Pez and Tyson's Best of RMAF- the ultimate guide to awesomeness 2013

mgalusha

Another word of thanks for Jason and Tyson. I've known these two for over a decade now and I can say with certainty they don't kiss butt very well. They are telling you what they think, I am absolutely sure of it.

Jon L

Congrats to GR and Dodd on their outstanding sound. But one vendor in that room is not credited and I'm certain contributed a lot to the overall beauty of the sound. Please don't forget that the system was powered with Triode Wire Labs cables.

Congrats Triode Pete!

Love those TWL "Plus" power cords in my system and would love to try those new TWL speaker cables  :thumb:

That's the thing about these shows, though.  Sometimes cabling or little tweaks/accessories can make such a large difference that it's difficult to isolate a component or speaker as being responsible for the sound in the room.  Kudos to Pez and Tyson for taking on the challenge of show coverage; I've tried a few times myself and know how difficult it can be. 

KLH007

I thought the GR/Dodd/Triode Wire room sounded best on Sunday after some needed break in occurred. On Sunday, in the sweet spot, it all came together, big 3-D deep soundstage, transparent, great bass, effortless, vocal focus perfect, dynamic, and dripping with emotion. The power cables and speaker cables were Triode Pete's, they really were synergistic with the electronics and speakers and helped deliver a top shelf performance. Triode Wire Labs has a great rep for AC cords, but his speaker cables are also making waves and as usual are a relative bargain. The Dodd tube preamp and small tube mono amps(34 wpc), delivered a dead quiet background that battery powered kit have a handle on. I may never have seen that much room treatment ever in a single room, reminded me of a Stones song, Paint it Black. Congratulations to all involved, Dodd, Danny, Triode Pete, and the marketing arm for the LSX speakers, Mockingbird.

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
  • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
Thanks for the coverage Jason and Tyler!

One quick question.  Were you able to heard the AK speakers with and without LCS?  I am just curious as to the impact.

A man named George purchased the show system Dream Maker LCS.  George was in the room when the following occurred: I switched the Effects Speakers off for a bit, then back on, followed immediately by a show attendee involuntarily blurting the "S" word.

George is a Marine Aviator.  He later told me that recordings reveal that pilots, just prior to crashing, invariably utter either the F word or S word.  He found it interesting that someone would utter the S word in a good way.  He said he attended several A-B demos, but never before did anyone reply like that guy did.

One other guy visited for about thirty minutes playing blues and roots music, eyes closed, smiling the whole time.  I asked him if he wanted to hear the Effects Speakers off.  He loudly and quickly replied, "No!  Why would I?" 

I was tired after the show, but Monday morning I wanted to return. 

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
Congrats on the sale!  I'm sure for a small company that's HUGE.

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
Congrats on the sale!  I'm sure for a small company that's HUGE.

Thanks Jason.  Incredibly, he allows me to keep them while he remodels!  Sorry I missed you Saturday while uploading images to photobucket.   

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
Thanks Jason.  Incredibly, he allows me to keep them while he remodels!  Sorry I missed you Saturday while uploading images to photobucket.   
You doing Chicago?

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
You doing Chicago?

Chicago AXPONA not currently scheduled.  Looks like next Dream Maker LCS showing is T.H.E. Show, Newport Beach, CA, 30 May-2 June 2014.

Danny Richie

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.gr-research.com
What a ton of work this show was.... :?

Hey nothing but big thanks to Tyson and Pez for taking the time. Their coverage is the best and fastest on the net. Feedback was posted to AC before they even left the room.  :thumb: :thumb:

Too bad you guys didn't get to hear our system Saturday or Sunday. We made quite a change Friday night that took us up a level or two. One of these days maybe we'll have more set up time and all the best tricks available from the start. Those speakers were really fresh too. The cabinets just arrived to me a few weeks before the show. So they really had very little burn in time. I could tell there was a little of that going on as the show progressed. It never fails even if I plan stuff months in advance it still all comes together in the last minutes.

Congratulations to Ryan too. Very good grasshopper.  :wink:  I was glad you were able to join us for dinner on Sunday too. Good to see you man.

And Duke, buddy. I am sorry I didn't get a chance to come see you. Sounds like you out did yourself. Congratulations man.

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
Danny, congratulations on a job well done!  I have nightmares just thinking about your crew moving those monster open baffle line arrays. 

I'll buy dinner Saturday night 2014 RMAF for the winner of the following contest: who ever got less sleep the week prior to 2013 RMAF, you or Duke! 

minimus

Many thank, Pez and Tyson.  Your commentary last year and this year has been really motivational. 

The professional rags make audio shows seem like high end fashion shows, where the prices are jaw-dropping, the audience is geriatric, and the salespeople are snobs.  Your perspective is completely different -- irreverent, humorous, sometimes brutally honest.  You findings are eye-opening and educational, particularly on the unexpectedly low correlation between price and performance.

I finally got off my butt after reading your coverage last year and went to the New York Audio Show, my first show ever. I am glad I did, and one day hope to make it to RMAF.  So keep up the good work.  Your coverage is the best there is.

Danny Richie

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.gr-research.com
Danny, congratulations on a job well done!  I have nightmares just thinking about your crew moving those monster open baffle line arrays. 

I'll buy dinner Saturday night 2014 RMAF for the winner of the following contest: who ever got less sleep the week prior to 2013 RMAF, you or Duke!

Speaking of moving those speakers around.... They did not fit in the elevators. We carried those beast up and down two flights of stairs.

I don't know who lost the most sleep the week before the show, but on set up day (Thursday) we worked on the room until 4:00 in the morning and finally gave up and called it a night. Then up at 7:00 am to get started on finishing up getting it all up and playing. I was running on empty that first day.

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
At least we all get to drive a Ferrari for our efforts...you know, the little red Hot Wheels Ferrari from Costco! 

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
  • Building Audio Bling since 2007
    • Vapor Audio
All I keep thinking reading the coverage and show recap is what an amazing group of designers we have represented here!  It's safe to say that AC represents the best of the best, and choosing which is THE best is splitting hairs.  All of these incredible designers being under one roof is really resulting in us pushing the limits, and creating some fantastic options for customers. 

What's more, AC also has the absolute best show coverage from Tyson and Pez!  All the other 'paid' reviewers are still floundering trying to catch up, and what has been posted is nowhere near as insightful. 

It was a challenging show for us in many respects, but receiving the accolades made it all worthwhile ... and then some!  Normally at shows I get out of the room and say hi to all the AC'ers in addition to seeing some rooms, but my apologies this time for not being able.  It was non-stop problems in our room, that plus being at the Hyatt kept me pretty much locked in the room.  I really wish I could have heard some of these other amazing rooms  :(

Keep up the good work everybody!  It's basically performance and value vs. marketing and perception, and we're making some serious progress in the battle. 

asliarun

Pez and Tyson, I am a relatively new forum member and this is the second review I am reading by you guys. Consistently the best reviews I have read in any forum or magazine. Kudos!

A couple of questions - what are the songs you use to audition with? Also, would you mind telling us a bit about the kind of audio system you normally listen to, and the kind of sound that you like?

Danny, a big congrats to you as well. You design some really good speakers. I wish I had made it to rmaf, if only to say hi.

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
Pez and Tyson list their show tunes in an earlier show thread...look for thread title "how we do it" or similar.  It was a killer, eclectic list.  One of the best things about meeting audio nuts is hearing great new music. 

I worked many CES and THE Show, but none approached the fun of RMAF (this was my first).  I'm sure a major reason is AC and its great members/vendor supporters. 

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
Music
This year our music selection is:

Saint-Saen's - Danse Macabre (transcribed for Violin and Piano) - Shaham & Feltman performing.

Handel - Aria - Lascia ch'io Pianga - de Niese performing

Mahler - Symphony 5 - Bertini conducting

The Civil Wars - The One That Got Away

Tom Waits - Walk Away

Pez

Music
This year our music selection is:

Saint-Saen's - Danse Macabre (transcribed for Violin and Piano) - Shaham & Feltman performing.

Handel - Aria - Lascia ch'io Pianga - de Niese performing

Mahler - Symphony 5 - Bertini conducting

The Civil Wars - The One That Got Away

Tom Waits - Walk Away

Is that what we listened to?  :scratch:  :duh: :P

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
Jesus Christ, I won't be able to listen to any of those tracks again, for at least 5 years.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
Is that what we listened to?

Jesus Christ, I won't be able to listen to any of those tracks again, for at least 5 years.

Try this one next year.... :wink:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahJCERfeehY