OB2X demo tour, first photos

Berndt

OB2X demo tour, first photos
« on: 25 Aug 2007, 05:25 pm »

I want to thank Al for the chance to give these guys a listen, they are a treat.
The ribbon tweater/ob m-130x are very cohesive and open sounding. Easy to listen to.
Al did a great job on these.
If you are in the bay area and want to hear these drop me a PM or check the thread on the norcal circle.

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=44499.msg398268#new

RAW

Re: OB2X demo tour, first photos
« Reply #1 on: 3 Sep 2007, 05:29 pm »
Well Bill
They made it :thumb:

So over all what you think?

Berndt

« Reply #2 on: 7 Sep 2007, 02:11 am »
Overall a very pleasing speaker to listen to.
Surprisingly they sound better in my room w/o the subs and with my old luxman integrated amp.
More detail than my maggies by a large margin.

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
  • Building Audio Bling since 2007
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #3 on: 7 Sep 2007, 02:31 am »
An update from me too.  Since I've been rebuilding my previous custom-design mains, these have been my primary listening speakers.  The system there consists of a D-Sonic 1000S amp that uses B&O 1000ASP ICEpower modules (600 wpc), Parasound Halo C2 pre/processor, Xindak DAC-5 tube DAC, Boulder modded SB3 with modded Elpac power suppy, Xindak FS-2 speaker wire, Acrolink 2110 XLR from DAC to C2, Neotech 2001 from SB3 to DAC.

Overall I've been quite pleased with the OB2X's.  Let me first iterate a couple changes I made to mine - I used CFAC copper-foil inductors on the tweeter circuit which DOES change the tweeter response somewhat (see my gallery for a measurement showing the differences), and I've made a couple small changes to bring up the midbass energy around 150-200hz just a touch. 

They're in a somewhat less than optimal room, but they throw a huge stage that goes outside and far deeper than the speakers physical boundaries.  The M-130x woofers definately have more detail than the non XBL version, which I'm quite familiar with.  And the Ribbon tweet has really grown on me over time, I guess I should say that it's REALLY grown on me over time :)  The speaker as a whole also integrate perfectly with a subwoofer crossed at 55hz, it's the best subwoofer integration I've experienced in my room. 

For me, decisions about speakers must be made over weeks ... not days or hours.  That's because I listen to a huge variety of music, and if the speakers can't do it all, then I don't want 'em.  Of course I don't expect anything to sprinkle crappy recordings with pixie dust, but as long as they can be listened to without physical pain I'm good.  These have that magical combination of being revealing and detailed while also being forgiving at the same time ... that's something I've experienced many times with the GR drivers, and that's why I keep going back.

Another thing, they also do Home Theater VERY well.  Their large and diffuse sound-field lends itself well to theater, and props to the M-130x for never sounding strained even at deafening levels driven with 600 watts ... that's quite an accomplisment for a 5.25" open baffle midrange, going down to 200hz.

Kudos guys for making a killer kit that pretty much anyone can afford ... I still say the tall skinny box is goofy looking though :D

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #4 on: 7 Sep 2007, 03:08 pm »
Turbo,

Thanks for the review. That makes two of us at 33. And I noticed you had an August birthday as well. I'm glad you approve of the OB2X as I was looking forward to your impressions. Do you have the speaker just passively rolling off at 55 Hz or do you run it through an active crossover that cuts it off at 55 Hz? If so, did you try a higher crossover point, say 100 Hz? I realize at that point, the M130X driver is playing about 1 to 1.5 octaves since its passively crossed over at 200 hz.

What do you think of the off axis response? Do you have to sit in the center all the time, or can you move around the room with little difference. I notice that with the OB-5's there really wasn't one exact sweet spot, which was nice.

I've heard good things about the D-Sonic amplifiers. Good prices too. Very cool looking.

Thanks for your thoughts,

Anand.

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #5 on: 7 Sep 2007, 04:17 pm »
You know, more people are born in August than any other month ... not much to do in Dec other than get it on  :P  Are you retired as well at 33?

The Halo C2 handles the 55hz crossover, although I often run them full-range as well.  I've tried quite a few xover points, I wouldn't say there's a best ... but 55 is where I have it right now.  I've only once or twice heard the vented 130x woofer sound strained, and that was when I was running them full-range, and dumping in loads of power.

I think they're fantastic off-axis, they have an enveloping sweet spot.  I'm quite surprised at how well the tweeter holds up off-axis, I was expecting that from the mids but not the tweet.

I've been quite happy with the D-Sonic stuff.  I've tried a ton of amps lately, and these are what I've hung onto because I think they're the most uncolored, neutral amps I've heard.  They really came alive with XLR cables too.

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #6 on: 7 Sep 2007, 06:28 pm »
You know, more people are born in August than any other month ... not much to do in Dec other than get it on  :P  Are you retired as well at 33?

The Halo C2 handles the 55hz crossover, although I often run them full-range as well.  I've tried quite a few xover points, I wouldn't say there's a best ... but 55 is where I have it right now.  I've only once or twice heard the vented 130x woofer sound strained, and that was when I was running them full-range, and dumping in loads of power.

I think they're fantastic off-axis, they have an enveloping sweet spot.  I'm quite surprised at how well the tweeter holds up off-axis, I was expecting that from the mids but not the tweet.

I've been quite happy with the D-Sonic stuff.  I've tried a ton of amps lately, and these are what I've hung onto because I think they're the most uncolored, neutral amps I've heard.  They really came alive with XLR cables too.

You're a lucky SOB to be retired at 33. I hope you didn't get injured or anything  :oops: Enjoy. And thanks for the advice. The veneer came out real sweet on your OB2X's.

Anand.

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #7 on: 7 Sep 2007, 06:45 pm »
You're a lucky SOB to be retired at 33. I hope you didn't get injured or anything  :oops: Enjoy. And thanks for the advice. The veneer came out real sweet on your OB2X's.

No injuries, but definately some luck involved :)  Sold my old business, but I'm already making plans for my next business ... I have to many interests to stay retired.

One thing else to say, noticed the OP's picture of the OB2X's in his room - not sure if that's how you still have them or if you've played with toe, but mine sound best with almost no toe-in. 

RAW

« Reply #8 on: 8 Sep 2007, 02:13 am »
The OB2X will next heading to NY for the Sept Rave.

Enjoy.

klh

« Reply #9 on: 9 Sep 2007, 05:08 am »
Glad to read you thought they handled HT well. Do you think it would work well as a CC if the enclosure was deepened to allow the overall height to be only 30" tall? Do you think building the enclosure so the front angled back (as opposed to being perpendicular to the floor) would have a negative effect on the integration of the front and back wave? The reason why I ask is having the tweeter 26" or so off the ground is quite low... if the front was angled back a touch it would more or less point the speakers directly at ear level at the main seated positions. Do you think it would be better to keep it perpendicular to the floor?

RAW

« Reply #10 on: 9 Sep 2007, 08:56 pm »
Krister.
No it will not have any effect on the sound long as spacing stays the same it will be fine.Why are you looking at tilting it back.
The vertical response is great?
But making it shorted but deaper is a yes. :thumb:

RAW

« Reply #11 on: 10 Sep 2007, 06:22 pm »
Well looks like the OB2X will not make the Rave in NY for Sept.
Looks like they are stuck in San Fran :oops:

klh

« Reply #12 on: 11 Sep 2007, 05:16 pm »
Al... that's great news to read that it wouldn't need to be tilted back. Three things are making me lean towards your set of OB speakers... great off axis response, relatively easy to build, relatively inexpensive and, as per Danny Richie very good sounding. To quote him: "[t]hese speakers are as good in the mid range as anything I have ever heard. They are effortless and transparent with a sense of ease and openness that leave me speechless. Awesome little speakers!". The fact that they have greater Xmax with lower distortion should allow them to play louder and with more force than conventional 3 speaker 3-way open baffle designs... especially consider the size of the enclosure and drivers used.

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #13 on: 11 Sep 2007, 06:02 pm »
any chance they can come to the mid-atlantic circle?   8)

doug s.

mcullinan

« Reply #14 on: 11 Sep 2007, 06:15 pm »
damit who do I have to pay to get those speakers there? I've got twofitty!
mike

RAW

« Reply #15 on: 11 Sep 2007, 06:55 pm »

doug s.

Well the Demo pair of OB2X is now on the way to NY not sure it they will make the Sept rave if not Chris will have them till the next rave in the NY area.
After that they can move on.
Anyone wanting to demo them just send me a email with your name and address.
The demo stipulations are on the forum here.

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=43710.0

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #16 on: 11 Sep 2007, 07:12 pm »

doug s.

Well the Demo pair of OB2X is now on the way to NY not sure it they will make the Sept rave if not Chris will have them till the next rave in the NY area.
After that they can move on.
Anyone wanting to demo them just send me a email with your name and address.
The demo stipulations are on the forum here.

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=43710.0

New arrival date for the OBX2 to NY is Monday 9/17/07....so states UPS tracking.

RAW

« Reply #17 on: 23 Sep 2007, 07:50 pm »
The OB2X are now in NY aa
Just an update...speakers will be at a Mini-Rave next Sunday 9/30 in Brooklyn...4-5 Ravers...apartment - tube equipment.

Next "Main" Rave is set for Oct.27th
« Last Edit: 24 Sep 2007, 02:19 am by RAW »

mjosef

« Reply #18 on: 5 Oct 2007, 03:21 am »

I have been playing the OBX2 with both SS and tube amps.
Currently I am running it with a Jolida 102b integrated and getting pretty good sound levels in my room(less than 11X14x10). Nice deep soundstage, good bass, even better mid-bass and very extended upper frequencies. With older (mid 80's) cds the upper frequencies can be too much...but with good recordings its very very good...I have played Jazz, 70's rock, 90's techno/electronica, classical, reggae(dub) and now blues...small jazz combos and chamber music is a delight, this is where these speakers shine...tight and fast.
10-15 watts of the Jolida 102b would work just fine in a small room like mines. At 2 o'clock volume I got 90-94dB from my seating position. I have the speakers about 4' from the back(front?) wall, and I am sitting about 7' from the speakers.
Previously I had the speakers powered by a Hafler P7000 (350W/8ohm) power amp...got good sound with it too, leaner than the tube amp, less bass, but an even deeper soundstage...piano sounded very real, as did stand up acoustic bass.
These speakers are unforgiving with the quality of recordings...the good ones sound good...the not-so-good ones can give you an earful of sorrows.  :lol: That's when you reach for the tone controls that aren't there anymore.
I hope to try my main amp, Response Audio 3205 Signature, on it plus an Exposure 2010 (50watts) in the next couple days.
My main source is a Cambridge Audio 540 cd player. My regular speakers are VMPS RM1s.

mjosef

« Reply #19 on: 16 Oct 2007, 02:43 am »
Update:
The OB2X will be making its way to the next NYRave via NYRaver GoldLizsts. He will be picking up the speakers tomorrow, Tuesday 16th. The Rave is on the 27th.
I am not sure how many hours the speakers has seen, but I would swear that the sound changed for the better suddenly one day last week...very strange. The bass and mid range improved a lot during my demo period, and...taaadaaa the upper frequencies smoothed out considerable...or maybe I just got used to the sound?
Just this evening, a friend dropped by and thought my speakers were playing...he was surprised when I told him the much smaller OB2X was the ones playing...these speakers are surprisingly good for their size.
First time I have had an OB type speaker in my system...and I like the soundstage it throws...impressive.
Pair them with a sub for the two lower octaves and one may just have the best of both worlds, open airy mid/uppers with nice solid bass.

Equipment: Cambridge Azur540C--->Odyssey Tempest---->Response Audio Signature 3205--->OB2X
Grovers ICs.