Song 3 Encore - the wait might kill me.

mixsterdude

Song 3 Encore - the wait might kill me.
« on: 20 Apr 2017, 03:26 am »
I ordered the Song 3 Encore about 2 weeks ago.  At the time, Jim was still working to get the first pair finished and evaluated.  He wasn't even sure that he would have it ready in time for AXPONA.  It sounds like the guys did make that deadline and those first Song 3 Encores are headed to the show.  I wish I could be there to check them out!!

This will be my first pair of Salks.  I haven't even picked a finish yet.  I hope I'm not crazy for buying a speaker that hadn't even been heard by the owner of the company when I bought it.  What can I say, I really trusted Jim and Salk Signature Sound.  Jim spent a lot of time answering all of my questions and he obviously knows his stuff and has a passion for his business.  I was comfortable making the decision after talking to him......and a few follow up emails  :)

I'm still comfortable that I made the right decision.  I'm just anxious to see and hear those beauties now......the wait might kill me.

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
Re: Song 3 Encore - the wait might kill me.
« Reply #1 on: 20 Apr 2017, 05:00 am »
Never fear misterdude, you tread the path of many before. AC has many such threads of those who felt the same, and all appear to have survived smiling. First step is to choose a finish, Good Luck with that, he has so many, and what he doesn't have he can match. So try to relax, the wait will be worth it I'm sure. You can check all the threads in Salk's circle to verify the survival rate if you feel the need.  :wink:  If it wasn't better than good Jim & his crew wouldn't build it.  :thumb:

Big Red Machine

« Reply #2 on: 20 Apr 2017, 10:54 am »
Oh man, I never buy speakers before I hear them!    Sounds like a rookie mistake. :stupid:

Ha. Nothing to fear except we'll tell you how they really sound tomorrow! :o

Is your nervosa getting worse? I'm stoking the fire.....

:tempted:

saygrr

« Reply #3 on: 20 Apr 2017, 12:35 pm »
Looking forward to reading comments from show goers on this speaker.

Where do live mixsterdude?

Thanks

hearditontheX

« Reply #4 on: 20 Apr 2017, 12:42 pm »
Congrats on the purchase!

I'm in a similar boat with my Song3-A's. The wait will be excruciating.
« Last Edit: 20 Apr 2017, 02:15 pm by hearditontheX »

saygrr

« Reply #5 on: 20 Apr 2017, 02:03 pm »
On the Salk web sight the Encore has Satori 9.5 inch woofer, Eton midrange. Who does Salk get the Beryllium tweeter from?

Unable to make it to AXPONA this year. if I make it to RMAF hopefully I can listen to them there or AXPONA next year. 

mixsterdude

« Reply #6 on: 20 Apr 2017, 04:15 pm »
Never fear misterdude, you tread the path of many before. AC has many such threads of those who felt the same, and all appear to have survived smiling. First step is to choose a finish, Good Luck with that, he has so many, and what he doesn't have he can match. So try to relax, the wait will be worth it I'm sure. You can check all the threads in Salk's circle to verify the survival rate if you feel the need.  :wink:  If it wasn't better than good Jim & his crew wouldn't build it.  :thumb:

I'm going to drive myself crazy trying to pick a finish!!  Your last sentence really summarizes why I decided to go with Salk in the end.

Oh man, I never buy speakers before I hear them!    Sounds like a rookie mistake. :stupid:

Ha. Nothing to fear except we'll tell you how they really sound tomorrow! :o

Is your nervosa getting worse? I'm stoking the fire.....

:tempted:

LOL!!!  Please let me know what you think after hearing them this weekend.  I'm jealous that I'm not going to make that show.  I'm planning on going to the LA Audio Show but it doesn't look like Salk Signature Sound will be there.

Congrats on the purchase!

I'm in a similar boat with my Song3-A's. The wait will be excruciating.

Thank you.  Congrats on your purchase as well!!

Looking forward to reading comments from show goers on this speaker.

Where do live mixsterdude?

Thanks

I'm really looking forward to the feedback from the show as well.  I live in Phoenix, AZ.

saygrr

« Reply #7 on: 20 Apr 2017, 08:07 pm »
Rats I'm in wi. I be looking forward to reading your comments. I'm thinking they will be unbeatable at that price point. What have for amps and source?

mixsterdude

« Reply #8 on: 20 Apr 2017, 09:56 pm »
I have the peachtree nova150 integrated amp/dac.  The source is a work in progress.  I'm planning on buying a uturn turntable eventually.  I may get Jim's streamer....but I've also considered "rollin my own".  Right now, it's laptop usb into the peachtree.

DEP14

« Reply #9 on: 21 Apr 2017, 02:16 am »
Looking forward to the reviews.  I wanted to get to Chicago tomorrow, but it's looking highly doubtful. 

johzel

« Reply #10 on: 21 Apr 2017, 04:25 am »
Who does Salk get the Beryllium tweeter from?

Transducer Lab I do believe.  I need to give you call for an audition if you're still interested. 

saygrr

« Reply #11 on: 21 Apr 2017, 11:39 am »
Yes I'm very interested. Where I work is 24/7. I get 2 to 3 days off a week and every other week end. Hopefully we can work out a day.
Should I bring LPs and CDs? Man your speakers are nice looking. Looking forward to seeing them just as much as hearing them.

johzel

« Reply #12 on: 21 Apr 2017, 02:35 pm »
Yes I'm very interested. Where I work is 24/7. I get 2 to 3 days off a week and every other week end. Hopefully we can work out a day.
Should I bring LPs and CDs? Man your speakers are nice looking. Looking forward to seeing them just as much as hearing them.

Will discuss when I call.  I always invite people (not that it occurs often) to bring their own music, electronics (if reasonable) etc.  so that they get a feel for the speakers with what they already know so well.  But I think you'll also be impressed by the Exogal Comet and Ion combo.

johzel

« Reply #13 on: 21 Apr 2017, 02:47 pm »
I hope I'm not crazy for buying a speaker that hadn't even been heard by the owner of the company when I bought it.  What can I say, I really trusted Jim and Salk Signature Sound.  Jim spent a lot of time answering all of my questions and he obviously knows his stuff and has a passion for his business.  I was comfortable making the decision after talking to him......and a few follow up emails  :)

I'm still comfortable that I made the right decision.  I'm just anxious to see and hear those beauties now......the wait might kill me.

Congratulations on your decision.  I have purchased two pairs of Salk speakers under similar circumstances and am absolutely happy that I did.   :thumb:  As you know, you can track the progress of your speakers on the Salk Sound webpage.  Don't go there too often . . . no more than the 20 or 30 times per day I spent checking!!  :duh:

TWINSKI66

« Reply #14 on: 21 Apr 2017, 04:34 pm »
I ordered a pair as well.  Jim explained the S3E offers about 7hz lower in bass extension vs. the other S3 models (but otherwise is similar).  I imagine the upgraded mid will provide 'more' detail in contrast.  The cabinet dimensions are obviously different (specs indicate 2.5" deeper & 2" wider & 2" shorter than the S3, S3A, S3AT model).  There are some YT vids of the entry level S3s @ https://youtu.be/sELMuXF4OvI.  I realize you really can't draw any conclusions without hearing a speaker in your home...but Salk makes a very good product at a reasonable price.  The custom crafted cabinet work alone exceeds what can be had comparatively speaking.

I've had the WOW1 (exchanged them for the Salk Silk monitor). I loved the Salk Silk monitors...just decided to go with a tower (personal consideration & preference).    I sold the Silk monitors to purchase the S3E (very easy to do btw---so that's another indicator of a great product).  Beyond the excellent & meticulous build...the Salk brand sounds amazing...neutral yet lively.  IMHO as close to live music as you'll get from a speaker.  I also love the fact that Salks don't add or subtract anything from the recording.  It's just as advertised (neutral). 

I'm sure there are 'better' speakers but I'm convinced that 'difference' heard would likely be negligible or simply preferable to another listener.  The S3s have received very favorable responses so I trust they'll deliver.  Jim doesn't strike me as someone that would release any speaker design if it wasn't good to go.  He's seems restless when it comes to quality (whole team...Dennis Murphy).

Big Red Machine

« Reply #15 on: 21 Apr 2017, 06:13 pm »
These are very good. Dig deep and the midrange plays way better than its size suggests.

mixsterdude

« Reply #16 on: 21 Apr 2017, 07:23 pm »
Congratulations on your decision.  I have purchased two pairs of Salk speakers under similar circumstances and am absolutely happy that I did.   :thumb:  As you know, you can track the progress of your speakers on the Salk Sound webpage.  Don't go there too often . . . no more than the 20 or 30 times per day I spent checking!!  :duh:

Hey johzel, thank you for you words of encouragement.  I "lurked" for a while on these boards before choosing to pull the trigger.  In my browsing, I noticed that you had purchased Song 3s (with the AT mid if I'm not mistaken?).  How long have you had them now?  I haven't seen any pictures of your speakers.  Do you have a link?

Oh, and yes I've visited the project progress site MANY times the past two weeks.

I ordered a pair as well.....

It looks like we are both going to be anxiously waiting?  :)  Thank you for your words of support.  I'm so fired up!!!

These are very good. Dig deep and the midrange plays way better than its size suggests.

Big Red!!  Did you hear the Song 3 Encore at AXPONA today??????

bahorn1

« Reply #17 on: 21 Apr 2017, 08:55 pm »
I think the S3E sound fantastic!  The only reason I went to Axpona was to hear the S3-A and the S3E.

I currently have Songtowers and HT3s.  I need to downsize and will need a narrow set of speakers.  I may stick with the Songtowers.  But I'm tempted to get the S3 or S3-A.  Listening to the S3E certainly has me thinking about them though.

BRM, sorry I didn't get to meet you.  After you and your wife walked out of the State room this morning, I asked Mary if that was you since you are a big guy.  And Mary confirmed.

johzel

« Reply #18 on: 21 Apr 2017, 09:55 pm »
Hey johzel, thank you for you words of encouragement.  I "lurked" for a while on these boards before choosing to pull the trigger.  In my browsing, I noticed that you had purchased Song 3s (with the AT mid if I'm not mistaken?).  How long have you had them now?  I haven't seen any pictures of your speakers.

Hi.  I've had my "version" of the Song3's since about Xmas.  They do use the AT mids and the beryllium tweeters.  Here's a picture:

mixsterdude

« Reply #19 on: 21 Apr 2017, 10:13 pm »
I think the S3E sound fantastic!  The only reason I went to Axpona was to hear the S3-A and the S3E.

I currently have Songtowers and HT3s.  I need to downsize and will need a narrow set of speakers.  I may stick with the Songtowers.  But I'm tempted to get the S3 or S3-A.  Listening to the S3E certainly has me thinking about them though.

BRM, sorry I didn't get to meet you.  After you and your wife walked out of the State room this morning, I asked Mary if that was you since you are a big guy.  And Mary confirmed.

Thanks so much for the feedback!!  I'm smiling over here  :D