Recommend a home insurance company

WGH

Recommend a home insurance company
« on: 20 Sep 2013, 02:23 am »
My remodel is finished and the pool finally got removed and filled in a couple of weeks ago so now I can switch to a standard insurance policy, but what company? This is my first house so I have no experience with homeowners insurance.

The house is concrete block and built in 1950 but everything else is new, from the roof to the insulation, windows, stucco, drywall, electrical, plumbing, gas pack, kitchen, bathroom, and floors.

So far I have gotten quotes from:

Auto-Owners Insurance $565
Progressive $449
Central Insurance $378

What companies do you love or hate? Since everything is new and I'm not in a flood plain or tornado alley should I just get the cheapest?

Wayne

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
Re: Recommend a home insurance company
« Reply #1 on: 22 Sep 2013, 11:29 pm »
........ should I just get the cheapest?

Please don't do that.
The true measure of an insurance company to "have your back" is when you file a claim. It would be horrible to find out they don't.
I've dealt with any of them for a couple decades with regard to auto, due to my job.
The 'cheap' companies will find a way to NOT cover your loss.

On a personal note, I've had State Farm covering my home, auto, jewelry etc... for over two decades. The times I've called in a claim, they've paid without question and in a very timely manor.

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #2 on: 22 Sep 2013, 11:47 pm »
USAA is wonderful if you have a military background, same with Armed Forces Insurance.  AFI covered a frozen pipes mess on a lake house when we let the LP gas run too low.....:banghead: :slap:

Don_S

« Reply #3 on: 23 Sep 2013, 12:16 am »
I have been with State Farm for almost forever (home, auto, umbrella, long-term care).

I only had one claim and that was a long time ago so I can't speak to any changes in "attitude".  It was for >$10K burglary in 1982.  No hassles because I had receipts and replacement value insurance. I guess that is one reason I am still a customer.

I have also had long-term care insurance with them for apx 15 years with no rate increase.  Friends who purchased policies from the State of CA ended up with major increases.  Not the same as home owners insurance but I like their style--stuck to their promised rate and the policy has better terms than the State policy.

I also like the fact that I have real bodies to talk to locally.  Both agents I have had were very professional.

WGH

« Reply #4 on: 23 Sep 2013, 12:34 am »
It looks like I will be going with Geico for both auto and home. They have affordable rates, there is a 3% bundling discount, a local office, and I'm friends with the regional V.P. (though no friends and family discount).

Wayne