Welcome to GAS

CarterHendricks

Re: Welcome to GAS
« Reply #160 on: 13 Aug 2010, 02:13 am »
If the VOT cabinet is too expensive [or too large] what about something
smaller, and free?  Tom gave me a Jensen 12inch Ultraflex cabinet, the parent
of the Petite Onken, and I used it with a 414A as a test with the RCA theatre
horn.  It is about 10% smaller than a Petite Onken at 22 x 16 x 29.  Designed
around the Jensen H-222 or similar 12" coax.  Missing some ugly trim that secured
some awful grill cloth. Bad dark "cherry" finish with a test patch of Altec grey
[I have a formula that's close].  48 lbs.  Old 3/4inch plywood, mitered corners.
Veneer defects.  Ugly. Free, you pick up [midtown].  Message here or quicker
by email.  Limited time offer before, well, the dumpster.

--Carter

youravhandyman

« Reply #161 on: 25 Jan 2011, 03:51 am »
Hello all,
My name is Matt and I'm a nube at hifi.  Currently I have my own custom integration business for a few years now but have been around the industry for over 20 years.  My career and audio passion started in car audio as so many of us did.  So 20 years later I'm realizing that my hifi system and knowledge are sorely lacking.  It will be so nice to get to read and chat with all of you. 

P.S.  I do have some friends in the hospitality industry in St. Charles that might be able to help with organization of a St. Louis Audiofest.  Though I can't speak for them I will be glad to volunteer time to the cause. 

Matt

DeadFish

« Reply #162 on: 25 Jan 2011, 12:12 pm »
Hi Matt!

Well-come along to the GAS group!
I'm sure you have had lots to read, and glad to have another voice in the local crowd.
Speaking of local, how local are you? I'm over in Illinois, so don't see a lot of the west-side folks, but there are plenty of us all over.
(BIG HINTS TO ANY NUBEES IN ILL.)
I have to ask, what is a 'custom integration business' ?
Just a new term, I had to ask.
More later...

Best Regards,
DeadFish

hibuckhobby

• On a search for audio nirvana
« Reply #163 on: 25 Jan 2011, 01:58 pm »
I'll have to check in with you folks from  time to time.  Been in the hobby
for close to 40 years.  I now live in No. Illinois, north of Rockford.  If you have
a big gathering, I'd try to come down...especially if I have vacation available to do so.
regards,
Hibuck....

youravhandyman

« Reply #164 on: 25 Jan 2011, 04:29 pm »
Deadfish,
Thanks for the welcome.  Questions answered last to first.  About the business, I guess I didn't fully list the name Custom Electronics Integrator, CE Pro, TV guy...whatever.  Also do video calibration since I'm a bit more qualified as a videophile.  Location wise I'm out of St. Charles, MO.  Hinted at that but never really said. 

Matt

jim yerkes

« Reply #165 on: 7 Jun 2011, 05:19 pm »
Hello fellow GAS members, my name is Jim I live in Kirkwood, missouri I have available for sale a mint Sansui TU 719 tuner along with the origional TU 719 box in mint condition that the unit came in,  also a mint Sansui AU9900A intergrated amp.  Please e-mail me for pictures at   yerkesj@swbell.net   I really prefer to sell as a set, looking for $600.00 ( Tuner/amp)  and prefer to sell locally in the St Louis area do not want to ship. 

Thank you, Jim Yerkes

michaelhigh

« Reply #166 on: 28 Jun 2011, 12:30 am »
Hello! I'm Mike Yaffe, from Belleville, IL, and I've been into audio and a pro musician since the mid-70's. I like to buy/sell/trade gear, records, and like to hang out listening to music. I'm known in various forums on the net, and there are various here I have crossed paths with. I'm looking forward to integrating with other likemindeds here and learning more about the gear I can't afford! I'm sure we'll have a chance to interact. :green:

Blackmore

« Reply #167 on: 28 Jun 2011, 12:42 am »
Hey Mike,
Welcome to the GAS gang.  There's a lot of diversity here; big watt amps/almost no watt amps, vinyl, CD, Computer, 78s, Open baffle, electrostats, big beautiful boxes, ugly little DIY, etc.  (I think I have most of that at my house)  Hope you can make it out to a listening session soon. 

high figh

« Reply #168 on: 9 Aug 2011, 07:25 pm »
Hello all, another newbie here. I have a decent system that I am slowly building bit by bit into what I want while I learn. I am aiming for a vintage 70's tube system. I also have a few components I want to unload that I will put in another post. Anyway, greetings to everyone.

Herb.

Nanook

« Reply #169 on: 26 Nov 2011, 02:29 am »
Howdy,

Joining to hopefully hook up with some of the folks here.  My brother is Chris.  Looking at tinkering with 2 channel music in my basement.
« Last Edit: 28 Nov 2011, 04:15 am by Nanook »

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #170 on: 27 Nov 2011, 12:15 am »
Howdy,

Joining to hopefully hook up with some of the folks here.  My brother is Chris Bayne.  Looking at tinkering with 2 channel music in my basement.
Sorry it took me so long to approve the post Nanook.  :oops:
Welcome to GAS. Where-a-bouts you at in STL?

Bob - House Springs

vhiner

« Reply #171 on: 27 Nov 2011, 12:47 am »
Howdy,

Joining to hopefully hook up with some of the folks here.  My brother is Chris Bayne.  Looking at tinkering with 2 channel music in my basement.

You're Chris's brother? What'd your parents do to deserve  *two* audiophiles in the same family?  :lol:  I kid.  Welcome to GAS! You'll get to hear just about every type of system imaginable if you're interested. Chris has  helped me out tremendously by loaning equipment and expertise. So let us know if you want to try some things.

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
« Reply #172 on: 27 Nov 2011, 01:09 am »
Ohh.....he means *THAT* Chris!  :lol:

Yea. Welcome dude. Any friend of Chris's, is a friend of mine.

sturgus

« Reply #173 on: 27 Nov 2011, 04:00 am »
Welcome to the gang. Word of advice, never, ever take advice from Chris. :nono: If this warning is not heeded you will end up with ten pairs of speakers,20 amps, and thousands of tubes.  If he tries to introduce you to a fellow named John, or Scott, RUN AWAY!!!! or your life as you know it will be ruined forever. :lol:
Sturgus

Nanook

« Reply #174 on: 27 Nov 2011, 04:27 am »
Hehe :lol:

Yeah, Chris is a terrible influence! I've been into saltwater tanks for 10 years and recently redid my home theater in the basement. I've been wanting to give it a try for a while now and my room needs some serious acoustical treatment. I've got an 8 foot aquarium on one wall, then a closet, then another 5 feet of aquarium. The other wall is drywall and a sectional sofa. The back of the room opens up to the stairs going up. So, if anyone wants to help troubleshoot the acoustics with us that would be a huge help and start down the downward spiral:D I live in Oakville off Telegraph and Heintz Road.

I'm thinking about starting with bookshelf speakers and going from there. Chris likes the Merlins and I was checking out Ryan's Vapor lines and want to plan a visit there as well. Thanks for the warm welcome:)

vhiner

« Reply #175 on: 27 Nov 2011, 05:40 am »
Hehe :lol:

Yeah, Chris is a terrible influence! I've been into saltwater tanks for 10 years and recently redid my home theater in the basement. I've been wanting to give it a try for a while now and my room needs some serious acoustical treatment. I've got an 8 foot aquarium on one wall, then a closet, then another 5 feet of aquarium. The other wall is drywall and a sectional sofa. The back of the room opens up to the stairs going up. So, if anyone wants to help troubleshoot the acoustics with us that would be a huge help and start down the downward spiral:D I live in Oakville off Telegraph and Heintz Road.

I'm thinking about starting with bookshelf speakers and going from there. Chris likes the Merlins and I was checking out Ryan's Vapor lines and want to plan a visit there as well. Thanks for the warm welcome:)

If you decide to go the transport/dac route, I have a sweet CEC transport I'm trying to find a new home for.  :wink:

catastrofe

• "That's what credit cards are for. . ."
« Reply #176 on: 27 Nov 2011, 12:56 pm »
Welcome Nanook!  Now I have to put up with you here instead of Reef Central.   :lol:

I have a pair of Salk SoundScapes that would be perfect for you.   :wink:

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #177 on: 27 Nov 2011, 01:38 pm »
Welcome Nanook.

Yes - there are a lot of bad influences in our group...  You'll be hooked in no time.  There are a variety of systems to listen to - vintage to cutting edge, horns to panels, SS, tubes, hybrids, TT's to computer audio, etc.

The room sounds like it will be a challenge with all of that glass from the aquariums but we can certainly give it a shot...

And a welcome to High Figh (Herb) who seems to have been missed in this thread.

Bryan

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
« Reply #178 on: 27 Nov 2011, 03:10 pm »
Hello all, another newbie here. I have a decent system that I am slowly building bit by bit into what I want while I learn. I am aiming for a vintage 70's tube system. I also have a few components I want to unload that I will put in another post. Anyway, greetings to everyone.

Herb.
Good catch Bryan  :oops:
Sorry we missed you Herb. Welcome to GAS!  :thumb:

Bob

vhiner

« Reply #179 on: 27 Nov 2011, 03:16 pm »
Oops. :oops: greetings, Herb! I've never heard vintage 70's tube gear. Sounds fun!