JBL 4722’s vs SCL 2’s for Dedicated theater

BYUCougar

JBL 4722’s vs SCL 2’s for Dedicated theater
« on: 3 Jan 2020, 01:25 am »
Hi all.  New guy here, reading everything I can as I work on construction of a 25wX35L dedicated theater under my garage concrete on all sides. 98% movies/2% music

Today I listed to the JBL SCL-2, and loved them.  I didn’t love the $6k/each price tag. 

I’ve stumbled upon JBL 4722’s and am curious how I can expect them to stack up ant a lower price point.    Any thoughts ?

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
Re: JBL 4722’s vs SCL 2’s for Dedicated theater
« Reply #1 on: 3 Jan 2020, 02:01 pm »
What is your design criteria (maximum SPL, lowest bass frequency, etc.)?  How many channels/subs are you considering?   What is your overall budget and budget for speakers?  Being an all concrete space recommend your budget include at least $2k for acoustical treatments (suggest GIK here at Audio Circle for products and advice).

As I mentioned elsewhere the JBL 4722 are beasts, way overkill for this application. 

Have you looked into more ordinary HT speakers that are part of a family of speakers, so you can have speakers specifically designed for front, center, rear, and height effects channel use so that all the speakers would share similar voicing?  Depending on your budget I'd look into SVS, Hsu, Paradigm, or Ascend Acoustics.  These companies also offer subs. 

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #2 on: 3 Jan 2020, 02:04 pm »
I'll sell you an amazing JBL M2 setup for much less than that.  :)

witchdoctor

« Reply #3 on: 3 Jan 2020, 03:46 pm »
I own a 9.1 JBL home theater comprised of the Studio 2 series as bed channels and the Control CRV speakers as height channels. It is amazing and did not cost a lot.

Harman Audio has a big sale right now on their Studio 5 series which is part of their Synthesis line up.

You have the 590 or 580 towers at deep discounts which would be awesome front L-R and surround speakers:

https://www.harmanaudio.com/home-audio/STUDIO+590.html?cgid=home-audio&dwvar_STUDIO%20590_color=Black-USA-Support#prefn1=brand&prefn2=isLuxuryProduct&prefv3=false&prefv4=false&prefv5=Loudspeakers&prefv1=JBL&prefv2=no&prefn3=isRefurbished&prefn4=isSupport&prefn5=name&start=1

the 520 center channel:

https://www.harmanaudio.com/home-audio/STUDIO+520C.html?cgid=home-audio&dwvar_STUDIO%20520C_color=Black-USA-Current#prefn1=brand&prefn2=isLuxuryProduct&prefv3=false&prefv4=false&prefv5=Loudspeakers&prefv1=JBL&prefv2=no&prefn3=isRefurbished&prefn4=isSupport&prefn5=name&start=1

If you are going 5.1 get four towers, a center channel and a sub or two and you are done. If you are going 7.1 or doing an atmos setup you can find other Studio 5 series JBL speakers to match.

witchdoctor

« Reply #4 on: 3 Jan 2020, 03:55 pm »
Here is a review of the 580 towers :

https://www.whathifi.com/jbl/studio-580/review

Currently going for about $320 each, for that price you could use them for all of your bed channels in a 5.1 or 7.1 setup:

https://www.harmanaudio.com/STUDIO+580BK.html

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #5 on: 6 Jan 2020, 12:14 pm »

Jason sold me his old JBL 708P's, the best overall speakers I've ever owned.  The 708P use similar design, controlled directivity.  They would fill your space at $2000 each MSRP, current street price = $1799 each.  Recommend using them for front left/right and center channels.  They are active, so amps already built-in.  Input ideally would be digital (AES/EBU) as they have a built-in DAC.  The smaller 705P ($1000 MSRP, current street price = $899 each), would make for the perfect side/rear/Atmos speakers. 

It that's too rich for your blood, I'd look at the smaller family of JBL 305 MkII/308 MkII with street prices between $100 and $250 each).  Same controlled directivity design.  Again 308 for front left/right and center channel, 305 for side/rear/Atmos channels.  I've heard the 305 and 305 MkII.  The original did nothing wrong but the MkII is more musical and a killer value.  A speaker that should satisfy for a very long time.  They're active too and connect via XLR analog inputs.  They should fill your space. 

AJinFLA

• Industry Participant
  • Soundfield Audio Loudspeakers
    • Soundfield Audio
« Reply #6 on: 6 Jan 2020, 01:26 pm »
Uh oh. That time again?  :)
Now that you're a Floridian, dropping by the Expo this year?

cheers,

AJ