cornet 2 complete !

cyto

cornet 2 complete !
« on: 15 Jul 2013, 05:25 pm »
I finished my Cornet 2 yesterday boy it does sound good  :green: My wife even noticed the difference.

The unit is reasonably quiet, not as quiet as the solid state phono pre it replaced but not bothersome.

One thing I did notice is that with the phono selected on the integrated amp and the Cornet 2 turned on, if I power on the tuner I can faintly hear the radio station the tuner is tuned to if I turn the volume up very loud. I don't hear it with the tuner off.

I was wondering if I did something wrong in the shielding, I did use a walnut Hammond case but it has top and bottom metal and I lined the inside with aluminum sheeting.

Thanks

David

galyons

Re: cornet 2 complete !
« Reply #1 on: 15 Jul 2013, 06:13 pm »
It is bleed over from the switching circuit of the preamp section in your integrated. It has nothing to do with the C2.  As the old joke goes...

Patient:    "Doctor it hurts badly when I do this...."
Doctor:    "Then don't do that!"   :nono:

Cheers,
Geary

cyto

Re: cornet 2 complete !
« Reply #2 on: 16 Jul 2013, 12:16 am »
Thanks Geary, I figured someone would say  "well don't do that"   :lol:  But as you know I wanted to make sure I didn't mess something up, and I was afraid that might be a sign I did.

I couldn't be more pleased with the sound, thanks Jim Hagerman for a great design   :thumb:

I an addition to changing the case, which required a lot of extra work, included shortening the stand offs to 7/8", but it met the WAF with flying colors, I used Solen Fastcaps in the signal path and AES gold RCA jacks.

Tubes: Sovtek 5Y3GT rectifier, Tungsol reissue 12AX7, Electro Harmonix 12AU7

If anyone is interested here is a link to my photobucket page with my Cornet 2 photos:

http://s1215.photobucket.com/user/cytovette/library/Audio%20Video/Cornet%202