Favorite power tools for home renos?

Bizarroterl

Re: Favorite power tools for home renos?
« Reply #20 on: 17 Apr 2013, 07:35 pm »
I have the Dewalt track saw.  It's less expensive that the Festool.  The Festool is considered the Cadillac and the Dewalt is the Chevy.  I haven't used a Festool, but all the reviews I've read it is held in high regard.

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #21 on: 17 Apr 2013, 08:56 pm »
I have the Dewalt track saw.  It's less expensive that the Festool.  The Festool is considered the Cadillac and the Dewalt is the Chevy.  I haven't used a Festool, but all the reviews I've read it is held in high regard.

I have the Makita track saw. Got a reconditioned one that seems to be as good as new. Saved a couple hundred bucks. Bought the track separately.  I purchased it specifically to diy some speakers but I'm finding it very good for multiple uses in the ongoing remodeling of my house. Just built some kitchen cabinets. I have a table saw too but didn't invest in the various extensions necessary when trying to cut large sheets of plywood. If you work solo, the track saw makes difficult cuts easy.
I read many reviews before settleing  on the Makita.
http://www.amazon.com/Makita-SP6000K-2-Inch-Plunge-Circular/dp/B001MEK8WS/ref=sr_1_1?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1366231940&sr=1-1&keywords=makita+track+saw
Bought these clamps to help hold the track steady.
http://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DWS5026-TrackSaw-Track-Clamps/dp/B001J31PJM/ref=pd_cp_hi_0

django11

• Canuckistani
« Reply #22 on: 19 Apr 2013, 02:34 am »
Well I am off topic because this is not a power tool but it is awesome:  Raimondi tile leveling system.  If you have any larger tile to do this is amazing.  (I have no affiliation to the company)

geowak

« Reply #23 on: 19 Apr 2013, 02:50 am »
Milwaukee M18 FUEL Power Drill. Expensive but it's a brute.

mcgsxr

« Reply #24 on: 19 Apr 2013, 11:27 am »
Hi Mark, I could use one of those to cut a path behind the house, but I will probably hire one or more likely hire someone to do it, that's a bit more than I feel comfortable with at present. Although... maybe it's not that hard. Can you use these saws to cut an angle - like say cut off a 30 degree (from vertical) edge on a path 4-8" thick?

I'd say the saw itself is not hard to use, but is intimidating initially.  Loud, dusty, and a handful.

That said, it does not take too long to get the hang of the dynamics of the tool, and with attention paid to safety, it is simple to use.

I have done angled cuts before, when doing interlocking brick or concrete trimming.

That is a thick path though, and the blade might not get through anything beyond 4 inches thick.

I'd hire someone for work of that nature, as it might involve special blades or techniques to get done what you desire.

ctviggen

« Reply #25 on: 20 Apr 2013, 12:28 pm »

One of these track saws may be my next purchase.  I have a table saw, but it's hard to cut large pieces of wood/plywood/MDF with a table saw. 

ctviggen

« Reply #26 on: 20 Apr 2013, 12:30 pm »
Well I am off topic because this is not a power tool but it is awesome:  Raimondi tile leveling system.  If you have any larger tile to do this is amazing.  (I have no affiliation to the company)

That is amazing.  My problem with tile has always been that it ends up being uneven.  It's nice for small areas, but over large areas, the difference in tile height can be a problem.

Doublej

« Reply #27 on: 20 Apr 2013, 01:38 pm »
Does this leveling method leave visible plastic in the grout?

JohnR

« Reply #28 on: 8 May 2013, 02:19 pm »
I've learnt a few things. Safety is fairly important, and if regular trained (?) experienced users can make a mistake then just imagine how a DIYer doing the occasional renovation or speaker build will fare!

I've opted for slower working if it reduces risk. So no table saw or mitre saw for me. If I can't do it with a track saw then I can live without it.

Cordless is not (IMO) the best way to go for the home user for the most part, except for drills and drivers and tools that are really handy to be portable (flashlights, cleanup vac, some small saws, ...). I think that for the home user who isn't using tools every day and not realizing that batteries WILL need to be replaced, the cordless "systems" can be a bit of a trap. I'm loving the few Makita 10.8V tools I have now though. I'm surprised that there isn't, by now, any kind of standard for cordless tool batteries as internally, they can't be much different (for a given voltage).

Cordless seems cool but you have to be realistic about the power they can generate. I worked it out the other day, in general a 700W tool (1 HP) used continuously at full power on a 3AH 18V battery would run for just a few minutes. So batteries are good for tools that are used at part power or in an on/off manner, not for tools used full-on continuously.

My favoured brand for the home-reno/repair tool upgrades seems to have become Bosch (Blue). For corded tools that is. Everyone has their favorite, bear in mind that not all countries have the same availability and/or pricing structure.

Some manufacturers (Bosch for example) don't use the same model numbers worldwide. This can make it harder to find reviews and user experience/opinion.

My new favorite tool (as of today) is the Bosch GBH 2-28 DFV rotary hammer / drill. This thing is a beast. After struggling with a 12V cordless for years, it's time for a real drill.

sts9fan

« Reply #29 on: 8 May 2013, 03:04 pm »
Small Bosch 12v driver. It's so much better then driving screws with a big drill.
Circular saw with track system. I suck at table saws.

Bizarroterl

« Reply #30 on: 8 May 2013, 03:23 pm »
Since John mentioned safety there are 3 "tools" everyone doing home renovation should buy first - safety goggles, hearing protection, and a pack of dust masks.  I used to fight with goggles fogging up and finally bought some racquetball goggles.  I'll wear them all day and not even realize they're on.  :thumb:

JEaton

« Reply #31 on: 12 May 2013, 02:02 am »
Small Bosch 12v driver. It's so much better then driving screws with a big drill.

This. ^

The new 12V Lithium-Ion tools are incredible. Never knew what I was missing until I tried an impact driver.

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #32 on: 12 May 2013, 02:48 am »
I'd get the Makita 18V Li-Ion kit with the full size batteries (blue colored, not white) with drill, impact, sawzall, light and maybe the skill saw...

A heavy duty corded Bosch drill with handle and hammer function is also handy, I wouldn't buy the straight hammer drill unless you really need it.

I also have the Milwaukee 12V Li-Ion drill, it's great for smaller jobs. I bought it for electrical work, it's great for that and cabinet hardware.

Also, I have a Delta contractor's table saw with Biesemeyer fence, Bosch 12" chop saw, and Bosch plunge router. They all get used a lot.

sts9fan

« Reply #33 on: 12 May 2013, 02:53 am »
This. ^

The new 12V Lithium-Ion tools are incredible. Never knew what I was missing until I tried an impact driver.

I have that snub nose one and it is friggin great.

Haoleb

« Reply #34 on: 12 May 2013, 03:05 am »
I think one of the most useful tools is a good router with fixed and plunge bases. With the various bits and some know-how you can do damn near anything with one.

I also recently picked up a 23gauge headless pinner that has proven to be quite useful doing finish work. Perfect for holding pieces in place while glue dries and for detail work where you do not really want 18 gauge brad holes to deal with.

JohnR

« Reply #35 on: 14 May 2013, 10:18 am »
[
I think one of the most useful tools is a good router with fixed and plunge bases.

Hi, the only thing I've used a router for is for speaker cutouts. Which needs to be a plunge router, AFAIK.  Could you elaborate, what is the fixed base best for (other than in table)? Thank you

I also recently picked up a 23gauge headless pinner

Assume I have no idea. Could you provide a link or two? Thanks :)

JohnR

« Reply #36 on: 14 May 2013, 10:20 am »
The new 12V Lithium-Ion tools are incredible

Here those are called 10.8V. I've noticed some battery ratings going down too.

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #37 on: 14 May 2013, 01:38 pm »
Here those are called 10.8V. I've noticed some battery ratings going down too.

My old Makita 12V Nicad impact driver had obviously more power than my new Dewalt 12V lithium impact driver. :scratch:

JohnR

« Reply #38 on: 14 May 2013, 01:45 pm »
My old Makita 12V Nicad impact driver had obviously more power than my new Dewalt 12V lithium impact driver. :scratch:

I guess it's like Watts in audio gear - depends on how you measure it exactly. It does leave us consumers relying on reports or experience from consumers in similar situations. Personally I have come to realize that it's really all just a marketing game, real performance is not going to be judged by voltage or Amps on the spec sheet.

django11

• Canuckistani
« Reply #39 on: 19 May 2013, 08:21 pm »
Does this leveling method leave visible plastic in the grout?

No.  Basically the next day you kick them and they break off underneath the tile where a weak point is manufactured in.