Portable (?) generator recommendation

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
Portable (?) generator recommendation
« on: 19 Nov 2013, 10:27 pm »
In my work we've used the smaller but VERY quiet Honda generators for some years, and they've been great.  One of our departments wants to buy this:http://www.amazon.com/Powermate-PM0601250-Portable-Generator-Electric/dp/B002CMLIFK/ref=psdc86_t2_B0081AYXC2_B002CMLIFK and I am very skeptical about the quality.  Never heard of the Subaru engine, but I was never a fan of the Coleman Powermate generators which were obscenely loud.
Whatever we get will be used as a loaner by college students, so it's gonna be beat to hell.

Any experience with this unit?  Other suggestions?

Thanks!

Bob

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
Re: Portable (?) generator recommendation
« Reply #1 on: 19 Nov 2013, 10:40 pm »
That one seems decent.
I would either pay the big bucks and get something bulletproof (Honda).
Or find a cheap deal (anything from China) and let them beat it up, and throw it away when it dies.

I've got an electric start 8,000 watt unit that has 30 hours on the clock and am very happy with it. It's a Briggs & Stratton engine with a Generac electrical unit on it.

Bob

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #2 on: 20 Nov 2013, 01:57 am »
I have a Yamaha... just as pricey as the Honda, but quieter.  Subaru cars have very strong engines.  My guess is that they are a sizeable step up from Chinese quality.

ctviggen

« Reply #3 on: 20 Nov 2013, 08:07 pm »
I bought mine the last time power went out here, and it was the only one in Home Cheapo at the time.  In fact, there were three other people waiting behind me to buy it, too!  Mine is incredibly loud.