UDP 205 IN THE HOUSE! MORE TO FOLLOW!

modwright

« on: 25 Apr 2017, 06:48 pm »
Just got back from Chicago and the Oppo UDP-205 is on my table.  I will be opening it up and sharing my initial impressions as well as mod plans for it today!

Dan
« Last Edit: 9 Sep 2018, 05:08 pm by modwright »

SoCalWJS

Re: UDP 205 IN THE HOUSE! MORE TO FOLLOW!
« Reply #1 on: 25 Apr 2017, 07:33 pm »
Looking forward to following along on this one. I'm hoping that it will sound incredible. Do you have a plan on what upgrades will be available yet? I'm assuming that there will be a separate power supply. Wondering if Bybee rails will be an option or not. Also curious about Audio Pulse Gen or other options.

I know, I know - PATIENCE. Early days. Breathe slowly. Calm myself down.

:bounce:

modwright

« Reply #2 on: 25 Apr 2017, 10:04 pm »
OK, cover off and the following is what I can tell you...

• The 2CH DAC and audio circuitry IS identical to the Oppo Sonica DAC.
  • The digital connectivity and flexible functionality is identical to the Oppo Sonica DAC.
  • The internal switched mode power supply ONLY powers the video circuits.
  • All Audio analog and digital power is from the stock linear supply.
  • Ventilation in the new cover and overall enclosure is greatly improved.  I suspect this is because the 4K video runs HOT!!!
  • The Audio Magic will be an option for the UDP-205.
  • I am not sure yet about the Bybee rail.  I still need to work out exactly which regulator is supplying Vref to the DAC, like the 105. The regs are surface mount.

So, the mod that we have developed for the Sonica DAC and proven to be EXCEPTIONAL from our showing at Axpona Chicago this last weekend, WILL be directly transferable to the UDP-205.  The PCB will have to be customized to fit the 205, but the circuitry, external supply and implementation will be the same.

Summary of mods offering, schedule and options:

• Tube mod for UDP-205 will be the same circuit as for the Oppo Sonica DAC. Lundahl transformer input and output coupled, fully balanced, with RCA and XLR fully balanced outs.
  • PS 9.0 (V10) external supply included in the mod.  This is different than the PS 9.0 (V9.9) that was used for the Oppo 105.  Different voltage and only tube rectified, not tube regulated. NOTE: OLDER PS 9.0 supplies (V9.0 and V9.9 versions) WILL NOT work with this mod.
  • Truth umbilical will be included (all copper conductors, no silver).  Any existing truth mod umbilical will work with this new mod.
  • IEC will be upgraded to Furutech.
  • Mod will include damping mods to enclosure and drive.
  • Base tube mod, including external PS 9.0 (V10) and Truth Umbilical = $2500.
  • Audio Magic Pulse Gen option is available: Price = $400 (add option).

Timeline for UDP-205 Mods:

• 2-3 weeks before first mods ship.  PCB outline needs to be revised and new PCBs ordered.
  • 7-10 day turnaround for all mod customers from scheduled start date to ship date.
  • Orders will be taken and scheduled on a first-come, first-serve basis. We currently have 7 customers who have already scheduled the mod. We have another 35 people who have been given this same information by email.
  • Early customers to schedule in the next week will receive special pricing.

« Last Edit: 25 Apr 2017, 11:26 pm by modwright »

Tony1

« Reply #3 on: 25 Apr 2017, 11:30 pm »
Dan,

Any plans for ss mod for 2ch/multi ch?

Tony

modwright

« Reply #4 on: 26 Apr 2017, 12:42 am »
It is possible, yes.  We have been working with some great SS discrete circuitry also. I will first offer a tube mod however as there are a number of people that have been waiting for this for a long time.

Thanks,

Dan

SoCalWJS

« Reply #5 on: 26 Apr 2017, 01:28 am »
OK. Seeking input.

I need to decide on whether to opt for a larger diameter hole/opening on the top of the PS case. Not sure where to ask...Is there any reason to go with an over size tube on the PS?

Still a bit of a novice with respect to the fine points of tubes. I assume the tubes in the basic Mod are very good and not sure if anybody has found anything that offers an improvement that is also of a larger diameter.

Any feedback?

Dan? Any opinion?

modwright

« Reply #6 on: 26 Apr 2017, 11:53 pm »
Many people really like the 5R4GYS rectifer tube.  It would require the larger diameter hole in the lid.  You can also use 5U4G and 5U4GB tubes.  The 5AR4 and all GZ34 tubes will not require a hole in the PS cover. No charge either way.

Thanks,

Dan

SoCalWJS

« Reply #7 on: 27 Apr 2017, 03:05 pm »
Many people really like the 5R4GYS rectifer tube.  It would require the larger diameter hole in the lid.  You can also use 5U4G and 5U4GB tubes.  The 5AR4 and all GZ34 tubes will not require a hole in the PS cover. No charge either way.

Thanks,

Dan
Thanks Dan.

After speaking to Kristin and hearing her enthusiasm, I started doing some research and it seems that the 5R4GYS is considered to work very well with the ModWright PS. For right now, I am leaning that way (but boy are those things getting pricey).

modwright

« Reply #8 on: 27 Apr 2017, 03:40 pm »
It is true that they are getting expensive, but they are VERY good!

Dan

SoCalWJS

« Reply #9 on: 2 May 2017, 03:33 pm »
OK. I drank the Kool-Aid.

It turns out that Upscale Audio is just off one of the Freeways I take on at least a monthly basis. After trading a couple of emails with Jared, I decided to just stop by on my next trip through and pick one up. (I get paranoid about the shipping. After talking with Jared about how they ship, I won't be for any future orders) .

Went with the Cryo-ed option.

Getting anxious (again).

Patience...... :green:

modwright

« Reply #10 on: 2 May 2017, 03:42 pm »
Right on!  Great rectifier!

Dan

rbbert

« Reply #11 on: 2 May 2017, 06:59 pm »
OK. Seeking input.

I need to decide on whether to opt for a larger diameter hole/opening on the top of the PS case. Not sure where to ask...Is there any reason to go with an over size tube on the PS?

Still a bit of a novice with respect to the fine points of tubes. I assume the tubes in the basic Mod are very good and not sure if anybody has found anything that offers an improvement that is also of a larger diameter.

Any feedback?

Dan? Any opinion?

For the 5AR4 rectifier there are many better options than the one Modwright supplies, and you have obtained one of them.  At $50, most users felt the Phillips 5R4GYS was a great buy; at $135 there are many other alternatives and the choice is much less clear.

As for the 6DJ8/6922/ECC88/7308 signal tubes , there is a huge NOS market out there, with prices into the stratosphere (over $1000/pr), but also many highly regarded tubes in the $200-$600/pr range.  Here's one review, there are a number of others

https://www.tubemuseum.org/SearchResults.asp?Cat=36

JG2

« Reply #12 on: 2 May 2017, 07:56 pm »
For the 5AR4 rectifier there are many better options than the one Modwright supplies, and you have obtained one of them.  At $50, most users felt the Phillips 5R4GYS was a great buy; at $135 there are many other alternatives and the choice is much less clear.

As for the 6DJ8/6922/ECC88/7308 signal tubes , there is a huge NOS market out there, with prices into the stratosphere (over $1000/pr), but also many highly regarded tubes in the $200-$600/pr range.  Here's one review, there are a number of others

YIKES!!!!!!!!!

The CCA version 6922's reviewed by the New York Tube Museum may be the best of the best of the 6922's but at BIG $$$.
There are other options that allow you to keep both of your kidneys  :lol:

Here is another man's (Joe) opinion on 6DJ8 (no go in the MWI Oppo 205) 6922 & 7308's:

https://www.audioasylum.com/scripts/d.pl?audio/faq/joes-tubes.html#6DJ8

Personally, I like any Philips production (Amperex, Valvo, Philips and others) tubes from the Herleen, Holland production plant denoted by a sideways triangle in the etching of most Philips production tubes.

YMMV :green:

SoCalWJS

« Reply #13 on: 2 May 2017, 08:12 pm »

YIKES!!!!!!!!!

The CCA version 6922's reviewed by the New York Tube Museum may be the best of the best of the 6922's but at BIG $$$.
There are other options that allow you to keep both of your kidneys  :lol:

Here is another man's (Joe) opinion on 6DJ8 (no go in the MWI Oppo 205) 6922 & 7308's:

https://www.audioasylum.com/scripts/d.pl?audio/faq/joes-tubes.html#6DJ8

Personally, I like any Philips production (Amperex, Valvo, Philips and others) tubes from the Herleen, Holland production plant denoted by a sideways triangle in the etching of most Philips production tubes.

YMMV :green:
Can't get the quote thing to work quite right on this one - thanks rbbert for your input.

Yeah, I know that tube rolling is the proverbial rabbit hole. Not quite sure how deep I want to go. I want to stick with the tubes that Dan puts in to start, then swap out the GYS and see what difference that makes and go from there. Get to deal with break in issues as well. I was told 40-100 hours is typical for the 5R4, and I'm not sure if I can hold out that long before I get too anxious.

Also decided I need to come up with a clever cover for the whole thing. It's going to end up on a top shelf, and I am quite certain my cats are going to be attracted, not only due to being something new, but something warm. A nice metal decorative cage that is open to the front and back comes to mind. Gotta think about this one as well.  :duh:  :scratch:

modwright

« Reply #14 on: 5 May 2017, 04:34 pm »
Busy working here....Modified Sonica DACs rolling out the door and UDP-205 final mod PCBs arriving early next week!

modwright

« Reply #15 on: 18 May 2017, 03:10 pm »
UDP 205 players stacked to the ceiling, beside another stack of Oppo Sonica DACs!

Both are SHIPPING NOW!!!

Please call if you are interested in scheduling a start date. We are soon booking into early July.

Thanks,

Dan

SoCalWJS

« Reply #16 on: 18 May 2017, 03:54 pm »
 :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:!

Woo Hoo! Can't wait! Got everything ready to go. New Power Cords and a place to put the player.

Any comments on how the 205 & Sonica stack up to some of your previous mods?

witchdoctor

« Reply #17 on: 18 May 2017, 04:25 pm »
:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:!

Woo Hoo! Can't wait! Got everything ready to go. New Power Cords and a place to put the player.

Any comments on how the 205 & Sonica stack up to some of your previous mods?

Congrats, looking forward to pics and a review after you break it in.

modwright

« Reply #18 on: 18 May 2017, 04:30 pm »
Both the Sonica and UDP-205 are a SIGNIFICANT step forward in terms of resolution, detail, dynamics, bass and sound stage.  The new Lundahl transformer coupled, fully differential tube stage with 6922 driver and tube rectified but SS regulated external supply is simply the best work we have done to date!

I am very excited about both of these!

We blew people away with the Sonic at Axpona and will blow people away at LAAS with both the Sonica and UDP-205. We will have two Sonica DACs at our Tryst Headphone display booth and a UDP-205 in a room with WyWires cabling and Studio Electric speakers!

Dan

SoCalWJS

« Reply #19 on: 22 May 2017, 10:32 pm »
Just got notice that my 205 has shipped and will be here in a few days! Woo Hoo!  :hyper: