Home Improvement, Renovation or ?

Mohicanrx7

Home Improvement, Renovation or ?
« on: 31 Aug 2013, 04:30 am »
Hello all AudioCircle members.

Not sure what this classifies as. I bought a house that had been raised off its foundation & had it trucked 40 miles and set on a small piece of property, while it was blocked up I formed & poured a foundation. Used complete Pex for water lines and installed a new horizontal furnace in the crawl space. Now the hard work has started......fixing all the cracks on the interior stucco walls and resurfacing the oak hardwood floors. New roof, trying to decide between metal or 30 year composite shingles. Then the painting (interior & exterior), lots of retaining walls. I sure hope this is a good deal!

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
Re: Home Improvement, Renovation or ?
« Reply #1 on: 2 Sep 2013, 02:41 pm »
Wow. Must be a nice house. Do you have pictures or videos?

ctviggen

« Reply #2 on: 2 Sep 2013, 03:21 pm »
Did you insulate the foundation when you had the foundation done?  Supposedly, that helps a lot in terms of energy efficiency.

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #3 on: 2 Sep 2013, 03:25 pm »
30 year shingles are (pro-rated) warranty but last longer.  I have 20-(or 25-)year shingles that were put on 23 years ago and still look great.  The key is proper attic ventilation, good decking, flashing and ice/water dam.    I live in the woods so my roof is largely shaded and that may be a factor on the long life of the roof.

When storms ripped the mast out of my roof or limbs wrecked my gutter and roof edge it was an easy DIY fix to replace a few shingles.  I'd speculate that damage to a metal roof would be much more noticeable and expensive to repair.  But that's just a guess on my part.

Just my .02.    :thumb:

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #4 on: 2 Sep 2013, 03:29 pm »
Do a Google search for "Rubber Shingles".  :thumb:

Mohicanrx7

« Reply #5 on: 3 Sep 2013, 10:10 pm »
Ctviggen- I did not insulate the foundation but I did put a heavy plastic down and 1/2 way up the foundation wall and sealed with a heavy duty industrial tape to keep the moisture out.

Bob in St. Louis- The house is nothing special, just a clean, we'll organized layout that fit into my budget to own a home rather than renting once I moved to Montana. I will look into the "rubber shingles".

Thunderbrick- Only reason I'm thinking about metal roofing is for fire protection. I think composite shingles look better. I have done at least 5 roofs with composite shingles and none with metal so I'm leaning towards composite.

Thanks for replies.

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #6 on: 3 Sep 2013, 11:50 pm »
Ah, that's a vote for metal roof material.  I'm guessing cedar shingles are out of the question?    :lol:

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #7 on: 4 Sep 2013, 12:00 am »
If you're in an area where fire is an issue, you may want to ignore my comment about rubber.

Rubber = Petroleum = Fuel = Fire  :o

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #8 on: 4 Sep 2013, 12:21 am »
On the plus side, if you have rubber shingles the air tankers/water bombers won't have any trouble finding your place......... :peek:

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #9 on: 4 Sep 2013, 12:25 am »
ZIIIIINNNNGGGGG  :lol:

Ericus Rex

« Reply #10 on: 4 Sep 2013, 11:06 am »
A friend of mine did the same thing.  He found an ad for a beautiful old victorian with mahogany throughout for FREE!  The catch was you had to move it yourself.  It was on the grounds of a hospital and was about to be torn down for expansion.  He thought "WOWWWEEEE!!!!!!!" but the process ended up being quite a bit of time, money and red-tape hassle...even though he eventually moved the house to a new foundation just 100 or so feet down the street.  He now has a gorgeous house but I don't think he'd do it again.