New guy from SE Michigan

Reynolds853

New guy from SE Michigan
« on: 25 Nov 2020, 12:17 am »
I was looking to purchase some used gear and found this group.  Posted my (simple) system and now on to my intro.

First experience with hi-fi was when a "grown-up" neighbor purchased a set of Altec Model 19s and blew my mind.  Started riding my bicycle to the local audio store (I was about 10) where I was introduced to Klipschhorns.  There were no brains left to blow out after the Altecs, frankly.  A couple years later, a friend started building speakers as a hobby and pulled me in.  I relish the days of the local Heathkit store and RadioShack.  Good times.  My first (real) component was a Bogen tube integrated gifted from one of my dad's friends.  Later in life, I stumbled into a pair of Belle Klipsch for $500 but never was able to enjoy them in my tiny house.  Sold them for a pair of B&W CM2's that I still use almost 20 years later.  Finally, about 16 years ago, I finally purchased some "serious" audio gear by getting a Musical Fidelity x-150, x-ray CD and tube stage, + B&W 805s speakers.  Moved to a new house a year later and had the luxury of an unfinished basement to build a listening room from scratch.  Yeah!  Fast forward several years when I stumble across a killer deal on a used Musial Fidelity M6500 (500w beast).  Then I upgraded to some 804 d3's that could handle the amp.  I think I am in the ballpark of my destination... until I get the itch and mix things up again.  So the cycle continues...

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: New guy from SE Michigan
« Reply #1 on: 25 Nov 2020, 12:39 am »
Welcome

VinceT

« Reply #2 on: 25 Nov 2020, 03:17 am »
Looks like a nice space, much better listening to that system than watching our beloved Lions on Thanksgiving  :duh:

Welcome  :thumb:

EdRo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #3 on: 25 Nov 2020, 12:19 pm »
AC is a great place to meet like-minded folks, and to learn!!! Welcome to this site. Great to see another S.E. Michigander!!!

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #4 on: 25 Nov 2020, 01:11 pm »
Welcome! from another Michigander who also has a dedicated listening room.

whell

« Reply #5 on: 25 Nov 2020, 02:38 pm »
Welcome from another Michigander!

rlal

« Reply #6 on: 25 Nov 2020, 03:26 pm »
Welcome.
You have a nice listening room and looks like you have taken lot of care on acoustics.
Very good.

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #7 on: 25 Nov 2020, 03:30 pm »
Greetings & Welcome to AC Reynolds   :thumb:

Phil A

« Reply #8 on: 25 Nov 2020, 11:29 pm »
Welcome!

jtcf

« Reply #9 on: 26 Nov 2020, 12:30 am »
Nice room!And hello from northern Michigan!

jd3

« Reply #10 on: 26 Nov 2020, 01:34 am »
Another welcome from northern Michigan!

Big Red Machine

« Reply #11 on: 26 Nov 2020, 03:26 am »
AC is a great place to meet like-minded folks, and to learn!!! Welcome to this site. Great to see another S.E. Michigander!!!

Ed!!! Hey.

fridays

« Reply #12 on: 26 Nov 2020, 03:32 am »
Looks like a nice room with high ceilings

fjhunt

« Reply #13 on: 30 Nov 2020, 05:29 pm »
Nice looking room!  I'm considering building a dedicated listening room in my unfinished basement. Currently I'm using a section of the basement and my area is open on one-side and I have hung Ikea comforters on the concrete walls.

otto802

« Reply #14 on: 30 Nov 2020, 06:28 pm »
Welcome from TC!

Reynolds853

« Reply #15 on: 3 Dec 2020, 10:48 pm »
Thanks for the kind words and welcome!

I have some details about the room on my "system" page but I was lucky to have to build a office for myself when I moved to my house 15 years ago.  What better shape than the "golden ratio?"  The size was ultimately determined by the height of the ceiling, knowing that I wanted that to be as high as possible.  I did not finish the ceiling because that would give me another 10" and the joists would provide a surface that was not flat. It all worked out great.  I fell lucky that I could start from scratch.  The diffuser (front center) is 1/8 curved panel with Owens 703/705 compressed fiberglass so it does no ring and it acts as a bass trap.  The bass traps in the corners are freestanding so I can adjust them and are 4" deep.    It has the same impact as something like 30" of standard insulation.  First reflection on the walls are covered by DYI panels as well. The back of the room is a set of laddered bookshelves.  The amps, digital and non-audio circuits are all dedicated and a short run to the breaker box just beyond one of the walls.  I used fire-grade drywall to stiffen the walls.  One wall is tied to the adjacent cement wall, the opposite wall is built on 6" studs.  The short walls are standard studs because I wanted some bass to be able to escape into the rest of the basement.  Yada yada.  I'm from the school of thought that you should spend at much time/effort on the room as your system... but that is hard to do if is truly a shared space. 

Lastly, I just upgraded my streamer from an Auralic Mini to the G1 (purchased from a member here).  I think I'm done for a while...

From Michigan, check out Ice Age Audio cables from Travers City.  Killer cost/quality ratio on power cables.  I have not tried his interconnects.