Comparison: Ridge Street Poeima's & Harmonic Tech ProSil

sheadlee

This is a capsule summary of my recent experience in comparing two excellent sets of audio cabling.

[My system (for reference): Audio Research REF 1 preamp, Audio Reseach VT100mkIII amp, Newform Research 645's speakers, Linn Ikemi & Linn LP12 sources]

First, the cables I currently own: Harmonic Technology Pro Silway mkIII (XLR & RCA) interconnects, and Harmonic Technology Pro 9 speaker cables 2x2 biwire setup. These have proven to be very revealing cables (especially when compared to my previous Transparent cabling, LAT cabling, and Groneberg cabling). They provide my system with a wider & deeper soundstage, and they also exhibit good speed, frequency extension, articulation, detail, and delicacy. Also, I'm definitely getting more bass extension.

Second, thanks to a very generous offer from Robert Schult, to audition his cables, in my home: Ridge Street Audio Poeima XLR interconnects, and Ridge Street Audio Poeima speaker cables. Right up front, these are great sounding cables. They were very clean and transparent sounding, and seemingly added no artifacts. The soundstage was wide and deep, and provided good image stability and specificity, as well excellent frequency extension.  

Choosing between the two presents quite a challenge. The aural difference (to my ears) is one of seemingly slight degrees. I would probably give a small edge to the RSA Poeima's...when I switched back to the Harmonic Tech I thought I could detect just the slightest bit of grunge. The Poeima's also threw a deeper soundstage (albeit a small difference, again). I would give the bass edge to the Harmonic Tech (possibly due to the fact that the speaker cables are significantly larger). Overall, both sets of cables allowed me to forget about what I was hearing, and get completely lost in the music/performance. Which, to me, is the ultimate goal that most of us pursue.

As we are all aware, system synergy can play a part when cables are involved (as well as other components), and in my system there were no negatives to either of the cable combinations. What was my final decision? In the end, I have decided to stay with the Harmonic Tech cabling that I already own. The difference was small enough that I can't justify spending the money, for the Ridge Street cables, at this time.

However, if you are dissatisfied with your present cables, then I can wholeheartedly suggest that you audition the Ridge Street offerings. Robert Schult is a true gentleman to deal with, and he has excellent products to offer.