A sad and happy day

ekovalsky

A sad and happy day
« on: 14 May 2005, 10:29 pm »
VMPS speakers have been the centerpoint of my audio system for the last three years, first the RM-40 then the RM/X.  This morning the RM/X sang here for the last time, they are now disconnected and will be re-crated as soon as I recover my strength from moving nearly a ton of Alon speakers into the listening room by myself.  I got inpatient waiting for my buddies to show up.  They've been in my garage for the last week getting refinished for wife approval.

How do the Alons sound?  About like they should given what they cost !  I haven't even hooked the subs up yet, and already with just rough positioning and no DSP crossovers or room correction, they have reset my expectations as to what is possible in home audio.  My wife, who has younger and better ears than me, concurs.

Tonight I will nurse my sore body with a bottle of wine (or maybe a six pack of Fat Tyre Ale) in my reclining chair while meditating in my remodeled 'temple'  :D

Pics in gallery.

KJ

A sad and happy day
« Reply #1 on: 14 May 2005, 11:35 pm »
Congratulations!  Go with the wine and send me the Fat Tire!  I've never found it in the Midwest.  I make a point of buying some everytime I travel to AZ.  Fortunately for me, the master brewer at New Belgium Brewery has a brother in the business and makes a similar beer called Port Washington Amber Ale.

Have you decided on what electronics you will use to drive the new toys?  As I recall, you were swapping out most of your gear as well.

-KJ

John Casler

A sad and happy day
« Reply #2 on: 14 May 2005, 11:43 pm »
Eric,

Well you'll always be one of the VMPS bunch as far as I'm concerned, no matter what speaker you end up with down the line (although I don't think there is much of a line beyond where you are now)

Please keep us informed of how you "blend" the Alons to operate with the TACT system.

This should be some project with all those "drive" banks and arrays.

I would expect that "room correction" with dipolar radiation will "in itself" be quite interesting.  

Have fun :mrgreen:

(I knew you couldn't wait to get those bass towers in the room :lol: )

ARAM

A sad and happy day
« Reply #3 on: 15 May 2005, 10:38 pm »
Eric,  how   did  you move  them  by  only  yourself?????

ekovalsky

A sad and happy day
« Reply #4 on: 15 May 2005, 11:32 pm »
'tilt and slide'

While upright, I walked them onto a large, low friction moving pad then was able to pull them on the pad through the house (mercifully a single level home) and 'walk' them into position.  There is one step coming out of the garage which was a bit tough to negotiate, I had to tilt each piece so the base would raise up enough to slide it over onto the step.  The mains channels weren't too bad, the subs were really pushing it.  The 375 lb RM/X seem very light compared to the sub towers, which I suspect are around 500 lbs each.  The main channels are somewhat under 300 lbs each.

In all, this was several hours work.  It really hit the core muscles of the body --abdominals, paraspinus, groin, etc (the ones that you normally don't use in day to day activities or at the gym) and I'm quite sore.  No major injuries though  :D

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
A sad and happy day
« Reply #5 on: 16 May 2005, 04:44 am »
I think that's how they built the pyramids! :lol: