What were your first speakers?

dB Cooper

What were your first speakers?
« on: 13 Nov 2012, 09:17 pm »
OK. There's a "first amp" thread and a "first turntable" thread so this seemed like a natural. What was your first speaker system? Mine, like so many others, were the Dynaco A-25.

(not sure what the deal is here as the A-25 was never sold in mirror image pairs afaik)

Paid $55 each. Had some friends who had Advents but their foam surrounds have long since rotted out. My A-25s are at my ex-brother-in'law's place and still work.

So what was your first pair of speaks?

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
Re: What were your first speakers?
« Reply #1 on: 13 Nov 2012, 09:23 pm »
My first speaker was a single University 6201, and in the mid-1960s I couldn't find another 3-way so I mated it to a different University, maybe a #3_ _ unit, can't remember.

BTW, if anyone has a nice, clean University 6201 that needs a home, I'd like to know.  I did find an original KT-88 Garrard TT that I am displaying; wouldn't mind another 6201.   :thumb:

simoon

« Reply #2 on: 13 Nov 2012, 09:41 pm »
I started out sort of skipping the low end, entry level. My interest in music and audio began simultaneously. 

I had a cousin that worked for a stereo store chain, and even though they didn't carry too much good gear, he had access to getting deals through manufacturer reps.

He got me a pair of these at 'accommodation' (half of retail, which is less than cost) price.

A friend of mine still has these. The surrounds were rebuilt about 10 years ago and we upgraded the x-overs.

kevin360

• án sǫngr ek svelta
« Reply #3 on: 13 Nov 2012, 09:56 pm »
I started with a pair of Optimus 1B speakers from Radio Shack. It was the only part of my first system that I bought new. Hey, I was just a kid and I had to cut quite a few yards to pay for them. I moved from the RS speakers to a pair of Large Advents and then bought some JBL L112s in 1980 (IIRC) - still have the JBLs (in the garage).

Wayner

« Reply #4 on: 13 Nov 2012, 10:01 pm »
Mine was a pair of AR-2ax's bought about 1972-3?

Underpowered by a Dynaco Stereo 120. Funny how there was such incredible mis-matches of speaker types/efficiencies during those early days.....

Oh well

Wayner

cornelius

« Reply #5 on: 13 Nov 2012, 10:30 pm »
A pair of mid 80s Boston Acoustics A70 MkII's...  After a bunch of upgrades it'd be fun to hear those now...

AVnerdguy

« Reply #6 on: 13 Nov 2012, 10:43 pm »

A pair of Advents w/utility cabinet - and like Wayner's ARs woefully underpowered by a Dynaco 120 amp

bummrush

« Reply #7 on: 13 Nov 2012, 10:43 pm »
3 way Infinities  from Sound of Music in the twin cities in 76

Mitsuman

• Diamond Tone Junkie
« Reply #8 on: 13 Nov 2012, 11:00 pm »

Altec 891A's with a Technics 5370 Receiver and Pioneer PL112D TT.  :D

From http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=95815.0

cheap-Jack

« Reply #9 on: 13 Nov 2012, 11:02 pm »
Hi.
OK. There's a "first amp" thread and a "first turntable" thread so this seemed like a natural. What was your first speaker system?

Started DIYing as a poor school kid in large low-income family till now, my first loudspeaker was a British made ELAC S517 8" dual cone 'full-range' driver in a flimpsy hand-built box.

It sounded pretty gratifying to me considering it's my first loudspeaker I could only afford.

c-J 

paul canady

« Reply #10 on: 13 Nov 2012, 11:26 pm »
My first speaker that I really cared about or can remember was the JBL 4312 studio monitors. Descent speakers in their time. They were powered by the Sansui 9090db receiver. 120 watts with dual meters  :thumb:

orthobiz

« Reply #11 on: 13 Nov 2012, 11:47 pm »
Big Julie custom speakers from Hempstead Long Island. Rumor was they were in large Advent fake wood cabinets, 3 way with 12" woofer, not very good at all! But they could play pretty loud. No pics...

Paul

Just checked: there's STILL a Big Julie's on Fulton Avenue in Hempstead!!!

Doublej

« Reply #12 on: 14 Nov 2012, 01:10 am »
Mismatched Burhoe Crimsons. I bought them and within a week a magnet fell off on one of the drivers. I brought the pair back to where I bought it and they gave me one new speaker. When I got home I noticed that the port size and tweeters were slightly different on the two speakers but I was too naive to bring it back.

They are currently in service as speakers for my Samsung LCD TV. One woofer was rebuilt when I was living in LA and subsequently the other one was refoamed by MillerSound.

The brochure on these claimed that they were used to mix something from the Blues Brothers.

http://www.humanspeakers.com/cgi-bin/page.pl?page=o/burhoe-crimson.txt

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #13 on: 14 Nov 2012, 01:29 am »
I don't remember my first ones as they were part of a package deal from Sam Goody's (Harman Kardon receiver, BSR turntable, mystery speakers) but the first "real" speakers that I bought were the ever popular Large Advents.
These aren't them as mine had the optional "doggie wee wee stain" on the grills.

Judging from this photo, the owner has encountered a similar problem with his. 

FireGuy

« Reply #14 on: 14 Nov 2012, 01:32 am »
A pair of Sansui SP-5500X.  Purchased at the U.S. Navy base in Yokosuka, Japan 1978.  They cost me $95.00 each and had them shipped directly to NY.  I still have them up and running in my newly created vintage 2C audio cave but the pair do need some work to get back to their original glory.  Quite the performers in their time.

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #15 on: 14 Nov 2012, 02:23 am »
Boston Acoustic A40 bookshelves in the bedroom (hooked up to a Sansui 5000A).  Still have & listen to them in a new bedroom, this time w/ a Sansui 2000, and still love em.  Tweeter can't handle high power, put has plenty of detail.  Bass is rated only down to 68hz, but is punchy and seems to reach below it's rating.  Anyone ever seeing them at a garage sale or goodwill should scope up a pair - they make a great speaker for smaller rooms.

WC

« Reply #16 on: 14 Nov 2012, 02:31 am »
My first real set of speakers was a pair of Baby Advent II's in 1990. Still use them to this day in my workshop.

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #17 on: 14 Nov 2012, 03:08 am »
J.B.Lansing C36
two way

SJ David

« Reply #18 on: 14 Nov 2012, 06:03 am »
I started with a pair of Optimus 1B speakers from Radio Shack. It was the only part of my first system that I bought new. Hey, I was just a kid and I had to cut quite a few yards to pay for them. I moved from the RS speakers to a pair of Large Advents and then bought some JBL L112s in 1980 (IIRC) - still have the JBLs (in the garage).

Me too, different model. Radio Shack was the biggest seller of home audio gear that it should be first for many. Not the first REAL speaker though. Looked nice, sounded bad. Even with my NEWBY ears I knew there was much lacking. First real speakers were Sansui LM 330.

fredgarvin

« Reply #19 on: 14 Nov 2012, 04:38 pm »
The B.I.C. Formula 4. These babies could play as loud as your amp could go, with incredible punch. $250 or so.