Lumin U1 mini with LPS

Shakeydeal

Lumin U1 mini with LPS
« on: 6 Feb 2020, 04:05 pm »
Does anyone have any experience with a Lumin U1 mini with outboard linear power supply like the Sbooster or equivalent? Or any other streamer that doesn't have an onboard DAC?

Shakey

DavidS

Re: Lumin U1 mini with LPS
« Reply #1 on: 6 Feb 2020, 04:21 pm »
I have been using one as my main source since about April last year.  Run Roon with it which I like a little better than the Lumin app and Tidal but both pretty good.  Use an old level 4 Lampizator with it but has also worked good with an Exogal dac I have.  Have done the Sbooster upgrade - pretty straightforward and good sound improvement. 

I also find the online support excellent, plus purchased it through local audio shop and they have been excellent to deal with as well - staying in touch on a number of occasions.  One piece of gear in the last year I haven't really looked to replace (along with the lamp dac and Don Sachs preamp) - replaced a micro rendu in my system which was excellent as well. 

If you have specific questions let me know and will try to answer them.

David

Kray

« Reply #2 on: 18 Mar 2020, 07:18 am »
I have been using one as my main source since about April last year.  Run Roon with it which I like a little better than the Lumin app and Tidal but both pretty good.  Use an old level 4 Lampizator with it but has also worked good with an Exogal dac I have.  Have done the Sbooster upgrade - pretty straightforward and good sound improvement. 

I also find the online support excellent, plus purchased it through local audio shop and they have been excellent to deal with as well - staying in touch on a number of occasions.  One piece of gear in the last year I haven't really looked to replace (along with the lamp dac and Don Sachs preamp) - replaced a micro rendu in my system which was excellent as well. 

If you have specific questions let me know and will try to answer them.

David

Debating upgrading to the sbooster for my Lumin u1 Mini. Really enjoying it. Was the difference that noticeable?

Have to agree. Lumin has great support and one of their engineers is on almost every forum imaginable answering questions

JackD

« Reply #3 on: 20 Mar 2020, 01:21 am »
Upgrading the internal SMPS with the Sbooster makes a significant improvement to any of the Lumin's with an internal supply.

Kray

« Reply #4 on: 20 Mar 2020, 03:47 am »
Upgrading the internal SMPS with the Sbooster makes a significant improvement to any of the Lumin's with an internal supply.

Thanks for the response. Guess that will be my next purchase  :beer:

terryakhan

« Reply #5 on: 19 May 2020, 03:41 pm »
Yes, it does improve with the Sbooster, after the mod kit is fitted on the Mini it will now allow you to plug in different PSU's, I prefer the sound out of the HDplex 200.
I think just the mod kit can be purchased from Upscale Audio, something to bear in mind is removing the IEC socket out of the Mini the red power wire must be cut, so pay attention how you do this, in case you need to return the Mini in it's original form.

smoorenc

« Reply #6 on: 7 Apr 2021, 11:13 am »
I just replaced my Sonore Micro Rendu with Lumin U1 Mini. I was interested in setting up mine with a LPS. Is it a 12V 2A LPS that is required?

Kray

« Reply #7 on: 7 Apr 2021, 07:51 pm »
I just replaced my Sonore Micro Rendu with Lumin U1 Mini. I was interested in setting up mine with a LPS. Is it a 12V 2A LPS that is required?

Yep. U1 Mini uses the 12v/2a (or anything between 2 to 3a, but definitely 12v)