Teaser of new Single Ended OTL Tube Power Amp Monoblocks

bladesmith

• water quenching steel since 2001....
    • palmer knives
Re: Teaser of new Single Ended OTL Tube Power Amp Monoblocks
« Reply #20 on: 8 May 2019, 07:47 am »
Here's a quick teaser pic of my new amp I will be releasing soon :)
These are going to be a very nice sounding amp with plenty of current and pure single ended bliss, though they are going to be quite heavy and about an inch taller than the Kitoki V2.
Each mono-block uses one 6DJ8 (6N1P-EV) for the driver tube and five 6L6 (6N3S) for the output tubes.
Output power is about 5 watts into 8 ohms and 9 watts into 16 ohms.
Gain is about 10 (+20db).

I only have the one amp built at the moment, but once I finish up the matching pair and get some new photos taken I will have it listed and available (very easy for me now that I have a new camera and portable photo studio!)

I like what you are doing...   :popcorn:
Keep us posted...

Shogun

Re: Teaser of new Single Ended OTL Tube Power Amp Monoblocks
« Reply #21 on: 9 May 2019, 12:15 am »
The phrase "single ended" in regards to power amplifiers is in contrast to more commonly used push-pull designs. While a single output tube can be used in purist single ended designs, they are very limited in power due to inherent power capacity of a single tube operated in such a manner. So it is common to use multiple output tubes in parallel which provide higher power output while still being single ended in operation as opposed to push-pull.

That makes sense,  reminds me of PSE 2A3, 45 and EL84, which use 2 output tubes per channel. Since OTL doesn't require a output transformer, it's easier to have more tubes in parallel.
« Last Edit: 9 May 2019, 09:18 am by Shogun »