Favorite power tools for home renos?

django11

• Canuckistani
Re: Favorite power tools for home renos?
« Reply #40 on: 19 May 2013, 08:29 pm »
This. ^

The new 12V Lithium-Ion tools are incredible. Never knew what I was missing until I tried an impact driver.

I have these and they are great.  Much easier working overhead with these.  I also have the 18 volt Porter Cable with the older technology NiCad batteries.  Heavy extremely powerful and really inexpensive.  This has lasted longer for less money than the comparable model Dewalt which I have also owned.  This is really best bang for your buck.
http://www.lowes.com/pd_159330-79992-PC18ID_0__?productId=3051341

JohnR

« Reply #41 on: 20 May 2013, 12:05 am »
Apparently the reason Bosch now market those as "12V" is because someone else started doing it and they thought they had to "keep up." The argument was (read this somewhere as an official explanation from Bosch but can't find it now...) that when fully charged, the battery gets to about 12V but drops to the regular 10.8V when used. So they're not actually lying to call it "12V"

http://toolguyd.com/12v-max-vs-10-8v-lithium-ion-battery-cordless-tool-platforms/

I have the Makita version (impact driver). It's a riot! Don't think much of the drill, it's works but nothing special.

There's another weird thing, in the US the 10.8V 12V Makita tools are white. Silly.

JohnR

« Reply #42 on: 20 May 2013, 12:31 am »
Apparently the reason Bosch now market those as "12V" is because someone else started doing it and they thought they had to "keep up." The argument was (read this somewhere as an official explanation from Bosch but can't find it now...)

Here:

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showpost.php?p=283423&postcount=1

I'll stop now :) Got to go do some renovation ;)

JohnR

« Reply #43 on: 26 Aug 2013, 11:32 am »
It's been a while, but I thought I might update with my list... or partial.

The Makita 10.8/12 V tools are great for tight spaces and on a budget. I have the impact driver, drill, circ saw, recip saw, and vac. The recip saw and impact driver are my favorites. Just be sure to order the Makita replacement blade packs for the recip saw, they aren't on the shelf (around here anyway) but those 80mm blades are really great for getting into tight spaces for framing and so on.

And for really tight spaces, I love the pro Bosch Multitool. er.. GOP300 I think it's called. The blade quick-change is worth the extra money, I can't imagine using a hex key to change blades with this. Don't buy Bosch replacement blades though, shop around on ebay and try a few out.

I cut with a Festool TS55 saw and guide rail. I'm sure there's cheaper systems that's just as good, but I don't have access to them here. Get the DeWalt clamps for the rail.

The most awesome cordless drill in the world is the Protool PDC18-4. Or the DRC18-4 (I would have gotten that except the PDC was on special). In between this and the cheap Makita kit I can usually load tools up with bits/drivers before I climb up onto/into the roof to get started with repair work.

As far as hand tools go, my carpenter friend gives me tips on hammer technique but didn't tell me which hammer to buy! It makes a difference, I couldn't believe it. A Hart hammer makes me able to actually hit 75mm nails through framing. A Stanley Fatmax is great for bashing on things in general but not for actual nails. Well, you know, YMMV etc....

And, if you're working on/repairing framing, the Kreg Jig HD (and the matching screws) is worth its weight in gold.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #44 on: 19 Oct 2013, 09:50 pm »
This thread still open?

My favorite, most versatile tool "ever" would have to be the Dremel Multi-Max oscillating tool.
It does everything. The coolest use is that it can make flush cuts.

Let's say you want to trim off the bottom of a door casement to make room for a new layer of tile without taking the woodwork off.
That's one of the neat things it can do.

www.dremel.com/en-us/Tools/Pages/CategoryProducts.aspx?catid=2094

mcgsxr

« Reply #45 on: 21 Oct 2013, 12:20 pm »
Cool tool indeed Bob.

That can also cut baseboard to allow a vanity to get into place, or cut baseboard to allow a huge subwoofer to enter a wall...

So I heard, in my basement!

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #46 on: 21 Oct 2013, 01:21 pm »
Indeed!  :lol:

TomS

« Reply #47 on: 21 Oct 2013, 01:33 pm »
I have the Fein Multi-Master version of that and it's just one of those tools you sometimes forget you have it and what it can really do. It's great for all kinds of flush cuts and general fix-its that other tools won't do. It's pulled me out of trouble many a time  :green:

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #48 on: 21 Oct 2013, 02:54 pm »
....sometimes forget you have it ......
Yea, me too. Not sure why that is. But when I'm in a jam, and it dawns on me I've got one, it's like a revelation. 

TomS

« Reply #49 on: 21 Oct 2013, 03:15 pm »
Yea, me too. Not sure why that is. But when I'm in a jam, and it dawns on me I've got one, it's like a revelation.
Exactly!!

Occam

« Reply #50 on: 21 Oct 2013, 03:55 pm »
I dearly loved the pair of Bosch Li battery 12v drivers, that I used on a daily basis.
http://www.cpooutlets.com/bosch-ps21-2a-12v-max-cordless-lithium-ion-pocket-driver/bshnps21-2a,default,pd.html?start=6&cgid=bosch-cordless-drills
But of course, they crapped out a couple of months after their 1 year warranty expired. I considered buying a Millwaukee equivalent with its 5 year warranty. It is quite small and light, like the Bosch -
http://www.cpooutlets.com/milwaukee-2401-22-12v-cordless-m12-lithium-ion-sub-compact-screwdriver/miln2401-22,default,pd.html?start=3&cgid=cordless-drills&prefn1=brand&prefv1=Milwaukee

Instead, I bought their 'Fuel' brushless motor version, which is substantially heavier and cost 50% more. But it does have 2 speeds, higher capacity batteries and functions quite well as a drill in addition to its main driver function.
http://www.cpooutlets.com/milwaukee-2402-22-12v-cordless-lithium-ion-m12-fuel-1-4-in--hex-2-speed-screwdriver/miln2402-22,default,pd.html?start=5&q=fuel

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #51 on: 21 Oct 2013, 04:13 pm »
  My Wife. Good with tools.

charles