SOLD: Exogal Comet DAC Plus

abd1

• DailyFrenchie
SOLD: Exogal Comet DAC Plus
« on: 13 Mar 2019, 03:25 am »
Up for sale is my Exogal Comet DAC Plus. The plus model has an external power supply that improves dynamics and resolution. This is a great DAC that can also be used as a preamp. It even has an analogue input so you could hook up a phono preamp and turntable. It has volume control via remote control and/or free mobile app. One cool feature with the remote is that it’s bluetooth (wish all manufacturers would do this) so that if the DAC is inside a cabinet or you’re not in line of site you can still operate the unit. This DAC is an FPGA DAC created by the folks who created Wadia. After Wadia was acquired by the McIntosh Group they left to start Exogal.

I’ve A/B compared this to the PS Audio Directstream Jr. DAC and it is very hard to tell a difference. This DAC is a touch more relaxed sounding. It has a bit heavier in bass. The DSJr is a touch more detailed and a slightly bigger soundstage. However, that’s because I was trying to hear a difference. Other than that it’s very hard to tell a difference. I’m keeping the DSJr. because I like the built in bridge so I can use it as a streamer also. I also A/B’d it against the Bluesound Node 2 DAC. That was laughable. The Exogal crushed it. It also crushed an Eastern Electric Minimax DAC Plus which is a highly regarded tube DAC.

I’ll post more pics soon. You can also see videos of the DAC in operation here: https://youtu.be/Cc0-HYxNC1c. Just don’t judge the sound from

the video.

« Last Edit: 14 Mar 2019, 10:11 pm by abd1 »