Frugal Horn MK3 with Coral Holey Basket drivers and planar tweeters

Norman bates

Re: Share pictures of your DIY fullrange speakers thread
« Reply #161 on: 10 Dec 2019, 12:13 am »
 :thumb:

alanhuth

« Reply #162 on: 15 Jan 2020, 02:45 am »
You guys do nice work.  This is my second effort, a pair of FrugelHorn XLs with Alpair 10p drivers.  I like this photo because the white drivers don't look so hot against the dark faux wood.  I posted this same photo on introductions.  New as of today. 

I was warned not to get into full-range drivers to start because they "beam" and they lack highs and lows.  I have found none of these things to be true.  I even attached a pair of super tweeters to see if the highs could be improved, but they were completely superfluous.  And, for music anyway, bass is quite good, IMHO. 

ealtan

« Reply #163 on: 12 Feb 2020, 11:35 am »

Sorry! I couldn't edit to turn the picture...

mocean

« Reply #164 on: 30 Apr 2020, 03:38 am »
FE108EZ's. Baltic birch w/ Zebra wood veneer.
Did have FE103-SOL's in there. These look & sound much better.

Please excuse the bookshelf on top. Was playing around that day.

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #165 on: 1 May 2020, 04:18 am »
Those look like Scott’s BK12m?

FE108e∑ is a very nice driver, amazing that it is now some 2 decades old and has stood the test of time.

dave

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #166 on: 1 May 2020, 04:22 am »
with Alpair 10p drivers.  I like this photo because the white drivers…

They are blue. At least until i get at them.

I was warned not to get into full-range drivers to start because they "beam" and they lack highs and lows.  I have found none of these things to be true.  I even attached a pair of super tweeters to see if the highs could be improved, but they were completely superfluous.  And, for music anyway, bass is quite good, IMHO. 

:^)

The FHXL extracts close to as much as possible from the A10x. Mark Fenlon himself was quite stunned when he heard a pair of the 1st prototypes. He asked to hear the sam etrack again to make sure he was not hallucinating.

dave

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #167 on: 1 May 2020, 04:32 am »
Mark are in good health?

Poultrygeist

« Reply #168 on: 10 Jun 2020, 10:40 am »
Recently completed the MJK designed Lowther DX3 MLTL speakers. I deviated from the plans by placing the baffle step compensation circuits in cigar boxes on top rather than inside the enclosure. Wonderful sounding FRSD speakers.

Poultrygeist

« Reply #169 on: 10 Jun 2020, 10:48 am »
Wooden cigar boxes are cheap, smell nice and can add a bit of humor as these are labeled Chillin Moose. As big and heavy as these MLTL's are that's probably a good name for them.

Poultrygeist

« Reply #170 on: 10 Jun 2020, 10:59 am »

LostInPA

« Reply #171 on: 29 Jul 2020, 03:01 pm »
I have "re-purposed" cabinets that I had made for a different project, shown here  https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=167918.0

The Tang Band W8-2145, with appropriate ports, is a much better solution for these cabinets.

https://www.parts-express.com/tang-band-w8-2145-8-paper-cone-full-range-driver-8-ohm--264-960

https://www.parts-express.com/speaker-cabinet-port-tube-1-3-4-id-x-4-l--260-407 

Three ports per cabinet gives calculated results as:  a slow rise of less than 1 dB down to 72 Hz, then decreasing to -3 dB at 40 Hz.

Very satisfactory performance, and more than adequate for use in a small room.

Do not know why "corrected" rotation did not correctly load here.

ttan98

« Reply #172 on: 20 Oct 2020, 02:00 am »
I have "re-purposed" cabinets that I had made for a different project, shown here  https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=167918.0

The Tang Band W8-2145, with appropriate ports, is a much better solution for these cabinets.

https://www.parts-express.com/tang-band-w8-2145-8-paper-cone-full-range-driver-8-ohm--264-960

https://www.parts-express.com/speaker-cabinet-port-tube-1-3-4-id-x-4-l--260-407 

Three ports per cabinet gives calculated results as:  a slow rise of less than 1 dB down to 72 Hz, then decreasing to -3 dB at 40 Hz.

Very satisfactory performance, and more than adequate for use in a small room.

Do not know why "corrected" rotation did not correctly load here.

Can you advise us is there any major differences in sound quality between the Crystal 8" and Tangband W8-2145? Which FR do you refer besides the bass response(bass response between ported and sealed are different anyway)?
How do you find high freq. response between the 2speakers?

Thanks.

LostInPA

« Reply #173 on: 21 Oct 2020, 03:30 am »
In very general terms:

- The Lii-Audio Fast-8 comes across as slightly cleaner and faster, especially at higher frequencies.   Listening with the speakers at 45 degrees and my ears at that focus or slightly back from that focus is no problem.

- The Tang-Band W8-2145 comes across as more full bodied [could that be the ports effect?], and slightly less clean at higher frequencies.    Listening with the speakers at 45 degrees and my ears farther back from the focus cleans up the higher frequencies [the equivalent of listening 15 degrees off the pointing axis].   

FYI for DIY:
- the drivers are approximately the same price;
- the BHC for the mounting screws is the same, with the Lii having 4 holes and the T-B having 8;
- The Lii has a wide front flange, and requires a baffle clearance hole of 7 3/8 inches.   The T-B has a narrow front flange, and requires a baffle clearance hole of 7 1/2 inches.  In other words, make the hole 7 1/2 inches to be useful for either driver.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #174 on: 21 Oct 2020, 03:55 am »
Hi LostInPA,
Thanks for inform us on this first hand report.
Do you have any information on the soundstage?

Jon L

« Reply #175 on: 21 Oct 2020, 04:27 am »
- The Lii-Audio Fast-8 comes across as slightly cleaner and faster, especially at higher frequencies.   
- The Tang-Band W8-2145 comes across as more full bodied [could that be the ports effect?], and slightly less clean at higher frequencies.   

Any plans for trying Visaton B 200 8" full rangers?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0qNlUBTlsQ&t=1309s

ttan98

« Reply #176 on: 21 Oct 2020, 10:06 am »
In very general terms:

- The Lii-Audio Fast-8 comes across as slightly cleaner and faster, especially at higher frequencies.   Listening with the speakers at 45 degrees and my ears at that focus or slightly back from that focus is no problem.

- The Tang-Band W8-2145 comes across as more full bodied [could that be the ports effect?], and slightly less clean at higher frequencies.    Listening with the speakers at 45 degrees and my ears farther back from the focus cleans up the higher frequencies [the equivalent of listening 15 degrees off the pointing axis].   

FYI for DIY:
- the drivers are approximately the same price;
- the BHC for the mounting screws is the same, with the Lii having 4 holes and the T-B having 8;
- The Lii has a wide front flange, and requires a baffle clearance hole of 7 3/8 inches.   The T-B has a narrow front flange, and requires a baffle clearance hole of 7 1/2 inches.  In other words, make the hole 7 1/2 inches to be useful for either driver.

Which driver do you refer?
I suspect the Lii gives you better clarity and Tang Band gives added body in the mid-range but which driver gives better midrange esp for voice reproduction?

thanks

LostInPA

« Reply #177 on: 21 Oct 2020, 03:12 pm »
- These speakers are presently in a room of approximately 180 square feet.  They are on the long wall, driver centers 20 inches from the wall, 8 feet apart, and at 45 degrees.  They started out 10 feet apart, and gave only good soundstage.   The 8 feet separation gives very good soundstage.   I am not yet convinced to try less spacing; I might get a tighter soundstage, yet a smaller sweet spot.

- I have never heard the Visaton B200, and have no plan to try it.   I  am not pleased with the 8 dB drop from 1,500 Hz to 600 Hz.

- I can give no definitive answer as to vocal reproduction.   I avoid all vocal music.   I did bring these with the T-B driver to an audiophile friend's house for a listen with a few people.   He did play some vocal music, and I thought that the lyrics were very legible.   FYI: I am driving these with 25 wpc of push-pull 807 tubes biased in to Class A.   He had a borrowed 21 wpc single-end 845 tubes.

ttan98

« Reply #178 on: 22 Oct 2020, 03:04 am »
LostInPA,

You haven't answered the question which driver do you prefer and what music do play them with if you don't use them listening to vocal music? Thanks.

LostInPA

« Reply #179 on: 22 Oct 2020, 04:20 pm »
- I have provided my listening impressions.  It makes no difference as to which driver I prefer, only which driver you prefer.  Do your own experimenting.

- Other than vocal music, the other general type that I do not listen to is large scale works.  The older I get, the more I veer away from the artificial restraints of the traditional requirements of melody, harmony, and rhythm.   As the late great guitarist Derek Bailey called it, Non-Idiomatic Music.    Here is an example  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rY6wbSXH92I   If that 50 minute video is too much for a first immersion, try this 8 minute video of Olaf Rupp on acoustic guitar  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eq23zH5Kqss   and this 20 minute one of Olaf Rupp on electric guitar with Rudi Fischerlehner on drums   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4z_pFiKH1RQ 

- FYI, here is a very good article on loudspeaker placement, written specifically for speakers with waveguides, that I have found useful for non-waveguide speakers  http://libinst.com/PublicArticles/Setup%20of%20WG%20Speakers.pdf