Speaker rec's??

jrg4785

Speaker rec's??
« on: 26 Apr 2010, 03:55 pm »
Hey all,

I've been a happy lurker and occasional poster here for awhile.  I wonder if you could provide some speaker recommendations? 

My Dad has a pair of DCM TimeWindow 1's that recently stopped working.  I'd like to replace them for him as a surprise gift.  Any recommendations on speakers in the sub $400 range that would come close or beat the old Timewindow sound (both quality and style...)?  I know this is tough question and of course auditioning is usually preferred.   But I'd like this to be a surprise.  If it doesn't work out to his liking, the dollars are small enough that it'll be OK to sell them.  Good condition used are definitely OK.  He's using a PC-->Apple TV-->Peachtree Nova and the room is ~13x13.

any thoughts?? 

many thanks.

shawnbaden

Re: Speaker rec's??
« Reply #1 on: 26 Apr 2010, 04:08 pm »
I have not heard any DCM TimeWindow speakers so I'm not familiar with their sound.  However, somewhere in my mind I have Meadowlark associated with the TimeWindow series (i.e. of similar sound).  I sold a pair of Meadowlark Kestrels a couple years ago for $400.  I don't see any regular Kestrels on AudiogoN but there's a pair of Shearwaters for $500.  The Kestrels had a wonderful midrange with excellent vocals and were overall very polite, non-fatiguing speakers.

There are a couple listings on eBay for TimeWindow 1As.  Have you considered just getting him another pair?

jrg4785

« Reply #2 on: 26 Apr 2010, 04:36 pm »
thanks, Shawn.  yes, that's definitely an option.  In fact, I lost an auction on eBay this am for a pair that looked to be in real nice condition.  I'm definitely going to investigate the two pairs on eBay now.  The pair in FL looks better than the '87 ones. 

Delta Wave

« Reply #3 on: 26 Apr 2010, 04:57 pm »
Those were very good sounding speakers. Why don't you just have them repaired, re-foamed...etc?

jrg4785

« Reply #4 on: 26 Apr 2010, 05:08 pm »
It's a good thought and I looked into it a bit.  It's only one of the midrange drivers that is broken.  Unfortunately, the drivers they used are no longer made.  Perhaps there is a good substitute?  Would you then have to replace all the midrange drivers?  (They're are two on each speaker.)  Also the drivers are glued into the cabinets and it appeared pretty tough.  Unfortunately, we're not too DIY savvy.   It may make sense to try anyway.  He could always use them in another room or as surrounds.  I guess it depends on cost/difficulty of repair versus what can be purchased?

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #5 on: 26 Apr 2010, 06:27 pm »
The Time Windows were a great speaker in its time.  For $400 I woud consider a Pair of PSB B25's.

http://stereophile.com/standloudspeakers/1204psb/

http://www.saturdayaudio.com/picturepages/image_specials_march.htm

Or the newer version the PSB Image B-6's-

http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=PBIMB6

However, I would consider spending a little more and move up to the PSB T-45's or T-55's because with a Bookshelf speaker yu will have to spend another $100 on decent speaker stands.

I would also consider a pair of NHT Classic 2's.