Product Suggestion - Grungebuster Male AC Plug gasket/washer

HumanMedia

Not sure if you are aware of this thread over at AA.

http://www.audioasylum.com/audio/tweaks/messages/16/165450.html

People are wrapping the base of the male power plug prongs with teflon plumbers tape which reduces vibration into/out of power cables.

What would even better would be a grungebuster washer the diameter of an USA AC plug with holes for the active, neutral and ground prongs cut out. The thickness of the gasket washer shouldnt be too thick to stop hospital grade plugs from 'locking' but this would be far more effective than the teflon tape tweak.

I'd definitely be interested.  Anyone else?

Herbie

• Industry Contributor
    • Herbie's Audio Lab
Re: Product Suggestion - Grungebuster Male AC Plug gasket/washer
« Reply #1 on: 24 Sep 2009, 05:44 am »
It's just as well or better to run a little bead of Permatex Blue RTV Silicone Gasket Maker around the base of each prong. The plug housing in the linked picture can be disassembled. Damping the plug from inside the housing with Permatex will accomplish more potential benefit, providing a greater amount of sonically neutral vibration damping. (The plug receptacle in the wall can be damped sparingly, also.)

As far as a product suggestion for a grungebuster gasket, this idea has been kicked around off-and-on for several years now. Some customers have made gaskets with thin grungebuster material, with mixed results. Others have used grungebuster Dots to fit inside the prongs along with washers that fit around the outside of the prongs, again with mixed results. Plugs come in different shapes and sizes, and having a die-cut product to fit most or all plugs might not be practical considering a probable small demand and iffy results. Herbie's grungebuster material is best suited as a decoupling interface and plugs must couple in order to work.

I think there's a product to be invented though, and the idea is surely worth exploring further.

Steve
Herbie's Audio Lab
« Last Edit: 23 Aug 2010, 01:40 am by Herbie »

Brown

Mortite or expoxy has given me VG results. Compressed wool stuffed in the plug IMO was the winner. MCMASTERCARR.COM for the wool.