VH Audio PULSAR interconnects

truant

« on: 5 Nov 2004, 02:18 am »
After some deliberation I ordered two pair of PULSAR interconnects last week. I've been using Harmonic Technology Truthlink Silvers(Precision Links before that) for the last six months and thought they would be with me for a long time. But without really knowing why I put them up for sale wanting to try something new. I consider SIGNAL cables and the CHIMERA Advantage ICs. The VH cables seemed to offer the most for the money and the word on the web is good.
 The PULSARS came yesterday evening and still cold from the UPS truck they sounded better to me than the HT cables. They are a very light cable and impressed me with their construction. The connectors offer a very snug fit.
  They sound very different from my HT cables. Less forward but more detailed. The first thought I had was that I was hearing the music from the inside out rather than from outside in. Details I hadn't heard before were suddenly very distinct.
The sound was softer and smoother and less in my face than I have been used to and my first thought was that the music was veiled but I continued to hear new things in some very familiar music. There was more separation between instruments which seemed right somehow. I liked the sense of more space in the music that I think I have been missing with the Truthlinks.
  I'm using the past tense because I haven't listen to anything yet today but wanted to get some iitial impressions out from last night  because these cables seem to be getting some attention right now and I want to get in my two cents because they deserve it. They seem like something special.
  Chris is great to deal with and if you are in the market for cables give these a try. I'll update as the cable break in. I can't wait to hear these once they come into their own.
Associated equipment:
Norh ACA 2b preamplifier
IRD monoblock amps
Sony 9000ES
Nork Prism 6.1 loudspeakers
Harmonic Tech Pro-11 spkr cable

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #1 on: 5 Nov 2004, 02:32 am »
Which version of the Pulsars did you order?

At the very least you want the cryo'd version.  

George

truant

« Reply #2 on: 5 Nov 2004, 05:58 pm »
Just the basic version w/gold bullets. I thought about the cryo'd and other connectors but haven't researched that much so thought I'd start with the standard ICs so I'd have some measuring stick should I upgrade in the future. Plus I need to leave some room in my audio budget for power cords. Now that I know how much I like these cords and how great Chris is to deal with upgrading seems certain. It's just a matter of when.

byteme

« Reply #3 on: 5 Nov 2004, 07:44 pm »
My cryo'd Pulsar w/ Silver nextgens arrived yesterday and is breaking in while I await the return of my tubedac.  Everything you've heard about how Chris is to deal with has been understated.  He's really been awesome!

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #4 on: 5 Nov 2004, 08:42 pm »
Byteme,

I just received my cryo'd Silver NextGen Pulsar as well.

I have tried ALL other Pulsar versions and this is the last one!

For me, the best version so far has been the cryo'd Silver Eichmann.

After I get 200-300 hours on the new one, I will do this final comparison and decide which I like better.

Frankly, even the plain cryo'd version has bettered ic's costing up to and over $1000 in my system.

George

byteme

« Reply #5 on: 5 Nov 2004, 09:34 pm »
George,

I had 4 digital ICs about a month ago, Aural Thrills active (mine), Ridge Street MSE II, Acoustic Zen Silver Byte and the Pulsar (from Satfrat & Loanwolf) and the Pulsar was the better of the bunch.  Very similar to the Aural Thrills.  That version of the pulsar had standard bullet plugs so I'm pretty confident the silver Nextgens will bring it to the next level.

It's on a 24/7 burn in right now between my DVD player and pre/pro.  I'm sure I'll post something once the Tubedac is back!

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #6 on: 5 Nov 2004, 10:33 pm »
Just put in the Silver NextGen (with less than 50 hrs on it) and it is an improvement over the Silver Eichmann (fully burned in) it replaced.

As predicited, there is an increase in transparency (which means more detail) and the bass is tighter and more dynamic.

Looks like I know which version I am keeping...

George

mca

« Reply #7 on: 6 Nov 2004, 01:34 am »
Just curious as to build wise what makes the Silver NextGen better than the Silver Eichmann?

vpolineni

« Reply #8 on: 6 Nov 2004, 03:04 am »
Quote from: zybar
Just put in the Silver NextGen (with less than 50 hrs on it) and it is an improvement over the Silver Eichmann (fully burned in) it replaced.

As predicited, there is an increase in transparency (which means more detail) and the bass is tighter and more dynamic.

George

George,  
  I thought your system is fully balanced.  Where are you using these single ended interconnects?

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #9 on: 6 Nov 2004, 03:16 am »
transport and dac.

dac, preamp, and amps are fully balanced.

Gerge

Double Ugly

« Reply #10 on: 6 Nov 2004, 03:20 am »

Does that include the Placette active, or only the Bent?

DU

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #11 on: 6 Nov 2004, 03:28 am »
Quote from: Double Ugly

Does that include the Placette active, or only the Bent?

DU

Bent.

The Placette active I am borrowing is single ended only.

I am using adapters so I can still use my balanced Pulsar ic's.

George

Sa-dono

« Reply #12 on: 6 Nov 2004, 03:32 am »

George

I'm glad to hear the silver nextgen connectors are working out for you. They really are stellar. :D

bubba966

« Reply #13 on: 6 Nov 2004, 04:45 am »
Quote from: mca
Just curious as to build wise what makes the Silver NextGen better than the Silver Eichmann?

I wouldn't mind knowing as well.

I do have a pair of identically constructed digital with the only difference being the plugs. One's got Silver Eichmann's, the other's got Silver NextGen's.

I've not played with the two of them at the same time yet. Actually, the NextGen plugged cable hasn't even been put into my system yet... :oops:

john4618

« Reply #14 on: 6 Nov 2004, 07:30 am »

Seems like the performance should be near identical ???

I'm trying to decide which RCA connectors to get with my Pulsar interconnects.

I went to Eichmann's and WBT's sites where I read everything and downloaded spec sheets and it appears to me that the core design and materials used for both the Bullets and Nextgens are near identical, so it therefore seems logical that the performance of these two are near identical ???

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #15 on: 6 Nov 2004, 12:58 pm »
Quote from: john4618

I went to Eichmann's and WBT's sites where I read everything and downloaded spec sheets and it appears to me that the core design and materials used for both the Bullets and Nextgens are near identical, so it therefore seems logical that the performance of these two are near identical ???

As I said above, the performance is not identical.  The Silver Eichmanns are very good, but the Silver NextGen is better.

George

ChrisVH

• Industry Participant
    • http://www.vhaudio.com
« Reply #16 on: 6 Nov 2004, 04:58 pm »
Quote from: john4618

Perhaps I can add my .01 here. The NEXTGENS and Bullets are both great plugs, but they do use different materials. Whereas the Bullets use Tellurium copper (alloy) for the conductor, the Nextgens use pure copper. The Bullets use silver for the pins, whereas the NEXGENS are plated with platinum over silver. On a side note, the platinum plating makes these an absolute BEAR to solder, and special preparations have to be made. Also, the dielectric used are different.

I think most people will find the differences subtle but noticeable between these plugs, with system synergy again being a key factor. The fact that the NEXTGENS "lock" is a cool feature, IMHO.

Hope this helped...

truant

« Reply #17 on: 8 Nov 2004, 02:55 am »
What experience have you all had matching power & speaker cables with the Pulsars?

ChrisVH

• Industry Participant
    • http://www.vhaudio.com
Re: VH Audio PULSAR interconnects
« Reply #18 on: 8 Nov 2004, 05:48 pm »
Quote from: truant
What experience have you all had matching power & speaker cables with the Pulsars?

I am not a big believer in matching IC's, PC's, and speaker cables from one manufacturer. Just my own experience. The reason is that the components themselves will dictate the best combo of cabling, IMHO. In the end if all cables are great in one person's system they may not be to someone else's liking even if they have the SAME components, much less different components. Best thing is to try and listen for yourself.