Dave's Cables Interconnect Cable Tour (New Tour With Speaker Cables: Page 10)

ZLS

Re: Dave's Cables Interconnect Cable Tour
« Reply #80 on: 1 Oct 2013, 10:23 pm »
                                                            This is another review of Dave's IC's.

This review mirror's Randy's, especially concerning the DD cable. 
    In my system, the best term I can use to describe it is, "listenable" 
    I did not care whether or not is was the most accurate,
    I did not care whether it introduced some sort of distortion,
    Once it went into my system it did not come out.
    The other cables were good,
    The DD was great. 
    I was not surprised that it revealed detail; silver is known for this.
    What really surprised me was the beautiful tone it allowed to come through.
    It does not sound like any silver cable I have ever heard. 
    All of Dave's cables have a very open sound, the DD is no exception. 

Dave, you have a winner and new champion. 

mjosef

« Reply #81 on: 2 Oct 2013, 03:37 am »
Sorry for the delay in submitting my final impressions, got caught up in 'stuff'...

I actually forgot about critically looking for differences (for the most part)between Dave's cables and some of the cables I have on hand. I popped them in one at a time between the digital source and the pre. and thought they all sounded quite nice. I liked the DD best, but this is with the orientation against the direction indicated on the DD, everything sounded much more 3D, image height was higher, soundstage depth was deeper and wider...at 10 minutes in, on the Miles 'Calypso Frelimo' the percussive bells/triangle/hi-hats was surreal, popping out of the background conveying a tangible sense of the instruments floating around the room. 
I zoned out just listening to a variety of musical genres over the course of 4-5 days.

Buy the DD if you can swing it, if not the D2 is a worthy runnerup, similar tonality but missing the subtle nuances that separates the exceptional from the very good.
Job well done Dave.  :thumb:

Since I biamp it was difficult to try more than 1 cable pair at a time. My bass amp is balanced inputs only, crossed over(under) @ 340Hz.
Yamaha SACD > Cat SL1 pre > Marchand XO @250Hz^ > Response Audio 3205S > VMPS RM1 mid/hi drivers. And Pre 2nd output > Crown xti 1002 @350Hz > VMPS RM1 dual 8" woofers.

DaveC113

• Facilitator
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #82 on: 2 Oct 2013, 04:12 am »
@ZLS, thank you for the review and I'm happy you liked the DD cable. Your review hit the nail on the head, that's exactly how I feel about the cable myself. It's a very unique cable, the Duelund wire is unlike any silver wire I've tried out, and I have experimented with quite a few. I sometimes think the D2 might be more accurate, and UPOCC silver is more accurate still, but the Duelund cable just sounds really good. It does everything right plus a little bit.  :) 

@mjosef, I will echo what I said to ZLS, thank you and again I'm really happy the DD worked out so well for you too. I was actually expecting the D2 to be folks' top choice closer to 50% of the time, so that's good feedback that the DD is coming out on top most of the time. In my system it's more of a toss up, I like one of each.  :)

Also, interesting on running the DD in the opposite direction as the cables' construction is not directional. So, if you prefer them in the reverse direction you would need to change orientation every few hundred hours of playing time as the dialectric breaks into being run in the opposite direction. What you are hearing is the reaction of the dialectric... I will have to try it out sometime and see.

And I know the DD isn't exactly inexpensive, but it is made with $210 worth of Duelund wire, $45 in ground wire and $150 in RCAs. But on the upside, it is a bargain compared to more expensive cables   :D ...and I would put the DD up against any cable out there regardless of price. 

jbtrio

« Reply #83 on: 2 Oct 2013, 12:56 pm »
Ok, sorry it's been so long. I wanted the put 500 hours on my DD cables.Plus wanted to put some hours on my new amps, which needed break in.

I didn't try the D1's only the D2 and DD. The D2 are a very good cable, fast, detailed, linear, with good transparency. Tonal balance is nice and be a good fit in a system on the warmer side of neutral.

The DD were my favorite. They are quiet, smooth, with a beautiful tonal balance. Before break in the midrange was a little forward but are now nicely balanced. They have very good detail but in a musically natural way.

The built quality is excellent. Compared to my Gabriel Gold reflections they aren't as good. The GG have even more naturalness and ease but they cost much, much more!

Dave's cables are an excellent value and I liked them so much I bought a pair.

Again, sorry it took so long for the write up.

Joe

maxima95

« Reply #84 on: 2 Oct 2013, 11:05 pm »
Today at 03:37 am

"I actually forgot about critically looking for differences (for the most part)between Dave's cables and some of the cables I have on hand. I popped them in one at a time between the digital source and the pre. and thought they all sounded quite nice. I liked the DD best, but this is with the orientation against the direction indicated on the DD, everything sounded much more 3D, image height was higher, soundstage depth was deeper and wider...at 10 minutes in, on the Miles 'Calypso Frelimo' the percussive bells/triangle/hi-hats was surreal, popping out of the background conveying a tangible sense of the instruments floating around the room."

mjosef - I have a set of D2s with these RCAs: http://www.partsconnexion.com/product22663.html.  Having read the above paragraph from your post, I reversed the orientation of my D2s between the amp and preamp from the direction indicated, and achieved many of the same results you mention. 

I now wonder how long they will sound this way?  In a week or two will I need to change the orientation again?  If the construction is identical at both ends that may well be the case. Perhaps Dave has a view on this.  Thanks for the idea.

DaveC113

• Facilitator
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #85 on: 3 Oct 2013, 01:13 am »
Today at 03:37 am

"I actually forgot about critically looking for differences (for the most part)between Dave's cables and some of the cables I have on hand. I popped them in one at a time between the digital source and the pre. and thought they all sounded quite nice. I liked the DD best, but this is with the orientation against the direction indicated on the DD, everything sounded much more 3D, image height was higher, soundstage depth was deeper and wider...at 10 minutes in, on the Miles 'Calypso Frelimo' the percussive bells/triangle/hi-hats was surreal, popping out of the background conveying a tangible sense of the instruments floating around the room."

mjosef - I have a set of D2s with these RCAs: http://www.partsconnexion.com/product22663.html.  Having read the above paragraph from your post, I reversed the orientation of my D2s between the amp and preamp from the direction indicated, and achieved many of the same results you mention. 

I now wonder how long they will sound this way?  In a week or two will I need to change the orientation again?  If the construction is identical at both ends that may well be the case. Perhaps Dave has a view on this.  Thanks for the idea.

Hi maxima95,

I wrote a bit about it in my last post...  I have not tried reversing the direction, but the cables are symmetrical.

"Also, interesting on running the DD in the opposite direction as the cables' construction is not directional. So, if you prefer them in the reverse direction you would need to change orientation every few hundred hours of playing time as the dialectric breaks into being run in the opposite direction. What you are hearing is the reaction of the dialectric... I will have to try it out sometime and see."

Beyond that, I have no explanation for what is going on.

maxima95

« Reply #86 on: 3 Oct 2013, 01:38 am »
Dave - Thanks for responding (again).  I missed your post with the information in it.

It will be interesting to see how long it will take before I feel the need to reverse them.

Occam

« Reply #87 on: 3 Oct 2013, 02:13 am »
The late, great Bob Crump (despite his deviant enjoyment of cilantro) was the first, to my knowledge, to discuss the inherent directionality of wire and cable.
Empirically, directionality doesn't hasn't changed with years or use, or weeks of burn-in on a Dharma device.
« Last Edit: 3 Oct 2013, 11:41 am by Occam »

Ric Schultz

« Reply #88 on: 4 Oct 2013, 09:21 pm »
Directionality of wire has been known for at least 20 years.  Wonder Wire came with one end bent so you would know which way to use it.  All wires, whether single wire or stranded sound different listened to each direction.  I have been playing with the Neotech litz braided wire since it first arrived.  It is super.  However, it sounds much better in one direction.  My own interconnect (which I might produce to sell....of course, Dave can copy my idea) uses two 20 gauge wires for hot and two 20 gauge wires for return.  The hot and return are in the opposite direction for best sound.  All four braided wires are tied together (both hots together and both returns together) with cotton string every inch and a quarter?.  This damps the cable and makes a serious improvement on the sound.  This ugly centipede has been my reference wire for over a year.

DaveC113

• Facilitator
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #89 on: 5 Oct 2013, 01:15 am »
Thanks for your comments Occam and Ric, I am happy to have such experienced people add to my thread.

I have tried 2 strands of 20g for the return, the differences between that wire and the conventional wire are slight. Also, heavier gauge grounds produces less noise.

I will experiment with directionality for sure!

Nick B

« Reply #90 on: 23 Oct 2013, 02:51 am »
Hi Dave,
Just curious as to who has the cables or is the tour done?
Nick

genjamon

« Reply #91 on: 23 Oct 2013, 04:02 am »
I have a tour set that just arrived today. Didn't have a chance this evening for a real listening session, but the DD's were sounding pretty good when I swapped them in briefly after work.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #92 on: 23 Oct 2013, 12:53 pm »
  Have a pair of DD and D2 will reverses and report back. The DD has the same break in character as the Duelund caps so far. Sounding a bit dark and all midrange. Took 750 hours or so to fully settle. Almost gave up. Never give up.
   If the cables are not designed to be used in one direction only it is prudent to try both ways. I always thought wire was not directional until broken in one way. Then it is directional. Willing to learn something new.

charles

maxima95

« Reply #93 on: 23 Oct 2013, 03:01 pm »
I wonder how directionality relates to burn-in. 

If something is run in for several hundred hours and then reversed, does it need several hundred hours in the new direction before concluding which orientation is "better?"

DaveC113

• Facilitator
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #94 on: 23 Oct 2013, 04:50 pm »
Hi Nick,

Currently BobRex and genjamon have the cables. fridays should post his impressions soon. We're getting there...  :green:

Thanks to everyone for their patience, I know it's going to take while to get the cables to everyone. I also appreciate the feedback!

fridays

« Reply #95 on: 23 Oct 2013, 06:04 pm »
All

While listening to Johnny Cash's The Man Comes Around and having goosebumps, I decided to purchase the DD cables
Not much of a review as far as reviews go but connecting with the music is what I'm after
Highly recommended, I'm sure there are better cables but at this Price I doubt that

Thanks

DaveC113

• Facilitator
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #96 on: 23 Oct 2013, 08:00 pm »
All

While listening to Johnny Cash's The Man Comes Around and having goosebumps, I decided to purchase the DD cables
Not much of a review as far as reviews go but connecting with the music is what I'm after
Highly recommended, I'm sure there are better cables but at this Price I doubt that

Thanks

:lol:   Lol, I don't know about that.  :wink:

Thanks for your comments and I'm very happy the DD cable worked for you.

fridays

« Reply #97 on: 24 Oct 2013, 01:29 am »
What I meant to say is there may be better cables out there at 5 6 7 times the price, and at this price they are a steal love em

genjamon

« Reply #98 on: 26 Oct 2013, 05:01 pm »
I just got done with an all-morning listening session, switching between the DD, D2, D1, and my current Sweet Spot Reveal cables (made by Sonny here on Audiocircle).  The SSR bested Morrow Audio level 2 and AntiCable interconnects to give you all more common points of reference.  I'd say the strengths of the SSR are plenty of body and tonal nuances/shading that make music really come alive in my system, with enough detail and microdynamics to clearly separate instruments and make them seem real and emotional.

The D1 was pretty good, had about the same tonal balance as the SSR, which is good, but smeared sounds a bit more and didn't quite get there in resolution or microdynamics.

I found the DD and D2 to have significantly more separation of instruments and, delineation of vocals, etc than the SSR.  The SSR's had a bit less clearly spatially defined vocals, and music with a lot of instruments smeared together just a bit compared with these two.

However, I found the D2 to be a little too tonally white washed and tipped up compared with the SSR.  It was a bit tipped up compared with the D1 as well.  I found it articulate in terms of detail, but lost a significant amount of engagement with the music when using the D2.  I just couldn't connect with the raw emotion of the performance.  I also found it tipped up a bit tonally, and not at all something I need in my system. 

The DD seemed not quite to equal the SSR in the area of tonal shading and emotional engagement.  However, I think what I was hearing was that the slight smearing of the SSR was probably contributing to a bit more body and tonal shadings - probably an artificial effect.  This made a few songs more engaging with the SSR, but on the whole probably isn't something to embrace.  On the DD, I heard enough of the tonal shading that I was still really connecting emotionally, but increased delineation of instruments on complex pieces and increased delineation/localization of voices and instruments on smaller group performances.  I also thought the tonal balance was just right on the DD.  These characteristics are similar to what I experienced going all-silver with my internal speaker cabling to go along with my silver speaker cables.

I'm going back and forth about whether to order two sets of DD, or to send my SSR's back to Tuan (Sonny) to swap the cheapo connectors out for high end Furutechs, one of each, or both.  There's only one set of DD on the tour, so it would be great to hear what a full run of them would do in my system.

Thanks for the ability to try these out in my home, Dave!  The only way to really listen to cables is to be able to swap them in and out in real-time in your own system with music you know well.

My system:
Tekton Lore speakers (fully upgraded crossovers, all-silver internal wiring), Clear Day shotgun speaker cables (high gauge silver)
Mac Mini source (2010, Audirvana, tweaks to operating system, SSD, 8BG RAM),
dB Audio Tranquility DAC (with latest gold-level upgrade),
TRL Dude preamp,
NCore 400 monoblock amps (with top level Cardas XLR to RCA adapter for RCA input),
dual subs in distributed array and with EQ for fairly flat bass down to 20Hz at listening position.
Significant GIK room treatment (absorption on front wall and tritraps to the ceiling in the corners, diffusion at first reflection points)

DaveC113

• Facilitator
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #99 on: 26 Oct 2013, 05:47 pm »
Thanks for the review gengamon, I appreciate it!

Usually there is a price to pay for richness, body and tonal shading in the form of reduced resolution, which you mentioned in your review... the Duelund wire is unique in providing a lot of resolution and detail while also producing a nice tonal balance and harmonic richness. Personally, I do not like the extra body, warmth, bloom and richness typical of copper interconnects, it obscures too much information. UPOCC copper sounds much "cleaner" and the Neotech litz type wire I use reduces this effect even more. UPOCC silver is the "cleanest" wire I have used and probably the most neutral, but it doesn't sound as good as the Duelund silver wire.