful work there!     Thanks for sharing.      I never would've tried building my own cabinets if it wasn't for all the craftsmen on this site taking time to share their projects.    What a talented and friendly crew that hangs out here!     I'm currently getting ready to paint my 3rd project (X-MTM Encores) but I think you convinced me to try my hand at veneer on my next build.         

Enjoy listening to them beauties...       

best, Jeff

Plund

« Reply #21 on: 4 Jun 2019, 09:37 am »
Alex,  Delicious... thanks for sharing!

scoggs

« Reply #22 on: 18 Dec 2019, 04:58 pm »
Fantastic job!  I have a couple questions if you don't mind...How many sheets of No-Rez did it require and what is the Artist tape for?

AlexH

« Reply #23 on: 18 Dec 2019, 09:17 pm »
I used two sheets of Norez. It was just a bit shy, but not worth buying another sheet.

I use the artist tape to tape off the area I wanted to paint black where I used a 3/4 round over on the back side of the mids. With a round over that big it removes veneer so that the MDF shows. I wanted the round over to be black and the artist tape allows you follow the outline of the circle and give you a nice sharp line when removed after painting the round over black. Does that make sense?

scoggs

« Reply #24 on: 18 Dec 2019, 09:53 pm »
That makes sense.  Thanks for the quick reply!

Jmitchell3

« Reply #25 on: 29 Dec 2019, 11:15 pm »
How do you like the x-static’s???

Hi All

I wanted to share some pics of my latest speaker build. I love to see what others are doing but I never take pics of anything that I am doing. So this time I thought others may find these useful because I always get ideas and help from other people build pics. Its been about 10 years since my last speaker build. I have been rehabbing some classic speakers here and there but nothing from the ground up.

First some info about myself. I am what you call a bang for the buck stereo and home theater guy. My system is what most would call mid level and I am OK with that. So after doing some research and reading of others comments on here, I settled on the X-Statiks. They are done in pomelle makore veneer and curly maple acsents. This will be my first OB speaker experience.

Secondly I have not really been in my wood shop building anything, normally some type of furniture, in about two years. All I can say about the experience is.......man am I rusty.

You may see some of your ideas in this build. I got so much good info and ideas from so many of you.

AlexH

« Reply #26 on: 29 Dec 2019, 11:54 pm »

Its funny you should ask that. I have been digging out past speaker builds so I can free up some money and some space. As I have pulled the old speakers out I have been giving them another listen. They all sound good too me. But when I connect the X-statiks back up I realized what I have been missing. So the short answer to your question is I love them. But like you I came from a box speaker, and the X-statik is a different sound, but I have come to really appreciate it.

I was looking at the pics you posted in another thread with you tektonics. The X-statiks do need room behind them and like you I have a similar problem with space. I only use the X-statics for Music two Channel because I have others in place for home theater. When I listen to music I move them out about two feet in each direction so they have space behind them to get the best sound.  But when I feel lazy I dont move them and they still sound good too me. Take a look at the pic I attached. The speakers in the pic are DCM 1A's that I replaced with the X-statiks.

Jmitchell3

« Reply #27 on: 30 Dec 2019, 01:19 am »
Alex thanks for your response. I’ve never heard open baffle at all but I’ve heard good things especially about Danny’s designs. I like the xstatik because the bass area is sealed/boxed and probably will blend better with my potted svs sub (zero room for tower OB subs with external amps :/ ).

yeah it looks like you weren’t joking about your room that looks to be only mildly more inconvenient for speaker placement than mine lol.

Glad to hear you are enjoying your speakers! Carry on and happy new year!

Its funny you should ask that. I have been digging out past speaker builds so I can free up some money and some space. As I have pulled the old speakers out I have been giving them another listen. They all sound good too me. But when I connect the X-statiks back up I realized what I have been missing. So the short answer to your question is I love them. But like you I came from a box speaker, and the X-statik is a different sound, but I have come to really appreciate it.

I was looking at the pics you posted in another thread with you tektonics. The X-statiks do need room behind them and like you I have a similar problem with space. I only use the X-statics for Music two Channel because I have others in place for home theater. When I listen to music I move them out about two feet in each direction so they have space behind them to get the best sound.  But when I feel lazy I dont move them and they still sound good too me. Take a look at the pic I attached. The speakers in the pic are DCM 1A's that I replaced with the X-statiks.

electronicsfanatic

« Reply #28 on: 31 Dec 2019, 02:30 am »
You inspired me to another level.  I’ve been working on purchasing the X-Staitik pair from Danny, just waiting a few weeks.  I’m gonna start on my cabinets first.  I was going to paint my cabinets and solid wood stained for the front baffle like Ron”s NX Oticas from New Record Day.  However, I love these and I have plenty of cherry veneer around.  Can you tell me what you used to make the grills?  Also, anyone can chime in on MedEx versus the standard 3/4” MDF at Home Depo.  It’s easy to work with and I take it that it sounds better too?  What if I can’t get my hands on any?  I’m going to order the upgraded Sonic Caps/mill resistors and tube connectors.  What are the best areas to put no res inside the woofer cabinet?  This would be my first veneer project so any clues help.  I’ve built many cabinets and subwoofer boxes but,, this will require much more attention to detail.  Even though my modo is if your gonna do it, do it right.

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #29 on: 31 Dec 2019, 08:18 am »
First of all, I'd like to encourage Alex to link this build in the "GR Research Build Threads" sticky at top this of circle. Beautiful work and obviously inspiring to others.

Electronicsfanatic, let me see if I can shed some light on a couple of things. FWIW, I'd encourage you to  have Danny's kit on hand when doing build. I've always found it helpful to have actual parts for driver mounting, test fitting, tweeter depth, crossover board layout, etc. You get the picture.

High density MDF, like Medex and Ranger are superior to any Big Box stuff I've seen. Higher density gives slightly better panel damping in theory but also workability is enhanced. Crisper edges and dados, better screw holding capability, easier to finish, etc. I find exactly one place that I prefer standard MDF and that's the spoil board on router because I pull vacuum through it. Look at real lumber yards, if you have any near you. Cabinet shops use it and some wholesale suppliers will sell to public. Contact manufacturer and find out who distributes in your area and give 'em a call. Also if we know where you are perhaps a resource could be suggested.

I don't think there's any place you don't want NoRez except holding it back an inch or so from backs of drivers. Foam layer can be removed in areas where it's in the way, like under crossover. On the other hand, good panel damping can be accomplished without 100% coverage. The damping layer and not the foam is doing most of the damping work and the performance difference between 100% coverage and, say, 70% would be almost insignificant.

Veneer can be done a number of ways. Easiest for many would be paper backed veneer. Raw veneer is more demanding of the craftsman. Books have been written on the subject. What's the cherry veneer you have?

From a woodworking perspective, my builds have always served to raise my own bar, which I like the idea of. Although I cut my teeth in cabinet shops, I've learned more about furniture building outside of that. Do and learn, do and learn...

electronicsfanatic

« Reply #30 on: 31 Dec 2019, 05:28 pm »
Thanks Peter for the reply.  I'm using a paper backed veneer that is decently thick.  I'm in the process of trying to source the Medex as there are no local suppliers in my area.  I will have the kits on had so I can test fitment, etc.  Anyone know how Alex routed his wires?  I see none on the back.  Maybe he routed a channel inside the front baffle.  More pictures would be nice.   

AlexH

« Reply #31 on: 31 Dec 2019, 06:00 pm »
Thanks for the complements. Peter I will try and get a better build thread together and link it. I was Originally going to do a better job like you have in the past, but I got lazy. And it is certainly high praise coming from you about my build, because the work you do is simply awesome.

electronicsfanitc: I agree with everything Peter said about Medex and veneering. If you go out to https://www.joewoodworker.com/ there some very good info to look at. Also Peter did and excellent job on putting together a video on veneering. Maybe he can join back in and post a link for you.

As far as buying Medex I went to my local lumber yard and they ordered it for me. When you go to the lumber yard go to the contractors desk. They usually have a better idea of where to order it from.

As far as the wiring the upper front baffle, I drilled holes between each driver hole and ran the wire though them. When I had wires that had to go around others drivers to get to the next driver I cut a slot around the driver hole and tuck the wires into it and painted them black. If that makes sense? I got this idea from others on this forum, but I can't remember where it was.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #32 on: 31 Dec 2019, 07:38 pm »
Thanks for the complements. Peter I will try and get a better build thread together and link it. I was Originally going to do a better job like you have in the past, but I got lazy. And it is certainly high praise coming from you about my build, because the work you do is simply awesome.

electronicsfanitc: I agree with everything Peter said about Medex and veneering. If you go out to https://www.joewoodworker.com/ there some very good info to look at. Also Peter did and excellent job on putting together a video on veneering. Maybe he can join back in and post a link for you.

As far as buying Medex I went to my local lumber yard and they ordered it for me. When you go to the lumber yard go to the contractors desk. They usually have a better idea of where to order it from.

As far as the wiring the upper front baffle, I drilled holes between each driver hole and ran the wire though them. When I had wires that had to go around others drivers to get to the next driver I cut a slot around the driver hole and tuck the wires into it and painted them black. If that makes sense? I got this idea from others on this forum, but I can't remember where it was.

Jay (Captainhemo) comes to mind for the wiring trick

AlexH

« Reply #33 on: 31 Dec 2019, 08:57 pm »
Mike you are correct. I do believe it was Jays idea on hiding the wiring. I looked around the site but could not find the post. Maybe Jay will chime in with some pics or links.

New Year All
Alex

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #34 on: 31 Dec 2019, 10:49 pm »
Mike you are correct. I do believe it was Jays idea on hiding the wiring. I looked around the site but could not find the post. Maybe Jay will chime in with some pics or links.

New Year All
Alex

I think it was in his OB7 build thread.

electronicsfanatic

« Reply #35 on: 1 Jan 2020, 02:39 am »
Sorry Alex for bumming your thread!  I figured out how to hide the wires easily by routing a channel between the two front panels then I’ll epoxy or seal between woofer section.  My supplier that was found through Medex website doesn’t Cary that in stock.  I called my lumbar yard and it will cost me $400 plus from Texas to my local lumbar yard to get two sheets.  I had one of their suppliers say they stock EXTIRA 3/4” 4’x8’ sheets.  They look to have the same properties except the EXTIRA is exterior rated.  They both are formaldehyde free, offer great refinishing capabilities, and cut/router well.  Any thoughts? Thanks for everyday insight.

AlexH

« Reply #36 on: 1 Jan 2020, 07:32 am »
$400, that is nuts. In my area (Mid Michigan)  it was 65.00 /sheet. Regular mdf is 45.00. I would go with the regular mdf and be good with it. I have built quite a few speaker projects with regular mdf and it is fine. Medex was just nicer to work with, but regular mdf works. Not sure there is going to be much difference in the sound between the two, with good cabinet bracing. And the X-statiks have plenty of bracing.

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #37 on: 1 Jan 2020, 03:55 pm »
Sorry Alex for bumming your thread!  I figured out how to hide the wires easily by routing a channel between the two front panels then I’ll epoxy or seal between woofer section.  My supplier that was found through Medex website doesn’t Cary that in stock.  I called my lumbar yard and it will cost me $400 plus from Texas to my local lumbar yard to get two sheets.  I had one of their suppliers say they stock EXTIRA 3/4” 4’x8’ sheets.  They look to have the same properties except the EXTIRA is exterior rated.  They both are formaldehyde free, offer great refinishing capabilities, and cut/router well.  Any thoughts? Thanks for everyday insight.

I have to agree with Alex. It just won't make that much difference in the end game. To add to the confusion, even among standard grades of MDF, there are differences. I bought MDF at local HD once on a Sunday, because it was open. I was surprised how pithy it was, compared to what I sourced from lumberyard. YMMV.

Concerning Extira. The same company makes Miratec, which is dimensional trim stock for home exteriors. My understanding is that Extira is the same product in board form. Used for trim and sign making industry. I trimmed my shop with Miratec and it has held up well, have not tried it for speakers, but it's  on my list. The exterior exposure properties are just no concern for speakers. If I were in your shoes, I'd probably go with what lumberyard was offering, in my case that would be Plum Creek, which I've used for many projects. I think all commonly available USA sourced MDF is now NAUF rated...No Additional Urea Formaldehyde. All it means is that the glue/resin used doesn't contain formaldehyde.

It's not worth busting a gusset over or forking over huge $$. That coming from a details freak, FWIW.

Woodsage

• My YouTube Channel
« Reply #38 on: 1 Jan 2020, 09:01 pm »
Thanks Peter for the reply.  I'm using a paper backed veneer that is decently thick.  I'm in the process of trying to source the Medex as there are no local suppliers in my area.  I will have the kits on had so I can test fitment, etc.  Anyone know how Alex routed his wires?  I see none on the back.  Maybe he routed a channel inside the front baffle.  More pictures would be nice.   

If you are using contact cement I would strongly encourage you to use 2-ply veneer backed skins and NOT paper backed. In my forty years in the business I have seen many cases of cracking grain and finish with the paper backing. Including on several of my own projects. In one instance some poor soul used paper backed veneer on a large lobby paneling job. He had massive failure of the veneer and had to redo the whole commercial lobby.

If you are using a hard glue line of some sort then you would probably have less of a problem. Although I would still choose a veneer backing over paper any day.

YMMV of course and good luck with your project.

Tlesnau@me.com

« Reply #39 on: 10 Jun 2020, 09:27 pm »
Beautiful work!  did you set in your network up before gluing the base?  Is the base removable?  I am concerned about having to get to the network once the base is glued into place.

Tony