Greetings from SoCal

realrookie

Greetings from SoCal
« on: 4 May 2020, 12:23 am »
Realrookie is my handle but not indicative of my years as a fan of quality 2 channel (with analog & digital sources), HT or headphone systems.  The latter two setups have tended to be the focus when occasional ideas to upgrade have come up.  However, the sudden need to renovate a couple of rooms has steadily increased the frequency of such thoughts to the point that I'm now having to hold back urges vs. simply just considering options.   :wink:

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Greetings from SoCal
« Reply #1 on: 4 May 2020, 12:42 am »
Welcome  :thumb:
Headphones are very convenient and the only speaker that are evolving, loudspeakers are stagnant unfortunately.

Phil A

« Reply #2 on: 4 May 2020, 03:59 am »
Welcome!

Wind Chaser

« Reply #3 on: 4 May 2020, 04:45 am »
Welcome to Audio Circle.  :D

Sambriz

« Reply #4 on: 4 May 2020, 08:16 am »
Hello realrookie from a fellow newbie to this forum!

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #5 on: 4 May 2020, 11:33 am »
Welcome!

Too many audiophiles way over spend on gear for the given room.  Congratulations for taking the wise approach.  If renovating consider insulating the listening room (including ductwork and door).  I used flexible/lined/insulated ductwork and can't hear the furnace fan from 20ft away.  I also used an insulated exterior fiberglass (wood grain that can be painted/stained) door with weather seal to good effect (room was spooky quiet until I acclimated).  Avoid recessed can light fixtures if there's a living space above (my only mistake). 

realrookie

« Reply #6 on: 5 May 2020, 08:38 pm »
FullRangeMan - Have to agree with you on headphones.  This includes major past and exciting developments that continue in all areas, including IEMs, wireless, etc.

realrookie

« Reply #7 on: 6 May 2020, 04:00 am »
Welcome  :thumb:
...loudspeakers are stagnant unfortunately.

Admittedly, my journeys in speakers seemingly became more limited when I began to be captivated by sonic rewards made possible by the specific SETs amps and select other vacuum tube gear.  Although I was limited in overall number of speaker choices, the search for musical reproduction magic was not made any simpler.

realrookie

« Reply #8 on: 6 May 2020, 04:08 am »
Phil A, Wind Chaser, and Sambriz - Hello and thank you.

realrookie

« Reply #9 on: 6 May 2020, 04:15 am »
Welcome!

Too many audiophiles way over spend on gear for the given room.  Congratulations for taking the wise approach.  If renovating consider insulating the listening room (including ductwork and door).  I used flexible/lined/insulated ductwork and can't hear the furnace fan from 20ft away.  I also used an insulated exterior fiberglass (wood grain that can be painted/stained) door with weather seal to good effect (room was spooky quiet until I acclimated).  Avoid recessed can light fixtures if there's a living space above (my only mistake).

Such good stuff JLM!  Will look into these ideas and more, including running dedicated 20A circuit to the HT room with its own separate set of breakers.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #10 on: 6 May 2020, 12:38 pm »
Such good stuff JLM!  Will look into these ideas and more, including running dedicated 20A circuit to the HT room with its own separate set of breakers.

Oh yeah, I did that too (3 dedicated 20A circuits, each to a cryogenically treated hospital grade duplex receptacle).  Room was built with the house, the electrical work was fixed price, so it only cost $100 for the 3 receptacles.

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #11 on: 6 May 2020, 01:41 pm »
Greetings & Welcome to AC realrookie    :thumb:

Caliaudioguy

« Reply #12 on: 7 May 2020, 04:51 am »
Welcome from a fellow new guy too!

diyman

« Reply #13 on: 8 May 2020, 10:04 pm »
Glad to know about more SoCal members.

I've been thinking about the possibly of forming a DIY audio group here.

Any interest?